“Class in a way....but no free wifi...” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #14 of 111 Hotels in Kansas City
Stadsbygd
“Class in a way....but no free wifi...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for four nights during the IBPA - conference in the beginnig of November 2012. The hotel is i classic and gives a sense of heavy class. But it is worn... It is in need of an upgrade The location is great on the Plaza. But in a hotel like this - you dont expect to pay $12 pr 24 hours to use internet on two devices. If you use it in three devices it turned out you have to pay another $12. That should not be necessary in the year of 2012.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your opinion on Trip Advisor.

We're happy that after your 4 day stay at the hotel, you left with the thought that the hotel had a heavy sense of class.

I would be interested to hear your specific thoughts on which areas of the hotel are in need of renovation. All guestrooms, the Oak Bar, the Oak Room and the 11th floor Concierge's lounge were completely renovated in 2009. Since that time, each guestroom corridor has also be renovated, as has the hotel lobby and many exterior areas of the hotel. If you would like to share more thoughts with me, please feel comfortable in contacting me at dbreckenridge@kansascityic.com.

As with any product or service the hotel provides, the rates are established by market place conditions. A large majority of the full service hotels on the Plaza continue to charge for internet access, so we presently do also.

We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Don Breckenridge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Finnish first
Fancy Gap, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the Intercontinental for a conference. The hotel was nicely located near the Country Club Plaza which is home to great restaurants and shopping. The room was very nice and clean and the bed was very comfortable. The view from our room was a nice view of the shopping and restaurant area. It rained one day so we ate at the hotel restaurant for lunch and the lunch buffet was excellent.

Stayed November 2012
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your 5-star review!

We're obviously very pleased you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us, including your guestroom, the unobstructed view of the Plaza and lunch in the Oak Room!

We hope you will stay with us again the next time you are in Kansas City.

Geneva, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We always look forward to our stays at this hotel. The service and location are top notch. The concierge lounge is well worth the upgrade, especially for desserts and after dinner drinks. We'll be back!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and for posting your 5-star review on Trip Advisor!

We're glad you enjoyed your stay and found value in upgrading your reservation to include use of the 11th floor Concierge's Lounge. It really is a great opportunity to enjoy complimentary food and beverage offerings while taking in the beautiful view of the Plaza. The personalized service provided by the Concierges is a great way to feel pampered.

Thanks for your loyalty to the hotel and we'll look forward to serving you the next time you are in town!

Trumbull, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

Here for a 3 night business stay. The service is impeccable and the location can't be beaten. Rooms are large and very nicely appointed, but the bathrooms could used a bit of updating. Gloppy latex caulking around the tub and marble surfaces is not what you would expect to find in a hotel of this quality. Overall, a fine hotel with a terrific staff.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thanks for staying with us and posting your thoughts on Trip Advisor!

We appreciate your kind comments about our staff, the service they provide and the location of the hotel.

My apologies for the concerns you had with the caulk in your bathroom. If you would like to let me know which room you stayed in, we will be sure to re-caulk the bathroom. You may contact me at dbreckenridge@kansascityic.com.

Rock Falls, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Hotel is located right across from the Plaza. Tons of shops and dining options.

The bar in the hotel has a decent selection of food for a reasonable price and the wait staff is very friendly.

The lobby offers free coffee and tea in the morning and lemonade in the afternoon/evening. Nice touch!

We booked a standard Kind and were upgraded. The room had 2 balconies, 2 bathrooms, a sitting area and was clean and comfortable. The room faced the main road but i thought the noise level was low and not bothersome.

I would reccomend this hotel to anyone wanting to stay near the Plaza or traveling on business!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your 5-star experience on Trip Advisor!

We appreciate your kind words and will look forward to serving you again.

Very happy to learn you received a free upgrade.

We're also pleased you enjoyed the complimentary drinks in the lobby. The lemonade has been a big hit during the summer and fall, but my guess is that Hot Chocolate will soon be the featured item!

ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

My wife and spent three nights in this hotel recently. We were on the lounge level. The service and the amenities of this Intercontinental were far superior to the lounges in two other hotels of this brand we stayed in recently; Madrid and London. Starting with breakfast, then to a light lunch, then cocktails and snacks before we went out to dinner and lastly after dinner cordials and sweets. Both concierge; one in the morning and one in the evening, were outstanding. We were there over a weekend; Craig and Neil were their names as I recall.

The hotel is ideally located in a fine shopping area and shops are within walking distance. We come to Kansas City quite often and normally stay at a hotel across the street from the Intercontinental but could not get in there this time. So the good news is that we found a great alternative for the future.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the 5-star review!

We are so appreciative that you gave us a try and also, thrilled to learn you enjoyed all aspects of your stay! We are excited to now be your hotel of choice and will look foreward to serving you again in the near future.

Whenever I may be of personal service to you during a stay with us, please feel comfortable in contacting me at dbreckenridge@kansascityic.com.

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I was recently at this hotel for a convention and stayed for 4 days, 3 nights.
PROS: - Great location and very comfortable bed, pretty hotel.
CONS: My room was on the second floor right above the lounge. Needless to say I didnt get to sleep very early any of the nights. The music and people outside of the lounge kept me up well past 12:00 every night and the hotel wouldnt move my room. Not only was I exposed to some filthy businessmen talk until 12:00am, but the cigar smoke wefted into my room as well. Another con: I found a corn remover in my sheets! GROSS thing is, I dont have corns and it wasnt mine!

Room Tip: Ask to be put as far away from the lounge as possible. Rooms overlooking the plaza are the best.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Please accept my apologies for the fact you were kept awake by the music in the Oak Bar and by the guests were were sitting outside on the terrace. We stop the music on Wednesday's and Thursday's at 11:00pm.

Although I do not know the dates of your stay, I am confident we were sold out as if we were not, our staff would have been more than happy to move you to a quieter room.

I would appreciate the opportunity to learn more about the corn remover you found in your bed. It would be very helpful to know your room number and dates of stay so that we may follow up with our housekeeping staff to learn what happened. Please feel free to contact me at dbreckenridge@kansascityic.com.

Once again, please do accept my apologies and I hope to hear from you so I can get more details and make amends to you.

Don Breckenridge

Been to InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza? Share your experiences!