“Old & Musty” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 22 Hotels in Joplin
Kansas City
“Old & Musty”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2008

I stayed at the Holiday Inn on business and was disappointed. It is old and smells musty, like Grandma's house. I drove by the Residence Inn directly across the parking lot and wish I would have stayed there instead. The bed was comfortable, but I had to open my window to get the smell out of the room. The outside doors were supposed to be locked and only accesible to hotel guests, but I never needed my card to enter the hotel. My phone didn't work my first night and my handle was broke as well. I reported in the morning and it was fixed promptly. The hotel staff was polite, but Hammons needs to remodel this hotel.

• Liked — Room rate
  • Disliked — The Smell
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Greenville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2008

The hotel has a nice garden atrium which was refreshing upon arrival. I have to say that the beds and linens in the room were quite comfortable. I have absolutely no complaints about this hotel. The value for this property is very reasonable. Flank steak from restuarant was really good. I especially enjoyed the nightly manger's reception they had that was included with the price of the room. I would definately recommend this hotel and I will return to stay here again in the future.

• Liked — They had a Managers Reception that was included in the price of the room
  • Disliked — No complaints really
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Wichita Falls, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2008

we stayed at the holiday inn joplin as a stopover on our way to st. louis. i booked the room on priceline and got it for 40 bucks, so i really can't complain too much. the hotel was clean, staff was friendly at the desk. i woke up in the morning looking forward to some grub, only to find out there was no continental breakfast (are you kidding me?!) and that a plate of eggs & sausage in the restaurant was 12 bucks. maybe i'm naive, but i thought hot continental breakfast was pretty much the industry norm these days. the hotel was average.

• Liked — clean, convenient
  • Disliked — no continental breakfast
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Lebanon, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2008

We stay at this hotel (4 days) every year for the past 10 years during the Street Dreams Car Show. This place is going down hill at lightning speed. Ice could only be found on the 2nd floor because all other machines were broken. Our room was not cleaned for 2 days in a row and we even asked a housekeeper to please make sure and clean the room. The also didn't give us our discount for being with the Street Dreams Car Show which was showing in their convention center. They over charged us by $100 and really didn't want to refund it to us.

Next year Residence Inn!

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2007

Stayed here during a busy weekend in Joplin- big college football game and a large high school/college cross country race. It was as if the hotel management had no idea that it'd be a busy weekend.

The restaurant had what appeared to be a total of four employees working on Saturday morning (hostess, waiter, cook, busboy) and they were completely overwhelmed.

A dog was running through the lobby Saturday morning-- later learned it belonged to a front desk employee.

A guest had left a couple Rottweilers in their room Friday night (I could see them through the window while standing in the parking lot) and it took hours to get the hotel to do something about the noise the dogs were making.

Toilet overflowed, beds were in terrible shape and the hotel, overall, was just generally looking rundown.

I'd highly recommend checking out many other options before ever considering this place.

• Liked — Proximity to restaurants
  • Disliked — Everything else.
  • Stayed September 2007
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2007

Stayed here for one night for an early flight out of Joplin airport- this was only one of 2 hotels in Joplin that had a free shuttle to the airport. Since we were leaving early in the morning they paid for a taxi- that was good service.
The hotel lobby area has a waterfall and was nicer than an average motel. Front desk were very helpful- and fixed the free internet in the room when I told them it wasn't working. A mint on the bed and a choice of pillows was nice too!
There are restaurants within walking distance so we ordered food and brought it back to the room.
The rooms are motel style rooms, so I would not pay a hotel price to stay here. If you go expecting a motel style room- ie nothing fancy then you will not be disappointed.
Would definitely stay here again for Joplin airport- staff were all very helpful.

• Liked — Complimentary shuttle to airport and wifi
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
dallas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2007

I came down for business and it was the most terrible experience i've ever had there. I've stayed many of times for business but this is the last. I have noticed my last 3 stays that its going down hill and still decided to give it another chance. First of all it took 10 minutes to check in the front desk staff is terrible. The manager was no where to be found becuase they didn't have my reservation. The front desk staff use to be so pleasant and prompt but very noticalbe going down. No more pleasant smiles or attitudes. Employees don't seem happy. Second my room smelled and for the money you pay is not worth it. Third dinner was horrible. Took one hour to get my food which tasted awful. All in all i would not recomend this hotel to anybody unless you just have the money to spend for the terrible service you recieve. What happend to the friendly front desk staff you had ? The manager don't care i guess thats why they don't. I will never stay there again.

• Liked — nothing anymore
  • Disliked — check in experience management is terrable
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Holiday Inn Joplin I 44 & US 71? Share your experiences!