“Hotel on the cusp” 4 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #17 of 110 Hotels in Kansas City
“Hotel on the cusp”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

This hotel has all the opulence you would expect of a hotel of this rating. You are greeted with a valet who rushes to your car in his top hat, ready to do whatever he can to start your stay with a welcoming smile. In a red marble lobby with a lovely crystal chandelier and you find a wonderful lounge with high ceilings and a fireplace you can curl up next to while listening to music.

When we got to our room we were welcomed by the same luxury. That night we were able to walk to the plaza.

The hotel, however, could quickly turn and lose it's grandeur. In the bathroom the white marble has been badly stained. In the shower the lighting fixture looks like it was installed by a new home owner trying their hand and DIY. These little attention to details makes one wonder what else could be slipping through the cracks.

These could be something that the hotel is aware about and planning on fixing, it could be that things are slipping here. Minor fixes could keep this hotel great, but it could also be signs of a hotel in decline.

• Stayed October 2012
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thanks for all your feedback and positive comments.

We are very glad to learn you were so impressed with most aspects of your stay.

We are aware that we have 10 guest rooms (out of our 366) that have stained vanity tops. We are in the process of changing these out and will be finished in the next few weeks.

We look forward to serving you again the next time your travels bring you to Kansas City!

Don Breckenridge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
Springdale, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

We have been staying here for 24 years, starting when it was the Alameda Plaza. There have been ownership, and management changes, but it is still, the best location in Kansas City. The rooms and public places have been refreshed as needed, and the staff are very experienced and professional. Our experience in the concierge level lounge was as good as anywhere we've been, the staff there will go to any length to make your experience a good one. We have tried other properties on the plaza, and although good, none measure up to the Intercontinental.

Room Tip: Get a concierge level plaza view, or a deluxe room on the west wing facing the plaza.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the 5-star review and thank you very much for your loyalty to the hotel for the last 24 years!

We're very happy you like the renovations that have been done in the guestrooms, the corridors and public spaces in general.

We're also very pleased you enjoyed the services provided by our Concierges. They truly are a very professional group who really enjoy pampering our guests.

We all look forward to serving you again during your next trip to Kansas City. If I may ever be of service during any of your stays, please do not hesistate to contact me at dbreckenridge@kansascityic.com.

Jacksonville, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Stayed here for several nights for a conference. The hotel is a little outdated, but the rooms are large. Many conference attendees complained about the slowness of the elevators, and we took the stairs sometimes because of this. The hotel restaurant is very expensive (about $20 for a full breakfast.) I had coffee, toast and an egg one morning for $11, and when I gave the waitress a $20, she said they didn't have any change. I ended up charging it to my room instead, and it seemed like this really big deal that someone tried to pay in cash.Other little annoyances during my stay included a front desk that was slow at times, the phone in my room not working (neither one!), and my key being deactivated during my stay. The conference rooms were smallish, but I was able to access wifi. The location on the plaza is nice--lots of shops and restaurants nearby and beautiful views. My favorite thing about this hotel was the fitness center. It has three or four treadmills, two stair climbers, and a couple of elliptical machines, plus many weight machines. The fitness center also has free water and fruit, and the treadmills have TVs on them. Going there was the most enjoyable part of my stay--although I would also rate it excellent on sleep quality. Another plus is that taxis are always waiting right outside the hotel so you don't have to wait around or get one called for you.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Dear Guest,

We never strive to be "just okay", so please accept my apologies for the concerns you had with several aspects of your stay. It is always our goal to exceed each guest's expectations.

Your feedback will be shared with the appropriate departments so that corrective measures may be taken.

Please know we do appreciate your comments, both the positive ones and the ones pointing out the need for improvements.

Waterbury Center, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

We stayed at the Intercontinental Hotel for a week in October. The front desk upgraded us to the 11th floor, which featured a lounge for breakfast and snacks most of the day and well into the evening. The room was fine. The staff was helpful and pleasant. We would definitely stay there again next time we have business in Kansas City.

