“Horrible! Do not Stay Here” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #36 of 111 Hotels in Kansas City
A TripAdvisor Member
“Horrible! Do not Stay Here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2005

Stayed here with a group convention and was less than impressed. Even though it's close to Kansas City Convention Center and Bartle Hall, you may or may not have to cross the Skywalk to the "renovated" Mulebach hotel, which is now part of the Marriott. The actual Marriott looked great, but I wouldn't know as I stayed in the Mulebach addition, which was old, musty and had elevators that smelled like urine.

Don't eat at the Pam Pam restaurant either--room service of steak soup and salad woke me at 3:30 a.m. with symptoms of food poisoning and others in our group fell ill, as well. Food at the restaurant was very mediocre.

Wireless internet is $9.95 a day, which is a typical fee, but their website says its part of the stay. And to top it off, they double charged my credit card upon checking out--have now spent 2 hours trying to get their less then competent accounting staff to remove the additional charge.

Oh, and parking, $14.00 a day valet, unless you want to walk 3 blocks from a parking garage that's being renovated with jack hammers. All in all, the worst hotel I've been at in a very long time. I will not stay again, I would go to a Super 8 first, at least there you know what to expect for the money you pay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Richland, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2005

We asked for a 2 1/2 star hotel on Priceline. We were upgraded to a 3 star hotel, the Marriot. With a 3 star comes with extra toiletries, but we needed to pay for parking, breakfast and internet. With the 2 1/2 star hotels we had been staying at there was free parking, breakfast and internet. The priceline upgrade made this stay more expensive than we anticipated.

St. Louis, MO
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2005

I booked my room at the Marriott, hoping to find similar quality and service that I've enjoyed at other Marriotts. This was NOT the case. Starting with my check in experience until my departure the next morning, I was very disappointed.

At checkin, I had to wait in line and then was treated indifferently.

When I got up to my room, it was hot, sticky and NOT clean. The entire room is in desperate need of a face lift. In fact, the whole hotel is worn out. There were hairs on my sheets, the bathroom wasn't clean and the carpet was disgusting. I couldn't even sleep w/ the comforter on b/c it was so dirty.

I will not be staying here again.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2005

My wife and I were in KC for a convention from July 26-31 and stayed at the Marriott due to its location near the KC Convention Center. Overall, the stay was fine. Our room was very clean and big and the king sized bed was extremely comfortable.

The staff was very friendly and helped us with driving directions numerous times. There was a slight mix-up upon check-in but that was taken care of in a fast, curteous and professional manner.

I only have two complaints. Our bathroom sink faucet dripped and they charge $10/day for high-speed internet. I was able to use a dial-up service for $1 per connection.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2005

I visted and stayed at this hotel from July 3-9
I must admit the rooms met my taste and I had no problems with the room. Well I guess I need to change that. On the third night of my stay my room begin to smell like cigarette smoke. I reported it the front desk manager who has still not returned my call and I am now at home. The customer service was awful.I think they are the rudiest people I ever met in my life. It may just be a Kansas City thing. Over all I was pleased with my stay and especially the access to the convention center and Lilly's restaurant. The Valet was the most pleasing staff and I really thank Jeremy who addressed me by name and not a number at each encounter.

Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2005

I was at the Marriott Downtown Kansas City in mid June, 2005.

Most people (and me, I figure) tend to write a review when they've either had a really bad or really good experience. The Marriott Downtown was neither a place to trash or write home about. Check-in was fine although I was put in the 'other' building and I was, at first, a little disappointed in the room - seemed more run down than I would have expected for a downtown Marriott. Wake-up calls happened on time and room was made up each day in a reasonable time. Room service was fine although one night I called for a particular entree and they had sold out of it (???) at 5:30pm. It was a busy weekend and really, the only thing that I could say that made it a negative experience was the concierge guy. I can't remember his name, but he was just flat out rude. He didn't want to be there and since they wouldn't let me have late-check out my bags had to be stowed away and you could see that it 'killed' him to put them in the back and then a few hours later pull them out. I've had a great experience at the Airport Marriott and will probably try the Plaza next time. Probably won't come back here since there wasn't really much else in the area.

• Stayed June 2005
Atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2005

This is the tale of 2 hotels. I've stayed there twice. The first time, I stayed in the main (older) section of the hotel. It was prefectly nice. Recently, I was put across the street at the annex or secondary building. That was a different story. My room was what I would expect to find at an old, run down Holiday Inn. The bed was uncomfortable. Not impressive.

Otherwise, it's a pretty nice hotel with a good location and large facilities.
Make sure you stay in the main building.

• Stayed April 2005, traveled on business

Been to Kansas City Marriott Downtown? Share your experiences!