“Lots of highs, couple lows” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #17 of 111 Hotels in Kansas City
Louisiana
“Lots of highs, couple lows”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012 via mobile

Stayed Labor Day weekend just to relax. First and best highlight is Melanie in the executive level lounge on the 11th floor. She was warm and gracious and a true asset to the hotel. Bad news if you want to enjoy the pool on weekends. The hotel sells pool memberships to locals. So your 4 star hotel on the plaza in KC turns into Jersey Shore. Great thinking Intercontinental. We had the pool to ourselves during the week, however. Hotel location is the best and staff are friendly and well trained.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, September 15, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thanks for spending your holiday weekend with us and for sharing your thoughts on Trip Advisor.

We appreciate your observation that our staff is well trained as obviously, there is a large focus on this. Your kind comments about Melanie will be shared with her. She really is a true hospitality professional!

My apologies for the pool being crowded on Labor Day. It is a very popular day to spend poolside and the hotel was full over the weekend. I'm happy to hear you were able to enjoy the pool more during the week.

We look forward to serving you again!

Don Breckenridge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Finnish first
Galveston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

In August 2012, I attended a business conference that was held at the Hotel Intercontinental. This was a great location. The Staff from Valet's to the Front Desk on to Management were very helpful and Curtious. Even the behind the scenes staff would greet you as you walked by.

Mirianda Ye was most helpful in getting arrangements made for the differant conference functions during the week our association was there.

The rooms were very nice and comfortable. I did expierence one issue with Housekeeping not cleaning the room on one day. I had been out of the room all day and did not return until late evening. I called down and fresh towels were delivered right away. The next day the Housekeeping Supervisor came to the room in person and apologized for the mix up.

The food is very good, but a little on the pricy side. Almost $20 for breakfast. But they do have a great lunch deal for under $10.

This is an excellant location with many things to do within a short walk of the Hotel. I would most definately stay here again for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: The rooms on the upper floors (4th fl. and up have the better views of the area around the hotel.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your 5-star review!

We appreciate all your kind comments. Please know they will be shared with Miranda and the entire team.

We look forward to your next stay with us.

Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

My wife and I just returned from Labor Day weekend on the Plaza in Kansas City celebrating our anniversary. I booked the Intercontinental for it's location to all the action, relative price point, and foreseeable amenities. I was completely pleased with all three. I had been advised by a client to ask for a renovated room which I did after making my reservation. Upon check-in I asked for any available upgrades. The woman at the front desk said there was one Plaza view suite left on the 10th floor which she gave to us for the same rate. From then on it was all smiles for us. The room was clean, appealing, and comfortable. Since I have no frame of reference for the "un-renovated rooms" I would suggest asking upon making your reservation the same way I did. The valets were all very friendly and quick about bringing our car around. On Saturday night in the lobby bar there were two guys (one on guitar and one on bass) playing popular songs from the last 3+ decades - they were awesome! The hotel is right on top of the action on the Plaza and we were able to walk everywhere including dinner both nights. We chose to experience the restaurants around the hotel, but the Oak Room looked popular. I'm glad that the next time we go to KC we can book the Intercontinental and not think twice. Cheers!

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, September 5, 2012

Happy Anniversary!

We're so happy you spent your special weekend with us! Thanks for choosing the InterContinental Kansas City and thank you for posting your thoughts on Trip Advisor.

Please know we appreciate all your kind comments, and we wll be sure to share them with our team.

Please also know that we do NOT have any "un-renovated rooms". Every guestroom was renovated in 2009. The only exception is our Presidential Suite, which underwent a $250,000 renovation in November 2011.

Again, thanks for staying with us and happy anniversary! We're anxious to be of further service to you during your next trip to Kansas City.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

Stayed in KC one night for business. It was another abnormally (100+degrees) Check-in was a breeze, the rooms were really nice. I did get a chance to eat dinner in the Oak room which I would recommend and overlooked the pool. The lobby was very nice and was setting up some live entertainment for the night. This is in a great location within walking distance to great shopping and additional dinning. Would come back.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 636. It overlooks the entryway.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thanks for staying with us, and for posting your feedback on Trip Advisor!

We're happy to learn you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and that you will stay here again on your next trip to our great city. We will all look forward to the opportunity of serving you again!

Happy Labor Day!

New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

This hotel is located a block from the Plaza shopping area, which has all the upscale national chains, and lots of restaurants. The hotel itself is okay, seems like it could use a facelift. I was attending a conference, so was only there at the beginning and end of the day.

It was very easy to get a taxi, as they wait in the garage to be called by the doorman.

Had a couple of minor issues: the safe wouldn't open, and the toilet didn't flush easily, but no big deal.

