“One night midweek” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Jefferson City
Kansas City, Missouri
“One night midweek”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

And the place was empty. I would bet no more than 20 rooms were sold that night. I knew from TripAdvisor that the rooms were being remodeled. I asked at check in if it was in a new room and was told no. The promptly changed the room, but why not fill up the new rooms first when the place is empty???

The remodeled rooms are nice. I have probably stayed here once a twice a year for the last 20 years. The bathroom looked the same. A downgrade for cleanliness, my wife found a lot of hair in the shower. The tub drain did not function at all and we reported it when we checked out.

If they fix some of the small things, it could take the hotel from ok to good.

• Stayed December 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Kansas City, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

At check in the young lady was not friendly, lobby looks great, room nice but a little out dated, dirty towels hanging behind door left from some elses stay. Manager in resteraunt and server not friendly or even interested in customer service, to busy talking in the back. Breakfast bar was fresh and not bad as it was early when we ate, and we were the only people in resteraunt at the time. The cleaning staff who were cleaning lobby and rooms all very nice and helpful. The ones that should have great customer service skills like at check in and the resteraunt not so much. overall a average stay in a average Hotel, Also how long has the hot tub been down, should you not be told when things that are a selling point that they are not in service, I think it has been down for months per the reviews on the web, either fix it or tell your customers before booking that it is not working

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
CMac54, General Manager at Capitol Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your hotel experience at the Capitol Plaza Hotel. Our management team has reviewed your comments and made recomendations for areas of improvement.
We were pleased that there were members of our team who were welcoming, but obviously dissapointed that this did not extend to the entire staff. This will definitely be a training issue that our team will focus on.
I understand your point on the communication of the hot tub. We were unable to remedy the problem quickly and have since removed it from our web site.
We will soon be wrapping up our room renovation project and I hope you will return to see the improvements and changes that are taking place at CPH!
Blue Springs, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed at the Capital Plaza about six years ago and was excited to return for another stay last month. WOW. The hotel has gone down hill considerably. The rooms felt dirty, the lobby, elevators and hallways were dirty and run down. Our bathroom was not clean nor was the refridgerator where we wanted to keep some water bottles. My kids did not want to drink anything that had been in the fridge. There was some kind of convention going on and the entire entrance to the hotel was completely swarmed with smokers as the designated smoking area is directly outside the lobby entrance. I smelled as though I had been in a bar after walking through the mob to get inside the hotel. One night was all we could take and left the hotel early.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Capitol Plaza Hotel.
I'm sorry that you were disappointed with the hotel. We were indeed in need of a "face lift" and I am happy to report that we are currently making improvements to the hotel. Our room renovation will be complete soon, as well as a number of other projects that are in the works.

Last year when we made the decision to make our entire hotel non-smoking, it seemed everyone moved to our front entrance to smoke. Realizing that this creates a problem for our non-smoking guests entering and leaving the hotel, we are asking that smokers move away from the building by placing additional signage and offering an altenative "smoking area" away from the entrances.

I am truely sorry that you were disappointed and assure you that the management team here at CPH is working hard to address the issues you raised.

Thank you.
San Jose, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Disclaimer: when we arrived, we were told the hotel was going to be renovated next month.

We arrived after 11:00 and the assistant manager showed us two rooms. The room was clearly on the older side, needing a freshening. The decor was old, the heating system was inefficient, and the locks were of an older vintage. Nevertheless, the room was quiet and clean, and the bed was comfortable. The hotel was structured around an atrium with fountains, and the white noise probably made it easier to sleep. Staff was friendly.

The one main complaint I have was with housekeeping. We had asked for a late checkout, but the cleaning staff came even before the normal checkout time. When I told the cleaner that we had a late checkout, we were then called by housekeeping. A few minutes later, a supervisor came by to check whether we in fact had the late checkout.

I'd probably check the hotel out to see whether it was better after the remodel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
El Dorado Springs, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Stayed for 3 days & 2 nights for WIC Convention & the staff had so many Challenges!! But handled all of them with grace and made us feel right at home. We had our stay while they're preparations for renovations were going on, & a main water line burst in Jeff City. The staff was kind and took care of everybody's needs with smiles. Even tho I am sure they couldn't wait to get home. I can't wait to go back next year!! And see how the renovations turned out!! Hope your stay is as wonderful as mine was!

Room Tip: The view from the 9th floor can't be beat!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Marshall, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

This place really knows its stuff. Very clean and nice surroundings. Pool well-maintained (hot tub was down for service). PET-FRIENDLY!! They welcomed my 80 lb sweetie with smiles. Friendly staff. Knowledgeable front desk. Ability to handle a VERY large group of people very efficiently. Check-in was a snap. AND throw in a little extra curve ball... a water main break which affected a good chunk of the city for several days! Capitol Plaza took it all in stride. They announced that all the in-room water bottles would now be complimentary during the water issue, made bottled water available at multiple stations, made adjustments in menu with ease, and helped everyone feel as comfortable as possible. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed October 2012
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

This Place is absolutely disgusting! Carpet is so old and dirty it is wrinkled and dried out. Stains range from blood and other body fluids to who knows what. Bathrooms are always dirty. Vents are filled with green crud, and there are always hairs that didnt belong to me. I was forced to stay there for work, and seriously considered paying out of pocket for another hotel. On top of the dank dirty rooms, I had personal items go missing. When management was confronted they claimed the housekeeper had been with them for years, so clearly I had lost it and they would come to my room and search for the item. Rooms were never vaccumed as the same crumbs from the previous occupant were there all week long, and will probably remain for the next occupant. The restaraunt is a joke, and for food to actually be hot is a miracle. On 2 occasions I waited 30 minutes to get a menu, due to poor staffing. Which is sad as the groups were scheduled to be at the facility during the specific times. The elevators are both rarely working, and the staircases are scarey and disgusting. The hot tub has been broke and haphazardly covered with plywood for over 3 months now. There have been cases of bed bugs in the past, and it is clear to see why. Management spends more time covering for their pitiful staff and facility than they do trying to fix or CLEAN anything. This hotel could be a nice place and probably was 20 years ago, before they stopped cleaning it and caring. This place should be shut down, and completely renovated, it is an absolute joke! I would not pay 1 cent of my own money to stay at a place like this. The Best Western and Comfort Suites are a million times better and Clean!

• Stayed October 2012
CMac54, General Manager at Capitol Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
I am truly sorry that your stay at our hotel was unsatisfactory.
Providing a safe, clean and comfortable environment for our guests and employees is of the utmost importance to hotel management. As a part of our hotel quality policies and procedures, we regularly review and conduct ongoing measures to ensure exemplary on-site cleanliness, health and safety standards are maintained. We have received confirmation from internal and outside experts that the past reports of bed bugs have been appropriately handled.
In response to some of your other concerns, I can confirm that there is a room renovation scheduled to begin next month, and that a full modernization of the passenger elevators last month has them working faster and more efficiently than ever.
Your review will be discussed among our management team immediately to ascertain what steps we need to take to remedy the service lapses that you describe. We take your comments very seriously and will work hard to overcome any deficiencies.

Been to Capitol Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!