“Great stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 110 hotels in Kansas City
Geneva, Illinois
“Great stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

We stayed at the hotel for only one night, but wished we'd stayed longer. Everything was terrific. The room was very nice, and it had a great view of the Plaza. Each member of the staff went out of their way to offer assistance or to just say hello if nothing was needed. If you are on the fence about booking a concierge level room, go for it! In addition to free cocktails in the evening, they offer desserts and after dinner drinks from 8:30-10. The chocolate cheesecake alone would cost $8-$9 at a nice restaurant. Breakfast included lox and bagels. Concierge staff was great. We'll be back!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, October 5, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your 5-Star review of your stay with us. We'll be sure to share your feedback with our AAA four-diamond rated team!

Very pleased to see you found the value in staying on the Concierge level. Given the complimentary food & beverage offerings in the Concierge's Lounge, the upgrade fee definitely pays for itself. Additionally, you can't beat the view!

Again, thanks for posting your review and thanks for choosing the InterContinental Kansas City. We'll look forward to your next visit with us and hope you'll be able to stay longer than one night.

586 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Kansas City, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

Was on my first business trip after having a baby. Reserved a room with the need for a refrigerator to store breastmilk after pumping. I confirmed this need one week prior to arrival. When I arrived at 10PM on a Thursday night, the front desk staff confirmed the need for the refrigerator. I got to the room and the refrigerator was not there. I called down, waited over an hour, called again at 11PM, only to be told there were none. The only offered suggestions were to use ice in buckets, the "mini-bar" (which was warm) or the "hotel staff" refrigerator downstairs. Totally unacceptable options. The only good thing I can say about it was the front desk staff and manager were pleasant about it.

Room Tip: Tower rooms are sometimes ones facing the Plaza for a good view. Wing rooms don't always face t...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, September 26, 2011
Dear Guest,

Please accept my apologies for our failure to have a refrigerator in your room upon your arrival. We're pleased you found our managers responsive in following up on this.

Once again, my apologies and we hope to have a second opportunity to be of better service to you.

Omaha, NE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

I was here for 2 nights during a Board retreat. Overall, the hotel is very nice with a feeling of luxury. It is starting to show its wear a bit, especially in the hallways (scuff marks and chunks taken out of the walls) and the meeting rooms. The room and room amenities were very nice, and the staff was extremely friendly. The Plaza was also a 3-minute walk from the hotel. The bar at the hotel was also great and spacious for our large group.

Dear Guest,

Thanks for posting your comments on Trip Advisor. We're happy to learn you enjoyed your stay. Regarding your comments about the condition of the guestroom corridors, we wanted to let you know we have ordered new carpet and new wall coverings for all corridors. We expect to receive them toward the end of the year. The installation will begin as soon as they are received.

Thanks for choosing the InterContinental Kansas City and we'll look forward to serving you again the next time you visit Kansas City!

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

I have been flying home to KCMO to visit family 3 times a year for the last 8 Years! Every time I come back I stay at the Intercontinental Plaza. I cannot say enough good things about this hotel. Yes I have had some issues occasionally with a room or with staff, BUT they are always addressed if I spoke to any one at the front desk. Plus any issues that I have ever had are basic. Over the last 8 years I have come to accept the Intercontinental Plaza has my "second home". I joined the Ambassador Club over 4 years ago which makes my stay even better! Free WIFI in my room. A free Movie each stay. I always try and get upgraded to the hotel "Club Level". This makes my stay over the top. In the morning they have an easy to use cappuccino machine. Wonderful continental breakfast. Plus a view of the "Plaza" that can't be beat. Evening cocktail hour is my downfall. After a visit with my family during the day,getting back to the hotel's Club Level by 5 for an open bar cannot be beat. The concierge during the morning and the evening are the most helpful at anything. I know them by name and have enjoyed talking with them on every visit. They will give me great pointers of any new restaurants that have opened.
The hotels gym and locker room is very clean and oh so spa like. The men's locker room has both a dry sauna and a steam room. I don't have this luxury at home so I take full advantage of it here!
I read some of the posts here and laugh about people complaining over small things that can easily be fixed by going to the front desk.If there is something wrong with a room asked to be switched, any hotel will switch a room for you. On one stay my room was to close to the elevator and I could hear that ding sound when it reaches the floor. No problem, they actually came up and moved my stuff for me! It really is not fair treatment to post an ugly review after you got back home. The hotel wants you as a customer and will bend over backwards to make you a happy guest! If you are ever in KCMO give this hotel a try, you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Join the Ambassador Club
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thanks for the glowing comments regarding your recent stay. Please know your feedback will be shared with the team.

We're obviously pleased you find such great value in your Ambassador membership. It really is a great way to enhance the experience.

Again, thanks for the kind words and thanks for your business. We'll look forward to serving you again in the near future!

Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

Overall- Wonderful location in the heart of the Plaza. Walking distance (across street) to great local restaurants & variety of shops. (mid range to high end). Great lobby bar with live jazz/entertainment on certain nights of the week. During baseball season, hotel of the visiting team playing the Royals. Elevators are a little slow, and dated.

Rooms- Rooms were very nice, bathrooms updated, great maid service.

Meeting- Meeting space was elegant and updated. Easy to work with conention services managers. Beautiful chandeliers, and food/service was on point. A/V was a little dated. They have a wonderful 'rooftop bar/ballroom' that is enclosed but overlooks the city. Meeting room layout overall is a little maze-like, but easy to navigate after the 1st day.

Room Tip: Plaza view rooms are the best.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, September 19, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thanks for staying with us and for posting your review. We're very pleased you enjoyed your stay and we all look forward to serving you again during your next visit to our great city.

Monroe, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

Helpful & knowledgable staff, rooms clean, premises & meeting rooms clean, good food.

Room Tip: Ask for room on Brush Creek side for best view toward Alameda Plaza Shopping area
Dear Guest,

Thanks for letting us know you enjoyed your stay. Please know how much we appreciate you choosing the InterContinental Kansas City.

We invite you to stay with us again the next time you are in town!

El Paso, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

The staff were great. The rooms were very nice. The food was excellent. The location is great. The elevator and hallways need some repair.

Room Tip: Be nice to the front desk clerk
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, September 13, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thanks for sharing your experience and we're very pleased you enjoyed our staff, your room and our food.

We wanted to let you know that new carpeting and wall coverings have beeen ordered for all guestroom corridors. We expect the install to begin in late Decemeber and the new look will be beautiful! Please come back and let us know what you think. Also, we are in the process of modernizing the controls in both of our wing elevators. This work will be completed by Thanksgiving.

Again, thanks for posting your review and please know we appreciate you staying with us.

Don Breckenridge

Been to InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza? Share your experiences!