“Grand Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 110 Hotels in Kansas City
St Louis
“Grand Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

This previously was a Ritz Hotel. It is luxe with the old world feeling of paneled walls and antique furniture in the public spaces. The staff is well trained and friendly like one expects, but doesn't always find in beautiful hotels. I opted for a larger room. it wasn't that much more expense than the standard room and worth it. There was a small balcony with table and two chairs overlooking the Plaza and beyond it the midtown area highrises. The bed was bliss. there were black out shades which i like when traveling. Nice closet space with iron and digital safe. Beautiful bathroom, but I had water saving showers in hotels. Not as refreshing as a shower should be no matter how your turn the dial to change the tiny beads of water. The pool deck was overflowing (holiday weekend) and the water refreshing. The hotel wasn't that expensive and definitely worth the price.

Room Tip: all the rooms have a view. the higher the better.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thanks for staying at the InterContinental Kansas City and for awarding us your 5-star rating!

We look forward to another opportunity to serve you the next time you are in our great city!

Don Breckenridge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Finnish first
Wilton Manors, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

I traveled to attend a meeting at the InterContinental Hotel in KC at the Plaza. It's an older nice hotel that use to be a Ritz Carlton Hotel so you have the rich woods you always see in their hotels. The staff was very nice the food was good and the hotel was clean and well kept. One thing I noticed was the way they nickle and dime you on services such as their internet. First of all they don't have free internet in the lobby and you don't have the ability to use the internet if you are attending a meeting, etc. I have not stayed at a hotel in a couple years that didn't at least have free internet service in the lobby. When you do purchase the internet for your room they only allow you to connect 2 items to it. I normally travel with my laptop and my ipad (only to read the daily papers I get) and my iphone.. so I noticed an additional charge for the 3rd connection.. I stopped by the desk and the they explained why the charge... they don't tell you that you can only connect two items to your internet per room without an additional charge.. so they did how ever remove the extra charge .. they would be wise to let people know. Also many of the people attending the meeting could not get into their rooms until 5 to 6 pm and were suppose to be at a reception at that time.. so after traveling they had no were to get changed. I have told groups that I have worked with that they should avoid having their meetings in Kansas City because of all the fees the cities require hotels to add to your hotel bill.. or renting a car at the airport.. I got a car for $10 per day for 3 days yet with all the fees that were added by the city for 2 new buildings downtown they are charging about $5.00 per day for each of them and a new "rental car" facility at the airport which added an additional I think $4 per day as well as some sales tax and state taxes by that time the bill was about $90 for the 3 days.. so the fees are way out of whack and people should avoid flying into Kansas City if they can.

Room Tip: The tower rooms facing the Plaza give you a wonderful view of the area.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

We're very happy to learn you enjoyed the hotel, the amenities and the service provided by our staff.

Like most hotels in the area of the Country Club Plaza, we do charge for internet access. However, please know that IHG Priority Club guests receive free internet access. There is no charge to sign up for Priority Club and you may do so when checking in as it is a very quick process.

We hope you will stay with us again the next time you are in Kansas City.

San Antonio, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

I'm a Royal Ambassador with Intercontinental. If you're not familiar that entitles me to:

Upgrade at booking - nope, had to ask for it at check in. Even after I did, and was indeed upgraded, my status STILL not acknowledged.

Welcome gift - nope.

Fruit and Water - nope.

Free mini-bar - had to ask for one to be put in the room. Then after it was put in the room, had to ask for them to fill it...

Free Internet - called down to the desk and told to put it on my bill and if I'm "a gold or higher" I'd be able to have it taken off at checkout. Hello? Royal. How about acknowledging it. Once. Just once.

I was upgraded, but the carpet is stained, the wallpaper is peeling, and the room is overall dirty.

I've tried calling the manager. He wasn't around. Emailed him. Nothing.

This is a HoJo masquerading as an Intercontinental.

• Stayed August 2013
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

As communicated to you, please accept our apologies for the difficulties you experienced while our guest. Your reservation was not noted as to your Royal Ambassador status, so our staff was not aware you were entitled to the various perks that come with your status. Considerations have been made to you and we hope to have a second opportunity to serve you better in the future.

Kansas City, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Kansas City is a close location for us and the Intercontinental came to the top of search for a fun long weekend. Outdoor pool with resort features was the clencher. We enjoyed the stay, close walking distance to the services provided by the Plaza. Hotel has been remodeled and was clean, but it is showing it age in a few ways.

Rooms were remodeled, staff was courteous and helpful. Pool staff was very attentive overall it met our expectations.. but did not exceed them. Have rated this stay as very good, because average is fair and was the next step.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us!

We're pleased to learn you enjoyed your stay with us. Please stay with us again the next time you are ready for another Stay-Cation!

Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

The InterContinental has changed hands/names many times since I have lived in Kansas City but it remains a classy, well-run hotel that is pricey but a special occasion treat. We stayed here with giggling girls for the One Direction concert. The hotel staff was gracious and always on hand to help. The bell hops were efficient and helpful. The concierge group of rooms hosted lovely snacks and a delightful breakfast which was excellent with breathtaking views of the plaza. (this is a group of rooms you pay extra to be a part of and it allows you private access to these rooms and the snack/breakfast area). Well worth it. The parking is easy (15.00 for self-park $25 for valet per day). They do accept AAA discounts so that was helpful since one double room is around 189.00 with the discount. The pool was fabulous. There was a steel drum being played poolside and it reminded me of a beach retreat with hula hoop and other games. Our view was over the pool looking onto the plaza and it was was amazing. The room was clean and comfortable. My only complaint was the the check in staff. They were not friendly and when I needed a little help they were equally unhelpful. The person in front of me was treated like royalty so I know they are not generally grumpy. I probably did not look rich enough for them. Otherwise, outstanding place if you want a staycation or if you are from out of town this is the place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for the room on the 11th floor-it is a bit more but well worth it.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thanks for the 5-star review! We're glad you enjoyed your experience at the hotel and the concert!

We'll look forward to serving you the next time you are in town!

Lincoln, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I stayed here last week when I was in town for the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City's Agricultural Symposium. This is a very nice hotel in a very nice part of town! Short walk to the nightlife and shopping experiences at the Country Club Plaza. The Oak Room Restaurant is an added feature . . . great breakfast at a very reasonable price. I highly recommend the InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza!

Room Tip: Request a room facing the Country Club Plaza and the sunrise . . spectacular!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us!

We appreciate your kind comments and the 5-star review. We're certainly very happy you enjoyed the hotel's amenities, and those of the Country Club Plaza!

We would love to serve you again in the future, so please stay with us next time you are in town.

Houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

Have stayed here on business several times. Check in staff very nice and good room in good condition. Agree with prior review that AC does not get very cool which is unfortunate as it was warm when I was there on the 17th. But otherwise very comfortable. My only issue was that we were meeting some business associates at the hotel for breakfast and were not only told there was no room but the woman who greeted us was borderline unprofessional and looked completely overwhelmed. Seems like a hotel should be able to handle overnight guests for breakfast (8 am) but we were sent away and walked across the street to the Raphael.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and we're glad you enjoyed your time here. However, it was a surprise and a disappointment to learn of your experience trying to be seated in the Oak Room. What you described is not acceptable.

If you would be willing to share any details with me that would allow us to follow up with the Oak Room Greeter to provide additional training, please contact me at dbreckenridge@kansascityic.com.

Don Breckenridge

Been to InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza? Share your experiences!