“Overall OK, Will stay again.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #17 of 110 Hotels in Kansas City
Riverton, Wyoming
“Overall OK, Will stay again.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

It gets a 4 because of the overall experience, great room rate, great location, comfortable bed, staff may need a little more training. Ask for a view room. Not perfectly clean, room was small. Be careful with weekends, this is a wedding hotel!

Room Tip: Book ahead, ask for plaza view,
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

We're pleased you enjoyed your overall experience and that you will stay here again.

Regarding your comments about staff training, should you care to share any specific feedback with me, please feel comfortable in sending me an e-mail at dbreckenridge@kansascityic.com.

Thanks,

Don Breckenridge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Thornhill, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Stayed here for a weekend for a football game. It is in a great location but the hotel was very disappointing. The rooms are run down and old, not very comfortable.
We atyed on their club level which was supposed to be nicer. The concierge in the club lounge could not think of a restaurant recommendation.
Overall not worth it, there are better places to stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear Guest,

It was disappointing to learn you did not enjoy our renovated guestrooms. We are very proud of the fact we have received the coveted AAA 4-diamond award for 21 consecutive years, recognition which is heavily based on the quality of our guestrooms.

Please accept my apologies for our Concierge's failure to recommend a restaurant to you. They are all very well versed in this area and have always been very quick to suggest their favorites. We have never seen this type of comment before, and will be sure to share your comments with our Concierge team.

Thanks for sharing your feedback.

Macon, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Stayed at the Intercontinental in KC near the Plaza. The view of the Christmas lights from the top floor was excellent. Recommend that you request a room facing the plaza, ours did not and this would have been much nicer. The staff was friendly and helpful. Overall the hotel was nice, a bit dated and agree with other reviewers, room size and bathroom size was small and cramped. The bed was very comfortable and the room was cozy and clean. The best part of this hotel was the close proximity to the plaza, can't beat the location. I was not impressed overall, expected much more; however, I had a nice stay and the employees were friendly and helpful. Had a great time just before Christmas.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the Plaza.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

We're glad you enjoyed the hotel's location, and that you found our staff to be very helpful and friendly!

We're disappointed you felt the restroom was small, but hope it had all the amenities you expected.

We'll look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Happy New Year!

missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Had a king room with a balcony and plaza view. Room was large and very nice, bed was comfortable and the bathroom was large and clean. Loved having the plaza view with the Christmas lights and being so close to be able to walk across the street and be on the plaza.
Room and the hotel had everything we needed. Had the brunch on Sunday and it was very good. The room with the exericise equipment was very nice with ample machines. All staff were very nice and helpful.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thanks for staying with us and thank you for posting your 5-star review!

We're very happy you enjoyed all aspects of your stay, and we all look forward to serving you during your next trip to Kansas City!

Happy Holidays!

Naples, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Property looks and feels stale. Employees make you feel at home, so that is a nice plus, but overall not what I generally want from this chain...However, yoou can'r beat the location if you need/want the Plaza!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, December 15, 2012
Dear Guest,

We're happy to learn you enjoyed the hotel's superior location on the Plaza, and that our staff made you feel at home.

Since 2009, every area in the hotel has been renovated, so it was disappointing to see your comments about the hotel being "stale". If you would like to share any more feedback along these lines, please feel to send me an e-mail at dbreckenridge@kansascity.com.

Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We had a room on the 11th floor (concierge level) and since we normally stay at HI Express or LaQuinta, of course the size of the room blew us away! One whole wall was floor-to-ceiling windows with a great view of the Plaza. It surprised me that this bathroom in this huge room (with 2 closets) was so tiny! Mouldings were chipped/a little moldy and had been painted over many times. Decor was a little dated, and lighting could have been brighter.

We went to the "happy hour" in the concierge lounge, great view, light snacks and make your own drinks. Good to meet friends before dinner. We were in a party in the rooftop lounge, and the food was top notch! Would have been a nice touch to have a couple waitresses taking drink orders in the room, but it was ok.

The price for this room was about what an all-inclusive resort costs, and nothing was included (except the happy hour and a small cold item only continental breakfast). So, based on value, I would not choose to stay here. Based on proximity to the plaza and the view, it is nice.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear Guest,

We're pleased you enjoyed your large guestroom and expansive view of the Plaza.

Our bathroom size is very similar to all other hotels I have worked at and visited, but I'm sorry it was smaller than you expected.

We're also disappointed you didn't find value in our 11th floor Concierge's Lounge. We consistently hear from guests that they really enjoy the complimentary cocktails & Hors D'oeuvres in the evening, and the complimentary continental breakfast in the morning. The breakfast features fresh baked goods, fresh fruits, fresh juices, lox and bagels, granola, yogurts and a wide variety of other beverages.

Please know we appreciate your feedback and value your business. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Overland Park, KS
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I live in Kansas City and stayed at the Intercontinental for a wedding, where the reception was in the rooftop ballroom. I needed to get ready for the wedding, checked in at 4:30 (supposed to be checked in any time after 3 pm) and they didn't have a room ready! Told me they'd call me when one was available. I got a call at 5:45 saying my keys were at the front desk...a little late for the 6pm wedding I was attending. My boyfriend had his credit card on file for the room, yet they needed mine to actually swipe to check in. In hesitation, I gave them mine (afraid we would get charged twice). After checking out the next morning, we went to the front desk to assure only one card would be charged. His card was on file to be charged, and they charged his $196. I then checked my account to double check, and I have a charge from them for $296! Also, after driving back from the wedding to the hotel, there was no parking in the parking garage...I parked my own car, and carried my own bags from the driveway into the hotel...where the valet proceeded to tell me that where I parked was for valet only - even though all FOUR levels of the garage were full, and proceeded to charge me $7 for valet when they didn't even park my car or carry my luggage. Terrible experience for the price we paid.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Please allow me to apologize for your unpleasant experience. Obviously, we failed to provide you with the level of service you have a right to expect.

I would appreciate it if you would contact me at dbreckenridge@kansascityic.com so I may get more details from you and make amends.

Don Breckenridge

Been to InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza? Share your experiences!