Used the gym once, which was fine. I would have gone swimming, but the pool was more for sitting by and drinking than swimming laps.

Concierge (11th) floor is worthwhile.

I'd stay here again if I was in KC.

Room Tip: Ask for the Concierge (11th) floor. You get free breakfast, cocktails and snacks.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thanks for staying at the InterContinental Kansas City, and for posting your thoughts on Trip Advisor.

Your comments about our staff being very nice will be shared with the entire team. My apologies for the difficulty you had with your safe and with the toilet. I hope you made us aware of it during your stay so we could immediately correct the issue.

I don't know what floor you stayed on, but I'm guessing it was a lower floor given your comment about the hotel needing a uplift. Our guestroom corridors did not show as well as the rest of the hotel, and the renovation of all corridors was just completed last week. The lower floors were done last. The new look is very appealing.

Thanks for plugging our 11th floor Concierge's Lounge. There really is great value in purchasing this upgrade considering the food and beverage items served complimentary in the Lounge. Additonally, the view of the Plaza from the Lounge is about as good as it gets.

We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Istanbul
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

We stayed here in August, but I can just imagine what it looks like in November when the lights come on. The room was great; we stayed for two nights and could not have been more comfortable. Kansas City is not the most walking friendly place in the world, but the Country Club Plaza is very pedestrian friendly, and this hotel is right next to it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your 5-star review!

We're very happy you felt so comfortable while our guest. In the hospitality business, that's always our goal, and we feel very passionate about it.

We would encourage you to stay with us when the Plaza lights are on. The lights transform a beautiful outdoor shopping and entertainment area into a magical place. The view from the hotel is really spectacular. The lights will be on this season from November 22, 2012 through January 13, 2012.

Once again, thanks for your kind words and thank you for choosing to stay with us.

Lincoln, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

I spent the week of August 19-24, 2012 at the Intercontinental Hotel in Kansas City, Missouri and it was fabulous! The service was top notch - from the welcoming doormen, to the friendly front desk, to the detailed maid service/turndown service, to the attentive fitness center attendant, to the elegant, inviting hallways and common areas. I did not eat at the restaurant, so I cannot comment on that serivce or quality, but I will detail below the pros and cons of my stay.

The Pros: The Location is one of, if not THE best KCMO has to offer. As a single woman, I felt 100% comfortable walking around the hotel and The Plaza area at night by myself (and I did do this!) The bed was comfortable and the room was spotless every single day of my stay. The fitness center had everthing you would need in a fitness center, however, if I had to complain a little, it would be that the fitness center is small in comparison to the size of the hotel. But it was clean and had adequate ventilation - something we all know can make or break a fitness center at a hotel. The parking is directly connected to the hotel, so my car was never far away had I needed it in a pinch. I had free parking due to the conference I was attending, however, I would guess that the parking is between $10-$20 a day - which is par for the area. The pool is very relaxing and inviting. The fountains in the pool are a nice touch which give you the feeling you are at a day spa - it was nice and there were not a lot of kids splashing around while I was there- another perk of staying at a pricier hotel.

The Cons: The location of being in Kansas City's Plaza is wonderful - if you plan to eat at nearby restauarants regularly, however, being in this location, there isn't a close by drug store or gas station if you were just in the mood for a drink and a candy bar. This sounds a little rediculous, however, the soda/bottled water in the rooms of this hotel are $3.50 and up. So, sometimes I was in desperate need of a diet coke and I was forced to purchase one from the little store in the lobby- which was very expensive. It would have been nice to just run somewhere close by and grab one cheaper. So- word to the wise of those staying here for a few days or longer, stop somewhere and stock up on bottled water/soda before you arrive at the hotel.

All in all, I would definetely stay here again if I was in the area. It's not just a star or two above your normal Hilton or Marriott, it's 3 or 4 stars above them! (OH! And for a fun time and great food and beer, be sure to hit up O'Dowds Little Dublin Irish Pub in the Plaza. It's within walking distance and is AWESOME!)

Room Tip: **when checking in (and this goes for any large, conference accomodating hotel) be sure to ask if th...
Dear Guest,

Thanks for posting your experience on Trip Advisor! We appreciate your comments that you found our service to be top notch and our staff very friendly.

Obviously we are biased, but we agree with you that our location is the best in Kansas City. The Country Club Plaza offers so much variety relative to dining, shopping and night life. With the hotel being just a few shorts steps from the Plaza, our location really is perfect.

Once again, thank you for sharing your thoughts and thank you for your business.

We'll look forward to serving you again the next time you are in Kansas City!

Don Breckenridge

Been to InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza? Share your experiences!