“Good downtown hotel option” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Power and Light Package
Ranked #44 of 110 hotels in Kansas City
Tulsa, Oklahoma
“Good downtown hotel option”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We stayed here for a concert at the Sprint Center. The hotel is very convenient, the rooms are clean and nicely appointed, and the staff were courteous and professional. The hotel is conveniently located for a lot of downtown attractions. Parking was the low point. There is a self park garage under the hotel but you can't get directly into the hotel from the garage - the elevators bring you up across the driveway. The valets also want you to park in the garage before you check in and drag your luggage up with you. I understand that we could have valet parked for a little more money and avoided this but I've never been to a hotel where you couldn't at least offload your luggage and/or check in before dealing with getting your car parked.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Rusty M, General Manager at Kansas City Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay here at the Kansas City Marriott Downtown. So glad you enjoyed our Midwest hospitality! We have relayed your comments about the parking to the appropriate department and hope to use this as a learning experience and make improvements going forward. Hope to see you return again soon!

470 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Des Moines, Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I am a Rewards member and have stayed in A LOT of Marriotts in my time. This is not worthy of the name. We had to valet because the self-parking "ran out of" tickets. I have a suspicion this happens a lot, though. The people at the front desk were unfriendly and lacking in social skills. They are also unfamiliar with the building. We asked for a view of the river, and they told us that's what we had. When we got to our room; however, it was over looking the city power plant. Are you telling me, you don't know which side of the hotel the river is on?

It's an older building, so the bathrooms are small. The room was big, however, and nicely decorated (although it lacked a fridge and a coffee pot (had a coffee maker, but not pot!)

In the morning, the hotel ran out of hot water. Seriously? Also, they charge for the Internet! For $150 a night, I could stay at a Comfort Inn and get hot water, free parking, and free Internet. So why did I stay here?

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Rusty M, Manager at Kansas City Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
I am sorry to hear about the problems you encountered at our hotel. I appreciate you letting me know so that we can improve our service. I will be happy to speak with you further about the experience so that we make sure all issues are resolved. Please call me directly at the Kansas City Marriott Downtown at 816-855-4407. In the meantime, I will be working diligently with our staff to make positive changes. Thank you, Valerie Minner, Director, Rooms Operations
Des Moines, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

We stayed Friday July 19, 2013 for the One Direction concert. Hotel was very nice and all employees were very very nice. Check in was great. Valet employee was nice. Bar food was very good each time we ate there. Although the darn waitress was being run all over, need more waitresses!! Elevators were extremely SLOW! Nice pool too and nice view of KC. On tv check out was great. We should of called ahead to see how backed up valet was in getting our truck though. We waited in line. We were told 1/2 hr wait time. We offered to get our truck ourselves but were told no, we couldn't go downstairs by ourselves. They wouldn't hand over our keys. We waited for over 40 minutes!!!!!!! Valet employee's were running to get more vehicles! We again got in line. Quite a few of us went inside to complain when the girl left the valet desk!! When my husband got back to the front of the line he requested our keys NOW and yep our keys were just laying there. Keys were finally handed out to people and we went down to the parking garage and got our truck ourselves. We had reserved tickets to Sea Life to get to. Thanks for the stay but when one place in your hotel gets backed up employee's should be moved over to help out. To many people were left waiting in the heat for their vehicle!!!! Do NOT valet your vehicle at Marriott!!! :)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Rusty M, General Manager at Kansas City Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Just wanted to thank you for your recent stay here at the Kansas City Marriott Downtown! So glad you were able to experience our authentic Marriott midwestern hospitality! We apologize for the wait you encountered with our valet service. This is not typical of our valet service and we are incredibly sorry for the inconvenience. We hope to see you again soon!
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

This is an average Marriott hotel located just a short walk from the Sprint Center, food, fun, and nightlife. There was never a wait for the elevators even though the hotel was packed. The king bed room was a good sized room with a love seat, lounging type chair, and a nice view of downtown. The bed was comfortable. The air conditioning did work very well keeping the room nice and cool. The bathroom had a lot of counter space but was fairly small. The shower was terrible...there was very little water pressure. The TV was nice with a limited amount of channels. The paid internet was horrible. I had better speeds on my 3G phone than with the hotel "high speed" internet.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience. I am happy to hear you found the guest room and our downtown location to your liking. We look forward to serving your future travel needs at the Kansas City Marriott Downtown should you return to the Kansas City area!
Andover, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

While my husband and I visited Kansas City for a three day convention we were very disappointed in the quality and state of the guest rooms. We also could not believe that we were charged for internet usage in this day and age.
During our stay we did visit the hotel's lobby bar which seems to have been newly renovated and was very pleasant. We were served by the nicest bartender who seemed to know the area and things to do around town during our down times. She even went out of her way to make reservations for us at a local steak house that was outstanding. So if visiting Kansas City we highly suggest the 801 steak house and visiting Helen at the lobby bar for great service and reccomendations to local spots.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for staying with us at the Kansas City Marriott Downtown. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed our lobby bar and that Helen was helpful! I'll be sure to share your comments with her. We are currently working on a renovation schedule to begin updating the look of our guest rooms in the future. We hope you will give us another chance in the future, experience our new look and let us turn your experience into a positive one!
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I stayed here for five days and four nights while attending a conference.

