“Bewildered by Average” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Arkansas City
“Bewildered by Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

I enjoyed interacting with our friendly server, Mark. I ordered the "Southern" eggs Benedict. The southern nature wasn't evident. There is a recipe of biscuits by Dr. Washington Carver, but, Mark said the recipe isn't used. There was also a framed picture of tea cakes but he didn't know about them. Not important. The meal was OK. Perhaps a side of melon would have been added, especially at the cost. My daughters loved their meals - biscuits & gravy for one & my other daughter had bacon & eggs. The restaurant has plain looking interior. The meal was reduced being a "groupon" offer. I think the food needs to be tweaked a bit. Perhaps some added touches like a side of something with your entree. This is Kansas City so I would expect a certain degree of competitiveness in making your restaurant stand out. I did like Mark though

• Visited August 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Saint Louis, Missouri
“Great place for a Sunday brunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

We visited Magnolia's on a Sunday afternoon around 1 pm as a group of five. There was a small wait (perhaps only five minutes), but we were greeted by wonderful staff who made us feel very welcomed. Everyone in our group tried something different, and we all had fabulous meals. The trio of different flavored deviled eggs was outstanding (we ordered two of these so we could all share); the use of sweet potatoes in various dishes was very creative and delicious; the breakfast items were great, and the coffee was rich and smooth. The wait staff are attentive and help make very good recommendations if you're not sure which of the many special items to order.

Overall, this was an excellent dining experience for us, and we will make a return trip the next time we are in Kansas City.

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Delicious!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

We ate here with some friends at their recommendation in celebration of our adoption. No, they didn't have high chairs, but they were still incredibly accommodating as we used a chair for our car seat.

The deviled eggs were amazing, and the shrimp and grits dish was one of the best meals I have ever eaten!! Topping the meal off with chocolate chess pie was a great choice as well. The staff was very nice and answered any questions we had.

Also had a peach infused tea that topped any I've had!! I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking for an interesting and eclectic choice for dinner! We will return!

Minnesota
“Great food but bring your own bottle!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

We had a nice dinner out at this restaurant. Shrimp and grits were rich and tasty. The stuffed chicken breast was tasty as well. This is not a "fancy" place but very comfortable. Bring a bottle and the restaurant charges a corkage fee. We hear brunch is truly great and will try that next time.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Jefferson City, MO
“Food was amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

Went with my sister to Magnolias. I highly recommend the red velvet waffles. Eggs were done just how I like them. Bacon cooked to perfection. Sweet potato hash was amazing. Very laid back mellow atmosphere that lends itself to visiting with friends without shouting over music. Loved it.

• Visited August 2013