“Nightmare. Third-world.” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 22 Hotels in Joplin
tucson
“Nightmare. Third-world.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

In all of our travels, this was the worst hotel. Ever. The room picture shown must be a room that was renovated for marketing purposes only. Our room door would not close properly--guess that is why there was a dead cricket on the bathroom floor. We did not feel safe. There were cigarette burn marks everywhere--bed cover, walls, furniture. The shower curtain was slimy MOLDY. The shower was stained. The carpet was garish (take a close look at the very colorful lobby carpet in the photos) and did NOT match the bed. Walls were bare. The sheets were clean (the pad underneath was not). We swallowed our pride at losing our money and fled to another hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for the room in the photo--the one that gets good reviews.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Joplin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

By looking at these reviews and pictures we cant be talking about the same hotel. I was coming from Nashville Tn heading to Oklahoma City when I decided to stay in Joplin, mo. What caught my eye they have a big banaster that reads $39.99 nightly. So I say "what the hell" so I checked in I was amazed on the room. I have stayed in many hotels accros the country and I was expecting to get a $40 dollars room with problems, Not only the rooms was clean but the people was friendly and very generous. The next morning I decided to leave early so I went to checkout and I ask the young gentleman "Wheres a good place to get some breakfast? he replied "We have a continental breakfast and I was shocked. I told the young gentlemen that I always make this trip twice a year and that this is where Im going to rest for the night

Room Tip: Rooms are nice and quiet
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

great location-very close to boubon and canal-great continental breakfast-super staff-frig came in handy as well as pull=out couch-its like you have 2 separate rooms-great for privacy
only bad thing-we were there for mardi gras on monday and there was a long wait to check in=we just left and came back later-they stowed our stuff-
also its a little inconvenient with the elevator situation=there is one to get to 2nd floor and then you have to go down the hall to the elevator for the rooms-
but i would definitely stay there again!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with cheaprooms.com

Great Bend, Kansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

I came to Joplin to attend MSSU, and needed somewhere to stay for a week with my infant son. The room they put me in was so downright disgusting, the sheets stunk like mildu-I don't think they can even afford laundry soap!!!!! I had already paid for a week stay but after three seconds in that room I tried to check out and they would not refund my money!!! They even tried to charge me a $70 early checkout fee!!! OH MY GOD!! How can you do that to a young girl and her child!! I sat in that room and cried, knowing I couldnt afford to go anywhere else since they would not refund my money. I am so lucky that some one didn't call child protective services for me staying there with a child. They had people drilling and hammering in a room right above us day and night, I think they assigned people to work on that room because I had complained and they wanted to be jerks. OH AND BY THE WAY, They only pay their housekeeping a lousy three bucks per room, so that's why it is so unbearably gross. I think they should burn that place down it is a health hazard.

Room Tip: Right next door, the rooms are just as cheap and WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY better.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Alton
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

We were traveling to see family and the only place in Joplin that had rooms is the Sunrise Inn. We decided to try to stay and I immediately checked the room. The beds were a mess and the bathroom was gross. We got our money back and went to Neosho. If there is only one hotel in a 30 mile radius with rooms you better wonder why.
I would never recommend this place.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Joplin, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

DISGUSTING!!!! How can anyone consider this run down establishment inhabitable? Rude management. The sign out front claims to be under "new management", when in actuality, the manager had his employees put this on the sign to (hopefully) hype up the hotel's business. The only reason my family and I are staying here is because my husband is doing the Joplin Tornado Clean-Up. We had to switch rooms because of managers ORDERS. He was extremely rude and promised us help with moving our belongings out of one room to another, and we got no help whatsoever. We got accidentally locked out of the room while in the midst of the chaos. The manager very rudely said "I NEED you out of that room NOW!" We were trying to move rooms, what did he think we were doing?! Our new room has no refrigerator which we requested several times. The toilet doesn't flush, satins and rips on the curtains and this was a so called non-smoking room, but when we got in there was an ash tray on the floor and the room smelled like smoke. This room was said to be a 2 bedroom room, there was one headboard in the middle of the room, and two beds on either side of it, as if it were a 1 bedroom room. I could go on and on about the poor quality of this hotel. There are so many things wrong with this hotel. HAZARDOUS problems as well. The fire extinguishers had 2009 tags on them. Just dont let the "pink" fool you.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Branson, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

The clerk at the front desk man bragged to me that they were the only place in town w/ rooms still available after the devastating tornado that leveled much of Joplin a week ago. Ie: There are homeless people in town that evidently refuse to stay here. See the pictures.
The highway (I-44) is VERY LOUD outside my room and I can see a large bar of sunlight under the room door. People passing outside the room woke me up repeatedly. I can also hear people upstairs and next door. I am using the AC to baffle the noise.
There was a cigarette on the nightstand when I got to the room (non-smoking), the lampshades are BADLY ripped, the sheets are torn in several places and unmended. There were long dark hairs on the pillow case and no fitted sheet on the mattress – only two overlapping flat sheets, poorly tucked under the mattress. They are too small to push very far under and hold tightly down. Truly ridiculous. The circa 1972 blanket is ragged, w/ 8-10 inches of disconnected & trailing 'satin' trim. The cable TV is very fuzzy, and the room price does NOT include shampoo, conditioner, lotion, or soap! Swear to God. These items are for sale at a dollar each in the lobby.
The pool outside my room is filthy w/ maybe 8" of murky water in it. And the internet connection, while complimentary, has only one bar in room #111, and frequently drops. (It dropped as I was writing this text online, and I only saved the review by highlighting and copying the text before I hit “preview”. The connection had dropped a few times already and I was expecting it, or I would have wasted the time taken to compose this.)
There is no ice machine, just a place boarded up where there used to be on (see pic). I called the office (6 pm) and there was no answer. I went down there and walked through the entire office suite – no-one was around. I called out and no-one was within calling distance.
On the bright side: It is near food, shopping and bars. There is a mini-fridge, microwave, the AC works well and it appears fairly clean (if you don't mind the hairs). That really is not enough to appease me as in this case my quoted $39 dollar room was $67. I was charged a $10 pet fee and a $5 early check-in fee (the room was open & ready: gauge gauge, gauge). I didn't quibble; I slept in my car last night, but I still don't get the math. I will sleep in my car again tomorrow night. That is how bad this place is. I feel like a chump.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

Been to Sunrise Inn? Share your experiences!