You can see from my other reviews that I am not hard to please. We stayed the last weekend of 2012. This was a slow weekend so that we could enjoy the Plaza lights and shopping without the crowds. We requested an early check-in at 2 PM. Being Priority Club Platinum Elite members this is usually accommodated with ease, as are most special requests. We were quite surprised however to arrive after 3 PM (regular check-in time) and be told that there was no room available for us and that we could leave our luggage with the bell-hop and wait in the lounge. We had plans for the day and they did not include this wait. We checked with the front desk after 45 minutes and a room was still not available. We had also requested a high floor and were told that we could be put in the 4th floor. That wasn't exactly what we had in mind, but we just agreed to try to hurry things along. After checking back with the front desk again, we gave up and went shopping in the clothes that we traveled in. Our guests tried to have a good attitude and make the best of it, but it was really inconvenient for all of us as we had brought specific shoes for walking outdoors from shop to shop and they were in our luggage. None of us wanted to have to open up suitcases in the middle of the lobby and dig for proper walking shoes.
Upon return we were told that our suitcases were waiting for us in our room on the 3rd floor. I asked why and was told that the room on the 4th floor had not finished in time. We have stayed there before and the view of the Plaza is not as good on the lower floors and as the point of staying there was to be able to see the Plaza lit up for the Holidays it was disappointing. They were able to find us a room on the 4th floor and move our luggage again. We were given breakfast vouchers for the next morning, but the front desk staff was barely apologetic and only offered the vouchers after expressing for the 3rd time our extreme disappointment.
Once we got to the room that evening however it was lovely. It would have greatly increased our enjoyment to have been able to relax in the room when we arrived. The rooms are very large and the view was excellent. The balcony is large with a table and 2 chairs and plenty of room to enjoy the view of the Plaza. Breakfast the next morning was a buffet Sunday brunch. The service was slow to be able to get drinks or anything requested, but being able to help yourself made the meal pace more enjoyable. Our head server, Timmy had a great attitude and ended up making our breakfast really special. He brought our daughter a special dessert for her birthday and treated us like family.
Overall I would say that the location is exceptional, but if you are coming to be wowed the service level just simply isn't there for that. Frankly, when you pay this much the expectation is greater and I was disappointed and embarrassed for my guests that had to wait so long to be let into our room. I had hoped to impress them, but instead we were all put out and frustrated. I rated the overall hotel as average, as the front desk service level was so poor, but the view and location were good.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, where you will find impeccable service and all the luxuries you have come to expect from an InterContinental Hotel. Our luxuriously appointed guest rooms and superb meeting facilities are all just steps away from the Country Club Plaza entertainment district. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, IHG, Hotels.com, Priceline, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Agoda, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Kansas City At The Plaza Hotel Kansas City
- Kansas City Intercontinental
- Fairmont Hotel Kansas City