“Really nice staff, average property” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay for Breakfast!
Ranked #37 of 111 Hotels in Kansas City
New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
“Really nice staff, average property”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I stayed there about a month ago. The property itself is pretty average (was clearly super nice about 5-10 years ago) but it's clean and comfortable, and the concierge lounge is great except that alcoholic drinks are quite pricey. The one way in which the hotel really annoyed me was that the hair dryer was from approximately 1980 and did nothing for me - bring your own if you need one. But, I managed to lose my house keys while I was there and they found them and mailed them back to me free of charge. Such excellent customer service!

Room Tip: The Muhlenberg tower rooms are harder to get to from the lobby, so I'd avoid them if possible.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Rusty M, General Manager at Kansas City Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience. We are happy to hear you found our customer service to your liking! We look forward to serving your travel needs at the Kansas City Marriott Downtown should you return to the Kansas City area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Boston, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I stayed here for a night in May 2013 for business. The rooms were average - clean and comfortable. I'm not sure I'd choose the hotel for a leisure trip, but it was good for an overight work stay. I was put in the building across the street, which was not an issue for me. The location was close to both my office as well as the Power & Light District for dinner, which was nice.

Room Tip: Should request to be in the main building if that is important to you.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Rusty M, General Manager at Kansas City Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thanks for your kind comments about your recent stay with us. Hope to see you return again soon. Safe travels!
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I had not been back to KC in over 20 years but attended a wedding over the weekend and found this hotel to be a total gem. A very service oriented place with everyone from the bell staff, restaurant and bar servers to front desk staff totally on top of their game. I stay at many other Marriotts across the country on a regular basis but have not found one to be any more impressive than this location.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Rusty M, General Manager at Kansas City Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
We are very pleased you enjoyed our Midwest hospitality during your stay at the Kansas City Marriott Downtown! We value your business and we strive to meet your expectations. We thank you for your feedback and we hope to have the pleasure of serving you again in the future.
West Palm Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I recently completed a tour of the midwest and attended six major league baseball games in six cities, and overall this was a great location and hotel. The room was clean and bright and staff at the front desk was excellent. My toast from room service was a little soggy though.

Overall, it was ok and I may be back next time I go to a Royals game.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience. I am happy to hear you found the Kansas City Marriott Downtown to your liking. We look forward to serving your travel needs when you return to the Kansas City area.
chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

My daughter's wedding was in Kansas City last September and we stayed at the Marriott Downtown. Not only were we treated poorly, someone went "shopping in my rented room and helped themselves to my jewelry, my purse and a Kindle Fire HD" . We were told by the security not to call the Kansas City Police Department because the Marriott does their own security--so I did called the KC Police Dept and filed a police report. I was told the Security at the Marriott believed I was lying and wanted to get money from the Marriott. I told them I wanted my stuff back and they again stated I was lying about my missing items. The hotel does not have safes in the rooms and I was told I should have put my valuables in their safe at the front desk. Are they kidding--Why can't I rent a room without a person or persons go thru my stuff and help themselves to my personal property?

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Rusty M, General Manager at Kansas City Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay this past September. We have instituted many property upgrades for our guests including the addition of safes located in each guestroom. Our guest’s comfort, safety and security continue to be a top priority. We thank you for alerting us to this issue during your stay and we hope you will give us a second chance if you return to Kansas City.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Best consierge Lounge I have found. Fun lobby restaurant with good food . Good views from high floors. Rooms are recently renovated and spacious. Ask for room in tower by the lobby it is a hike to the other tower.

• Stayed May 2013
Just wanted to thank you for your recent stay here at the Kansas City Marriott Downtown. So glad you were able to experience our authentic Marriott hospitality, plus enjoying our restaurant! We look forward to seeing you soon.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Stayed at the Marriott during Memorial Day weekend. Loved being near the Power & Light District on Sat night! My husband and I stay there everytime we're in town. The lobby has been redone since we were last there and it's a nice addition - it's got an updated look and is a fun place to hang out and have a drink. The room was big (and very clean), the bed was really comfortable and the staff was friendly/knew their stuff.

Room Tip: Get a room facing south - best view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review! I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay. We're glad you experienced our caring service, great hotel amenities and great location! We look forward to welcoming you back!

Been to Kansas City Marriott Downtown? Share your experiences!