Room Tip: Most rooms face the Plaza, which is nice, but we took a room facing west and found that it was just...
Dear Guest,

Thanks for staying at the InterContinental Kansas City. We truly appreciate and value your business!

We're pleased you enjoyed your upgrade to the 11th floor, and that you were able to take advantage of the food and beverage offerings in the Concierge's Lounge.

We'll look forward to serving you again the next time your travels bring you to our great city.

Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for only 3 days on a business trip and was very impressed with the hotel, location, and the staff. First, the location is perfect if you would like to stay close to the Country Club Plaza section of Kansas City, which is filled with elegant shops, restaurants, and bars surrounded in beautiful Spanish (Madrid)-themed architecual design. My reservation was for a Superior Room and upon checking into the hotel I asked the friendly woman at the front desk if I could have an upgrade to a Deluxe Room and she was kind enough to check availability and give me a complimentary upgrade to the larger room, which was really nice of her. The Deluxe Rooms have outside balconies with a table and chairs and over look the Plaza area. The room was clean and more than I needed for my short stay in Kansas City. I enjoyed some beers at the bar both nights and the bartender was very friendly. All in all, I enjoyed my stay at the InterContinental Kansas City and even got to see MLB players from the Detroit Tigers check out on the last day of their seires against the Royals. If good enough for them, then good enough for me!

Room Tip: Ask for a Deluxe Room with views of the Plaza. You can't go wrong and will enjoy sitting outsid...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your 5-Star review! We appreciate you sharing your experience on Trip Advisor.

We're very pleased to learn you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us, and that we were able to provide you a complimentary upgrade to a deluxe room. The deluxe rooms are very popular given their incredible view of the Plaza, their larger size, and the increased space on the balcony.

Please know we also appreciate your decision to stay with us and we hope to have the opportunity to be of further service in the near future!

Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I stayed here for about a week in August, 2012 for business. My room was NOT ready on time and clerk claimed I had been upgraded as per my request online, but never was. Location is good, and you can walk to the plaza easily. Restaurant is overpriced, and you can find better eats across the street, anyway. Especially Firehouse Subs! My room door began to malfunction a few days in. Had 6 keys remade, but it never worked. Two days in a row, had to go to desk and have maintenance called to let me into my room. My security lock kept engaging after I would leave, so maintenance had to BREAK the lock and I was left without a secuity lock for duration of stay. Was never offered a new room or upgrade. A fridge would be nice for water, etc. Unacceptable service for this over-priced hotel. Would not recommend and will not stay again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Dear Guest,

Please accept my apologies for the difficulty you experienced with your guestroom door. The door locks are typically problem free, but they obviously caused you to be inconvenienced. Again, my apologies.

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

This is a good property, well run, and located right next to the country club plaza. It has a nice exercize room, friendly lobby, and good banquet service. I was here for an association meeting, and brought my family along. Room service was prompt and good. There is a pleasant-looking outdoor patio and pool area. It is nicely maintained, and one of the nicer example of 1970's landscape architecture I have seen in a long time. Food in the restaurant was good -- with a lot of standard red-meat offerings you expect in Kansas City. I came close to rating this a 4, but I thought there is an overall need to do a better job on the cleaning. Don't get me wrong, this was not a dirty place -- it just needs a bit more care and it would have been a 4. This is good for family or association visits. I would not do business entertaining here.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the Country Club Plaza.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thanks for sharing your story. We're pleased you were happy with your experience in all areas of the hotel!

Leisure and Association travelers do account for a healthy share of our business, but so do the business travelers. Given the hotel's level of service and amenities, and the hotel's central location to anywhere in the metro-plex, we enjoy a very loyal following from the employees of Kansas Citys' smallest and largest companies.

We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Don Breckenridge

Been to InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza? Share your experiences!