“Not meeting Marriott expectations” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #36 of 111 Hotels in Kansas City
Louisville, Kentucky
“Not meeting Marriott expectations”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

Please note that I write comments both positive and negative, I do not use this site as a complaint board! I recently stayed at the Kansas City Marriott Downtown, and was not impressed at all. First, on arrival at 1800 hrs (not a very busy check-in time), I was not greeted as I walked in nor was there anyone present at the Elite Member check-in location at the desk. I was then told that I could not get Concierge lounge access because I was only Silver level of rewards.
Then when I wanted to find somewhere to go for dinner, the concierge desk was not staffed and a front desk person came over (because there were several of us looking for information) and rudely stated,” I do not do this, I am on the desk”. So, I asked a bell-hop for directions and he did not speak much English, but did ask a colleague who was able to give me directions to the place I was looking for (Constentino’s).
The room did not have a refrigerator, nor were there any drinking glasses in the bathroom, so I only had two glasses in the whole room. The next morning I wanted to work-out prior to my shuttle to my workplace, and I was informed that it opened at 0530 (not 24hrs). I got on a cross-trainer (nicely there are many) but only 3 had access for headphones to listen the TV while exercising. There were 2 personnel at the entry desk, who did not offer to orient me, or anything. I had to go to them to ask about the headphone connection.
So, overall this hotel in my opinion did not hold up to the Marriott standards, I have changed my career and become a road-warrior and my coaches have taught me to pick one brand and stay with it as much as possible, I have been fairly pleased with Marriott, I have been at several Hilton’s and like Marriott better. But, recently I stayed at the LaQuinta Inn in Columbus IN and was more impressed and received more customer service than this Marriott.

Room Tip: pick another place
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Providence, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

The hotel is very clean and well maintained. The staff were all very friendly and helpful with directions and whatever else we needed. The concierge lounge was always well-stocked, clean, and enjoyable. The restaurant downstairs was totally acceptable as far as hotel restaurants go.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Cynthia S, Manager at Kansas City Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, October 28, 2011
Dear Tom G;

Thank you very much for staying with us on your recent Kansas City trip. Our staff strives to make every guest experience a great one. Our location in Downtown Kansas City in the Power and Light District does offer every guest an array of dining and entertainment options. We hope to see you next time your travels bring you this way.

Cynthia Savage
Director of Marketing
Fort Collins, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Very, very nice hotel with very nice, helpful, courteous staff. Very near the convention center and downtown Wheeler Airport. Great views of the river and historic downtown Kansas City. My only complaint about Marriott in general is the extra charge for use of the business center. I am the fortunate possessor (this year, anyway) of a gold card, and Ray up in the concierge lounge let me in a little early so I could get some important work done on the fee-free computer. Unfortunately, I predict the loss of gold this year and a return to Marriott computer begging next year.

Room Tip: For a great view, try to get a room facing the river.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Stayed in this hotel for one night. If you are traveling to KC I highly recommend it. Parking is on site and is reasonable when compared to other cities. Great view from the 18th floor, and a full breakfast is $12.

Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Southfield, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

Our first time to Kansas City, and the hotel was one of only a couple hotels right downtown. It was clean, well maintained, near bus stops and walking distance to fun night life, all weekend long. The restaurant on site was good, the only thing disappointing was there was NO complimentary wi-fi internet in the rooms, you had to pay!

Room Tip: Nice view of the fountains across the street.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Hillsboro, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011 via mobile

Stayed here again for a convention. Very convienant and an overall nice hotel. Room service was a little limited on their offerings, but you will not go hungry. Staff works hard to at their jobs. Nice stay.

• Stayed August 2011
Lincoln, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

We stayed here with a few friends for one night. The rooms were nothing exceptional but they were somewhat updated and very clean. The beds were nice and had plenty of pillow choices. The A/C had a tough time keeping up. Noise was never a problem. We only had to wait for the elevators a few times. The entry/lobby was huge and seemed nice as well. Parking was easily accessible and $13/day for self-park.

Room Tip: Ask for view to the south
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Kansas City Marriott Downtown? Share your experiences!