“Good But Not Quite Up There Yet” 3 of 5 stars

417-624-400
Improve this listing
Ranked #65 of 178 Restaurants in Joplin
New York City, New York
“Good But Not Quite Up There Yet”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

It is certainly great to see new restaurants sprout in Joplin, post-tornado, and especially those offering cuisines from other cultures (even if it be Pan Asian,). So in this sense, HuHot is a great addition. I have seen this place in Springfield MO and never got in so when they opened in Joplin and I happened to be in the city, I thought to give it a try. The place is usually packed towards the weekend for dinner. The night we went the crowd was right-sized. It was full but we were able to be seated immediately. Here is my review:
1. Food : Frozen meats and sea food (fish, faux crab), and lots of veggie choices. The sauce station is very impressive -- lots of choices so you won't get bored. you can try a different "taste" each time you go back to refill your bowls.
2. Service : Hmmm... not bad, not impressive either. They are good. The team work is not seamless yet. Some of the attending staff seemed tense. They were mostly very young so I guess it is just a matter of time for them to really come together AS A TEAM.
3. Grilling staff: Needs work. They are all very young, and not that I am taking it against that factor alone. What I mean is that this is probably their first job cooking so you can imagine the results you get. The food was cooked ok. I did see some of the meat overcooked and one of my fish slices was not cooked through. The reason could also be that the meats are sliced too thinly therefore easily burnt. I realize this is to ensure that they are cooked through but then the cooking staff should learn to adjust spead or adjust the water or oil so that they do not burn. Training training training is all I can say. Perhaps every station shift should have at least one more senior chef or griller who can guide and lead them. and take the chance to train and have the younger ones observe. (as you can see, the way i write this, i am even thinking about how they should be trained -- they are clearly amateurs).
4. Others: The interiors are nice. The lighting could be brightened a bit/slightly. The bowls are TOO SMALL for the food one should put on a mongolian barbecue/grill. once grilled, the contents shrink to a very small size and when the grillers plate it, my food looks like a sorry puny pile on a giant plate. Visually, not too good. USE BIGGER BOWLS PLEASE. Doesn't have to be gigantic. But then, doesn't have to be tiny.
This is it. I would support this establishment because I want it to succeed. But, i am not particularly enthusiastic and would not be a first-choice to go. Still, I would recommend to friends to "give it a try" as I tend to believe that things will get better: it is promising and the food and service I am sure can improve. I will come back some time soon-ish and will see if there is improvement. I hope I am impressed the next time. Keep going guys!

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Joplin, Missouri
“HuHOT!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

This is new to Joplin, and we went for lunch. The prices for lunch are the better bargain at $8-9 rather than at dinner. It offered a good variety of items with numerous sauces and the restaurant was very clean and fresh looking. They did a nice job on painting and decorating the interior. The service was ok, but the food was the star of the show. I will return here for lunch. We had no trouble getting in and out over the lunch break.

Visited September 2013
“Good food, slightly pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

Huhot is a good place to go. you can get exactly what you want cooked up fresh before your eyes. and you can control the sodium intake by using sodium free sauces. it is a bit pricey for what you get. i have been to another mongolian grill in another city that had all huhot has plus sushi bar, salad bar, desert and appetizer bars, and american food on the buffet and the drinks were included in the 12dollar for dinner price.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Humboldt,Ks
“Great Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Found this place by accident and glad we did. The food is great with a lot selections to choice from. Fill your plate put on your sauce you want then give it to the cook and watch them cook it.
Supper comes with soup or salad and you go through the line as often as you want.Great food, great place.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Good food that's overpriced.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

I really enjoyed the food and drink selection. I did think it was a bit expensive. Other than the price everything was great and service was good too, but they won't let you have a to go box to keep the food you payed for. I'll go back for special occasions.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere