“Excellent Hotel overlooking the Plaza” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #15 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Philadelphia
“Excellent Hotel overlooking the Plaza”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for only 3 days on a business trip and was very impressed with the hotel, location, and the staff. First, the location is perfect if you would like to stay close to the Country Club Plaza section of Kansas City, which is filled with elegant shops, restaurants, and bars surrounded in beautiful Spanish (Madrid)-themed architecual design. My reservation was for a Superior Room and upon checking into the hotel I asked the friendly woman at the front desk if I could have an upgrade to a Deluxe Room and she was kind enough to check availability and give me a complimentary upgrade to the larger room, which was really nice of her. The Deluxe Rooms have outside balconies with a table and chairs and over look the Plaza area. The room was clean and more than I needed for my short stay in Kansas City. I enjoyed some beers at the bar both nights and the bartender was very friendly. All in all, I enjoyed my stay at the InterContinental Kansas City and even got to see MLB players from the Detroit Tigers check out on the last day of their seires against the Royals. If good enough for them, then good enough for me!

Room Tip: Ask for a Deluxe Room with views of the Plaza. You can't go wrong and will enjoy sitting outsid...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your 5-Star review! We appreciate you sharing your experience on Trip Advisor.

We're very pleased to learn you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us, and that we were able to provide you a complimentary upgrade to a deluxe room. The deluxe rooms are very popular given their incredible view of the Plaza, their larger size, and the increased space on the balcony.

Please know we also appreciate your decision to stay with us and we hope to have the opportunity to be of further service in the near future!

Don Breckenridge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Finnish first
Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I stayed here for about a week in August, 2012 for business. My room was NOT ready on time and clerk claimed I had been upgraded as per my request online, but never was. Location is good, and you can walk to the plaza easily. Restaurant is overpriced, and you can find better eats across the street, anyway. Especially Firehouse Subs! My room door began to malfunction a few days in. Had 6 keys remade, but it never worked. Two days in a row, had to go to desk and have maintenance called to let me into my room. My security lock kept engaging after I would leave, so maintenance had to BREAK the lock and I was left without a secuity lock for duration of stay. Was never offered a new room or upgrade. A fridge would be nice for water, etc. Unacceptable service for this over-priced hotel. Would not recommend and will not stay again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Dear Guest,

Please accept my apologies for the difficulty you experienced with your guestroom door. The door locks are typically problem free, but they obviously caused you to be inconvenienced. Again, my apologies.

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

This is a good property, well run, and located right next to the country club plaza. It has a nice exercize room, friendly lobby, and good banquet service. I was here for an association meeting, and brought my family along. Room service was prompt and good. There is a pleasant-looking outdoor patio and pool area. It is nicely maintained, and one of the nicer example of 1970's landscape architecture I have seen in a long time. Food in the restaurant was good -- with a lot of standard red-meat offerings you expect in Kansas City. I came close to rating this a 4, but I thought there is an overall need to do a better job on the cleaning. Don't get me wrong, this was not a dirty place -- it just needs a bit more care and it would have been a 4. This is good for family or association visits. I would not do business entertaining here.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the Country Club Plaza.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thanks for sharing your story. We're pleased you were happy with your experience in all areas of the hotel!

Leisure and Association travelers do account for a healthy share of our business, but so do the business travelers. Given the hotel's level of service and amenities, and the hotel's central location to anywhere in the metro-plex, we enjoy a very loyal following from the employees of Kansas Citys' smallest and largest companies.

We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

San Antonio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

The beds were very comfortable and the inside of the hotel was just lovely. I enjoyed everything about my stay including looking out over the balcony. The staff was friendly and brunch at the Oak Room was delicious.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the 5-star review!

We're pleased you were happy with all aspects of your stay and we look forward to serving you again.

Thank you for staying with us!

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

There are a few things that I seek out for every review. This hotel met most of my needs, and surprisingly had a value add for me. See, when I travel, I can never get a cup of coffee like I have at home every morning - just some coffee with vanilla creamer. I don't want a Vanilla Latte that tastes like crap from some coffee shop. I want to put in my own creamer and drink 2 cups. I was totally jazzed that they set up a coffee bar every morning. With flavored creamers for me to dump in there until my heart's content. I was especially jazzed when I got up early to go to the airport and could grab a great cup of coffee to drink along the way. It's the little details that make travelers happy!!! Good Job I. Other than that, here's my standard things if you're traveling with a family - It's very clean, housekeeping - where were they? The room was always cleaned, but I never saw them hanging around the hallways, or calling the room to ask if they could clean it. They just seemed to be totally non intrusive and did a great job. Bed, super confortable. Our room had a pull our sofa, which my daughter and I took turns sleeping on. The room size was awesome. For families, here's the biggie, but I didn't count it against them - no Disney channel unless you want to pay. This hurts when you travel with kids. We got one movie that was 17.00 and watched it 3 times. I thought the price was high. I hate hotels that make you pay for episodes of kids shows - especially public tv. But, I don't count it against them becuase I don't know enought about what the cable company allows or charges them for. Rooms and hallways are quiet. The doors don't SLAM when people shut them, which helps with sleeping. We were on the first floor - street noise was alot to adjust to so if it's a problem for you, request higher up. The most important thing for me - this hotel had to be filled to capacity. They had so much going on. However, they did not miss a beat on service. We walked down to the hotel restaurant (which you should avoid) for dinner and on the way back, the concierge asked how our dinner was. I was impressed that he even noticed we were going there. Overall, this is a great place to stay, close to the plaza - which is where you should eat your meals.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your 5-star review!

We appreciate your decision to stay with us and are very happy you enjoyed all aspects of your stay. The complimentary coffee in the lobby every morning is a big hit with our guests, as is the complimentary citrus water and lemondade each afternoon.

Again, thanks for sharing your experience with others and thank you for staying with us. We all look forward to the opportunity to serve you again the next time you are in Kansas City!

Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

While an older hotel, the location of this Kansas City, MO hotel is excellent. We held a conference here, so I had a chance to really see the quality of service. The hotel staff is friendly and warm, and whether I needed concierge, housekeeping or room service, everything was handled professionally and with great concern to the quality of service. What's more, I became an Ambassador club member a few years back and wowsa, how this has made my stays at Intercontinental Hotels even better. Free wifi, executive floor, executive lounge with lovely fresh breakfast and terrific views, manager's welcome gift of fresh fruit, plates of cookies, chocolates and bottles of chilled water, and what I absolutely adore most - late check-out at 4pm. I am getting SO spoiled with this kind of treatment!

The room I stayed in was on the 10th floor with a view overlooking the pool and Plaza area. Lo and behold, there's a balcony that you can actually step out on, although it is small and oddly shaped so I highly recommend anyone traveling with children will want to be extra careful and be sure the balcony sliding doors are locked and/or blocked. I had a king bed, very well appointed with comfortable pillows and fresh, crisp sheets and comforter. There was an in-room coffee/tea service as well as mini-bar, daily newspaper if you want it (request no delivery if you don't, otherwise you'll get 'em) and a nice-sized bathroom with good shower power.

The age of the hotel shows, especially a bit in the conference areas, but in no way was it unpleasant and the conference services, up to and including coffee and banquet services was good and fresh, service was generally very responsive and timely, and the conference rooms, while oddly spread out between several floors, were themselves easy to work in with plenty of technical assistance available. At times we did find the wifi lagging, particularly as there were a lot of us on the network due to this being an organization of .gov webmasters. So of course we had all our devices and what-not going, but at one point it became unusable, and that needs to be avoided.

I really enjoyed my stay here, and from what I saw, effort is being made to upgrade the pool area and freshen the hotel up a bit for more contemporary tastes. This leaves me very positive that there's a good future for the hotel, which I found to be an excellent spot in downtown KC, MO - easy access to great restaurants. Be sure to try Jack Stack for BBQ. And the hotel's own food for those nights you just need to stay in was quite good indeed.

Room Tip: There are rooms in the tower area and then another connected building, which is only a few floors. I...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the 5-star review!

Your comments will be shared with our entire team. We're very pleased you were so happy during your stay with us and that you felt spoiled with the perks you received due to your Ambassador status!

We'll look forward to spoiling you again during your next trip to Kansas City! Please know how much we appreciate your loyalty!

Edinburgh, sometimes
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

I was here for two days to speak at a conference and someone else was paying - so take that into account when reading my views. The hotel was charming in many ways and certainly provided good support for the conference that took place there - better than many other hotels in my experience. The bar has a really interesting range of beers and good food from nibbles through snacks through full meals, at reasonable prices. There's also a restaurant which seemed to me to be of less value. Breakfast was disappointing - slow service, everything a la carte and overpriced. I expect two out of those three in many hotels but not all three at once.

Room Tip: I was overlooking the creek, which provided interesting views if you expect to be in your room for a...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, September 15, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thanks for letting us know that our staff provided you the needed support during your conference. We're happy to learn you liked our services and enjoyed your experience in the Oak Bar, but were disappointed to hear we were slow in serving you during breakfast in the restaurant. Please accept my apologies.

We hope you will return to the InterContinental Kansas City the next time you are in Kansas City.

Don Breckenridge

Been to InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza? Share your experiences!