CHECK-IN: Staff is very friendly and everyone says hello to you from the time you walk through the door. The lobby is gorgeous and I was very impressed. I arrived early (a little before 1pm) but the girl at the front desk said it was no problem and there was a room ready. I was waiting for the three other girls (we shared a room to cut costs) to arrive and I was the first one there.
I was initially given a room on the 9th floor of the main building. The room was very clean and the beds were very comfortable. I decided I would take a nap while waiting for my friends since I had been up since 3 am (for the airport). About 5 pm I get a call from my friends asking where I am. They were on the 17th floor! I was given the wrong room. HOWEVER, I went downstairs to the front desk and got everything situated and they were very good about it.

The second night I moved to stay with other girls in the Muehlebach Tower. The room was clean but I do hate that they didn't have refrigerators or microwaves, especially since we were staying so many days. There was a hair dryer but it was in the closet. The Tower is definitely not as wonderful as the main building but it is very old.

As far as charge for incidentals goes.....I travel for business a lot and I know to expect this charge. HOWEVER, upon speaking with different people that were at the same conference, everyone seemed to be charged something different. I was charged $150 but another girl was charged $800????? And another was charged another amount??? It seems like they have to get their s**t together regarding this incidental charge. Maybe come up with some kind of consistent policy if they haven't already. Or maybe better training. All I know is that it DEFINITELY has to be corrected.

METROPOLITAN KC: This is the restaurant inside the hotel and it was delicious. Every meal we had here was outstanding. The breakfast buffet was delicious as well as dinner. Our dinner waiter seemed to be rushed though and even though he may have been...It's not our fault and I don't like feeling that way.

BAR: Had decent food, ok service--one of the bar staff told us the blue KC martini (whatever it is called) was horrible and that she only made one or two a year. When we asked her to make it anyway she gave us a weird look. The drink is supposed to come with "house made lemon sorbet", however, right in front of us, she scooped out some kind of orange ice cream out of a Ben & Jerry's container and plopped it in the drink. Nice (sarcastic).

There is a fitness center and a pool but I wasn't able to check out either. A friend that used both said she really enjoyed it and the machines are great.

This hotel is in an area close to the Power and Light district. We had fabulous mexican food and you MUST check out "Howl at the Moon" bar. They had dueling pianos and we had a blast.

Check out was incredibly simple and the front desk was able to separate our checks between the three of us with ease. I honestly didn't even know they could do that!

Room Tip: Stay in the main building...it's much nicer!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Rusty M, General Manager at Kansas City Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Thanks for your comments about your recent stay with us. We greatly appreciate you adding your experience--we are always listening to our Guests. Hope to see you return again soon. Safe travels!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I stayed there one night on a Saturday during a Silpada jewelry conference but I was not affiliated with this conference in any way. When we arrived, a woman was yelling at the front desk staff. She didnt want to put down a credit card for incidientals and felt yelling was the best way to get around that. I waited while the front desk girl and another guy explained why and finally she stormed off yelling at someone on her phone. The front desk guy ( I think his name was Matt Layne, maybe) was amazing. The hotel was absolutely packed but he worked promptly to get us checked in and to our room asap. We were in the Mueleback Tower and I loved it. It was far away from the hustle and bustle of that conference but had its own entrance so when we walked to surrounding nightlife, we were able to get back into our tower without going to the main tower. Check out the parlor suites, they are awesome and HUGE! It was 2 rooms a living/dining room and a bedroom but it was actually 2 rooms with 2 different room numbers. If you want space and luxury, stay here. Part of our stay included a voucher to Power and Light. While the voucher wasnt readily available, the staff did say that they would get it asap and get it to our room. I appreciated not having to wait since we were still wet from being at Oceans of Fun so I thought this was very considerate. The voucher came within 30 minutes which I thought was very prompt considering how busy they were. The room was clean and there were 2 bathrooms, 2 tvs and a very comfortable bed. The bedroom TV was fuzzy but we didnt care, we werent there to watch tv anyways. I probably should have told them so they could fix it. We ate breakfast in the restaurant there and had the buffet. It was delicious, the staff was amazing and it was a very nice upscale hotel restaurant. I left my flat iron there and didnt notice until I got home. I called and the lost and found gentleman who was working had it there and said he would mail it to me and I didnt even have to pay to ship it. I thought the staff was top notch and I was treated amazingly.

Room Tip: Great location, great staff
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Rusty M, General Manager at Kansas City Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thanks for staying with us at the Kansas City Marriott Downtown. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that Matt at the Front Desk was helpful with your check-in! I'll be sure to share your comments with him. Many thanks for your great comments about our restaurant and guestrooms. We look forward to serving your travel needs should you return to the Kansas City area.

Been to Kansas City Marriott Downtown? Share your experiences!