“AAA Does Not Do It Justice” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 98 attractions in Kansas City
Activities: Leisure education
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: See everything behind the world's most popular greeting card at the company's factory headquarters.
Ft. Worth, TX
4 attraction reviews
“AAA Does Not Do It Justice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

I have lots of memories of visiting "The Card Shop" with my mom, so when my husband planned a visit to the Hallmark Museum / Visitors Center on our trip to the mid-west, I was relishing my trip down memory lane. I was not disappointed!

The Museum truly has something for everyone: the historian can appreciate the "through the years" exhibits -- highlights of the decades with headlines and front covers from the journals of the day; kids will love all the hands-on exhibits and activities (including a mechanical bow-making machine, which fascinated us "big kids"); the sentimental will enjoy the Hallmak commercials exhibits (bring Kleenex!); the chroniclers will love the opportunity to pose for a picture while "crowned" and have it sent to her email address; those who prefer audio-visual to print will enjoy the theater presentation; although the press operator was not there the day we toured, those interested in manufacturing will enjoy watching actual cards being made; and everyone should love the generosity of the Hallmark personnel -- they are helpful, kind, and seem to have an endless supply of gifts! Wow! Aside from the bows we made and the postcards that we were encouraged to take, we received two nice packages upon leaving. I am guessing that the gifts change during the year, but my gifts were first-class and useful -- a very generous offering!

I think if you want to amble through and enjoy the exhibits without carefully reading the background stories behind them, an hour is plenty of time to allow. We read lots and spent a good deal of time at each exhibit, so we spent between 2-3 hours. My husband, the non-card person, declared at the end of our tour, "The AAA does not do this museum justice!" Stop by; you'll love it!

Visited November 2012

Oakhurst, California
23 attraction reviews
“Great Story”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

The museum tells the story of Joyce Hall, the founder of Hallmark. There are interactive details of how cards are created and of course the ornaments through the years. We especially enjoyed the gallery of one of a kind Christmas trees designed by the employees and given to Mr. Hall. The center is located in the middle of a huge shopping center so you can also see Hall department store. Worth checking out.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 attraction reviews
“A different view of corporate America”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I spent about an hour at the Hallmark Visitor's Center while in Kansas City. It is not flashy or noisy. It is a thoughtful reminder of Hallmark products throughout the years. I admit that I am a sap--and have been known to cry at Hallmark commercials, but I did love the retrospective of their products--from the earliest post-cards to their movies. Maybe it was just a "snow job" but this company seems to value their employees (ARTISTS!). This is such a difference with the way corporate America generally works. It gave me hope.
I wish Hallmark "the very best." And, I think that this is a wonderfully relaxing way to spend some KC time!

Brown
18 attraction reviews
“Not for the younger crowd.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I have a greater respect for a Hallmark card. The visitor center and not real easy to find, tucked back in with the corp. offices. A lot of reading. Make sure you see the short film they have as an option to see about the family that started Hallmark. Also the complex they built with their own proves that a company can make it work.

Omaha, Nebraska
18 attraction reviews
“Hallmark Center was Cool”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

This is a free venue! It is self quided so you can take it slow if you have the time or quick. A lot of history, clips of the tear producing commercials as well as Hallmark Hall of Fame productions. You actually see a printing press printing the inside message of a card as well as a die press cutting paper into designs. Lots of collectible ornaments on display as well as replicas of past Christmas trees for Crown Center.