“Great place to weather a storm” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Power and Light Package
Ranked #46 of 111 hotels in Kansas City
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Great place to weather a storm”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Last week I was in KC at the downtown Marriott. I have been there several times. The rooms are always clean, comfortable and quiet. The remodeled lobby is a great place to relax with friends, grab a late night snack or do light work.

Last week I was in the hotel during the snow storm. The staff universally remained positive and pleasant despite being very busy and short staffed. Matt the front desk manager was especially helpful and proactive.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
hotel1KansasCity, General Manager at Kansas City Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear David D:

Thank you for taking the time to let us know you enjoyed your stay at the Kansas City Marriott Downtown. We appreciate your return business. I will be sure to let Matt know that he was helpful in assisting you during your visit with us. Hopefully the next time you are in KC the weather will be a little more conducive to enjoying the downtown area and all it has to offer. Thank you again.

412 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Alhambra, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We attended a convention during which we had snowy weather; staying at the KC Marriott Downtown with the underground walkway to and from the convention center was perfect. The accommodations were spacious and the bed was ahh at the end of the day. We had cocktails and apps at the lobby bar...great waiter, drinks, and food. When we returned, I discovered an additional charge on my debit card, called the hotel, the accountant called me right back, looked up and found the error and sent me a new billing all in the same day AND within just a couple of days it was off my account. Almost forgot to mention the bell service...Great, as well!

Room Tip: We were right next to the ice machine/vending room and never heard a thing. I don't know if ther...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
hotel1KansasCity, General Manager at Kansas City Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear Lisa H:

Thank you for your great review of your recent stay at the Kansas City Marriott Downtown. I am so happy to hear that the snow storm didn't put a damper on your experience at the hotel or during your conference. Our associates truly came together as a team to provide top notch service for our customers. We hope you have the opportunity to visit Kansas City again and stay at the Marriott Downtown where as you say, the beds are "ahhh" at the end of the day! Thank you for your business.
San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Nice hotel with modern lobby, restaurant and bar area in a good part of downtown that is convenient to the Convention Center, Power & Light District, and some popular restaurants.

Good sized rooms, very nice health club. Bedding and pillows were a little soft for my tastes. Staff was extremely friendly and helpful--one of the best concierge/bell hops I have encountered anywhere. Within 5-10 minute cab rides to other popular areas of the city.

Dear elchevere:

Thank you for the positive feedback regarding the staff and services during your recent stay at the Kansas City Marriott Downtown. Our lobby area, including the bar and restaurant, have been recently renovated. Barcentral has become the gathering spot for both our hotel guests as well as the neighboring community. We hope you have the opportunity to visit us again in the near future. Thank you for your business.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We stayed in the Muehlbach part of the Downtown Marriott Kansas City. It's a beautiful property with nice rooms and a gracious and very accommodating staff. We were there on the Friday after KC's record snowfall - you would never know, the hotel was business as usual. We had fun exploring the original lobby and other parts of the historic Muehlbach Hotel. It was President Truman's home when he visited KC, which was quite often. Over the years many other presidents and celebrities have stayed here as well. We will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: This property is connected to the KC convention center. It's close to all sorts of restaurants a...
Dear KizerBender:

Thank you so much for your review. We appreciate your postive feedback on the staff and services of the hotel. Your comments have also been shared with all of our associates so they know their efforts provided a positive experience for you. We often hear great comments about our location to the convention center and to the Power & Light District. We hope you visit us again and have the opportunity to take advantage of all that Kansas City has to offer. Thank you for your business.
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

During the recent torrent of snow we received, my company put myself and some of my associates up at the Kansas City Downtown Marriott. The staff was very friendly and willing to take the time to make sure our accommodations were taken care. Elite level service to say the least. The hotel itself was in immaculate condition and was maintained at that level despite the influx of stranded travelers. All-in-all it was a top notch experience.

Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Great new lobby. Spent three hours hanging out with friends and enjoyed the bar area. The room was very clean and the bedding was luxurious and crisp. The furniture was clean and not dusty and nicely decorated.

Dear Timbermu:

Thank you so much for your great feedback about your recent stay at the Kansas City Marriott Downtown. Barcentral has quickly become a favorite of both hotel guests and the local community. The space has been newly renovated and offers a perfect setting for social gatherings or getting some work done. We hope to see you again soon. We appreciate your business!
jefferson city, mo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel three times for work related events. The first time was about 5 years ago and twice this year so far. The first time I stayed there was a lot of construction going on in the Muehlebach Tower. My trips this year (2013), one in January and one in February, both for conferences. In January I stayed in the main tower and the conference part was in the main tower, so it was nice to be in the same building as the actual event since I have a lot of stuff I carry when I work these types of events. In February the conference was in the Muehlebach Tower and I stayed in that area. Again, it was nice to stay in same tower as my event, but it is a LOT of work to get over to Muehlebach Tower from the main building....especially when you are hauling a lot of stuff. My advice would be, if you are there for an event, I would stay in whatever tower your event is taking place. It just means less work for you since it is quite a jaunt between the buildings. If you will be carrying a lot of stuff and will be staying in the Muehlebach Tower (MT), I would say utilize the services of the bellhops and let them take your stuff to your room. Getting to the rooms in the MT requires taking the walkway on the second floor of the main tower across to the other side, going through a door that you can only access with your room key then taking an elevator to whatever floor you are staying on. If your event is in the main building I would request to stay in the main building. The main building is where the coffee shop and restaurant are, so if you will be using those, you will be glad to be in the main building. Regardless of which side you stay on, make sure you make a trip to the old lobby of the Muehlebach Tower. You will not be disappointed. It's like stepping back in time. You will be standing in the same lobby that President Truman, Elvis, the Beatles, Babe Ruth, and Viviane Leigh (Scarlett O'Hara) once graced.

There are some great restaurants within walking distance too. I would recommend The Flying Saucer if you are up for trying some new beers and for a cheap, yet delicious meal, try Consentino's Market just a block and a half away. They have a huge salad bar, build your own pasta which they will make right in front of you, and a generous deli. Also don't miss the gourmet chocolate counter were you will find an array of beautiful and delicious chocolates (Try the chocolate java cup!!!).

The hotel restaurant is also delicious, however I find when I travel for work, I can't eat there within per diem.

All in all, I love staying here for business and I wouldn't hesitate to stay here for personal reasons too. The staff is super-friendly and every staff member you pass will most likely greet you with a smile and a "good morning/ afternoon".

Room Tip: If you are there on business, stay in whichever tower your event is going to be in. It makes for le...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
hotel1KansasCity, General Manager at Kansas City Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Schobeydoo5402:

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experiences while a guest at the Kansas City Marriott Downtown. We appreciate your kind remarks about the staff and services of the hotel. And, thank you for recognizing the historic Muehlebach Lobby. Alot of famous people have spent time in the lobby of the Historic Muehlebach. I also appreciate your helpful hint of requesting a room in the tower you may be attending a meeting or function. Both towers are bustling with activity but you may find it more convenient as you suggested. We hope to have the opportunity of serving you again in the near future - thank you for your business.

Been to Kansas City Marriott Downtown? Share your experiences!