“My hotel of choice in KC” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay 2+ Nights & Save 15%
Ranked #41 of 110 Hotels in Kansas City
London, United Kingdom
“My hotel of choice in KC”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I am in Kansas City a few times each year and the Marriott has become my hotel of choice when I am in town. There is very little to fault it on. The location is great with all the amenities of the Power & Light district just a few blocks away.

They upgraded the bar and reception area last year and it is stunning now. A great place to work during the day and relax in the evening. The gift shop was taken away during the facelift and replaced with a small shop with a coffee area. Whilst the ladies who ran the coffee cart previously were great, this is a definite improvement.

The rooms are always clean, spacious and generally well-equipped. This trip I had a view of the downtown airport whereas on previous stays I have had a room at the front. The view from the front is better.

I tend to only use the "Metro" restaurant for breakfasts but one of my colleagues had dinner in there this trip and was full of praise. One of my few criticisms is that the in-room dining menu is pretty restricted but maybe I only notice that because of my repeated stays.

My other issue - and this is a really small thing - but where is the in-room safe. I would have thought this was standard now but, no, the Marriott still rely on the old safety deposit box type scheme. Not a problem just less convenient than having a safe in the room.

Small gripes I know - that's why I guarantee I will be back in the next few months.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Lawrence, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

We spent a weekend at the Marriott and enjoyed our stay. There were only a few cons, but let me highlight the positives. Location is great - easy walk to the Sprint Center and right across from the convention center. Shower water pressure is fantastic. bed and pillows were comfy. Check-in was speedy once you were able to valet the car. Valet parking was reasonably priced and the only way to a park a car in downtown KC. The car line into the hotel was long, but there was a cheer leading and volleyball competitions at the Convention Center. Even with all those young people there was no noise in the hotel.

Our room was in the historic Muehlebach Tower of the Marriott. Room overlooked Barney Allis Plaza and that was fun to watch the fountain and activity. Room was clean, appointed just as one expects from a Marriott. The downside of the room was a lack of outlets. They have a business desk in the room, but no outlets. I plugged my phone charger in behind the drapes and that was easier said than done. It also took over 30 minutes to get the car out of valet. We were entertained people watching, but had we had plans that would have been unacceptable. Every employee we saw was friendly.

The only reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 is the lack of plugs in the room. Well, the valet parking retrieval wasn't ideal, but....

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Elyria, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Right downtown, within walking distance of the power and light district. The bar is a nice way to relax in the evening. Wonderfully large and well equipped concierge area. All staff are extraordinarily service oriented. Go to the valet desk and order a car to the airport--same price as a taxi but much nicer!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

This is a return visit to this hotel and as I did last time,I found this hotel to be just fine. The people are very friendly and helpful. The best aspect of the room is the shower...oh my is that shower something nice. I enjoyed the shower each morning and it's a nice stream of water. I know that is only one aspect, but this shower is really great.

One point that I didn't find so good and that was the food. I ordered a simple hamburger one night and it was not that good. The cheese was not melted, the meat was overcooked, and unseasoned. The staff replaced the burger with one that had melted cheese, but still lack of flavor and lack of seasoning. Moral of the story, stay here, but eat someplace else.

The hotel is really pretty nice.

Topeka, Kansas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

This Marriott has undergone a massive remodel of the first floor. Spectacular. The rooms are everything you'd expect for a top-tier Marriott. It is in the middle of all the action in downtown which is the good news and the bad news. During our weekend it was some cheerleading convention, ComiCon, and a couple of other big events. While the rooms are very confortable, the hall traffic (especially those loud revelers at late hours) can be a bit disruptive. Access is easy and check-in / check-out is flwaless. We did not eat that remodeled restaurant. The fitness center, while hard to get to (only one elevator goes there) it is well equipped.

Room Tip: There really are no bad rooms. South side has the view across Barney Alis Plaza; North side has the...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Rusty M, General Manager at Kansas City Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay with us and want to thank you for your great comments about our service and Lobby Bar! We take pride in our Midwest hospitality and we are delighted that your stay was not only an enjoyable onefor you, but also relaxing!! We look forward to having you back soon!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here while attending an event in their ballroom. The room was great and the view was spectacular. We enjoyed the Power and Light district which was within walking distance. Our free buffet breakfast was good. I appreciated the nice selection of fresh fruit. Everyone was very nice. We would stay here again.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Saint Charles, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

I stayed at the KC Marriott Downtown while attending a professional conference. The conference was being held in the hotel. First, this is one of the most confusing, poorly laid out hotels I've been in. Getting to my room took two different elevator rides, and a maze of halls and skywalks. And finding the room where we were supposed to present was ridiculously complicated.

My room was fine. King bed, clean and the bed was comfy. This is definitely an older building with some remodel done - and it has that old building/hotel smell. The housekeeping staff switched out the feather bedding for cotton/foam at my request. The woman who came to the room was so nice and helpful, as was EVERY employee I encountered. The downsides: incredibly noisy - people running in the halls, slamming doors, yelling - all after midnight. And the view from my room was the roof of another part of the building - which wouldn't have been so bad if it didn't also feature several dead birds. Eww.

I did have an opportunity to order room service - the food was delicious! It arrived quickly and, again, a wonderfully pleasant employee was involved. I also made use of the valet parking which was quick and easy. Worth it!

Overall, the KC Marriott Downtown is nothing special, and pricey for what you get, in my opinion. I'm very particular about my hotels, and this was truly just okay. Not great, not terrible. I'd probably try a different hotel if I returned to the area.

Room Tip: Try to stay in the main area, not the Muehlbauer (sp?) tower. It's a pain.