“Unclean” 1 of 5 stars

1510 Jefferson St, Jefferson City, MO 65110   |
Ranked #13 of 14 hotels in Jefferson City
“Unclean”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

I stayed at this hotel while taking yet 2014 bar exam.I was moved from my first room after I noticed several beetles crawling on my bed. I was moved to a second room where I saw dead beetles on the floor. The room has very old stained ceiling tiles and the bathrooms are very outdated. I'm really surprised that conferences are held at this hotel because it was by far the worst room I have ever stayed in.

• Stayed June 2014
Jeff W, General Manager at Truman Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Jordan, Thank you for your review. I appreciate your response and with your input we continue to address these issues. I believe in making it right if a guest is not satisfied with their stay. Please contact me if you decide to stay with us again. I know we can meet your expectations as a full service hotel, as well as, a good value in Jefferson City.

Cordially,

12 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Hermann, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

I recently stayed here for a conference. I will recommend we move elsewhere next year. In fairness, the new owner took over only 6 months ago but that knowledge doesn't help much. The hotel/convention center was severely understaffed in every area. I know of one young lady who worked the dining room for breakfast was in the bar until it closed and back in the morning for breakfast and lunch. It showed. When we weren't out of coffee, we were out of cups (styro foam no less).
My room was terrible. The room was dark, damp and the carpet and chairs were filthy.
On a good note, the a/c worked great.
The general manager expressed regret for the current state of the hotel and promised great changes by 2016. If you are planning a convention for Jeff City, wait.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Jeff W, General Manager at Truman Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Thank you for taking time to give us your input. I am happy to accept your honest opinion and certainly care about how your stay was. Your group was a pleasure to work with and I enjoyed speaking to many of you.

Thanks again and I hope you come back so we can show you how this will be the best location for any meeting coming to Jefferson City.
Madison, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

We have stayed at the Truman many times. We always found it to be a bargain. However, it is no longer a bargain. They have raised their rates by a lot. We could have stayed at a much newer hotel with better amenities for the same money.

-They only serve breakfast on weekdays, unlike other hotels who serve it every day.
-There are nice outlets on all the lamps, but when we tried to plug a cord into them, it was too loose to allow the cord to make contact.
-When I took a shower, the water in the tub didn't drain. The idea that I was standing in whatever was in the drain was very disturbing. I would have thought that housekeeping would have noticed this when (if) they cleaned the tub.
-The toilet seat was falling off. Again should have been noticed by housekeeping.
-The towel bar was rusty and loose.
-The coffee maker didn't work. May not have been plugged in, but I wasn't willing to crawl under the desk and check.

The room was clean and the location is convenient to anyplace in Jefferson City. However, if we are going to have to pay the prices they requested, we will stay at the lake or in a hotel with better amenities.

We were told the hotel was under new management. That is too bad. Apparently we aren't the only people who felt that way. It is a huge hotel with lots of rooms. We drove through all the parking lots and there weren't more than 6 cars in the lot. Very telling.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Jeff W, Manager at Truman Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Thank you for taking time out to give us your input and survey. I hate to hear you had a bad experience. I am not sure when you stayed but am very sorry you had issues with your room. I do appreciate the nice review on the service.

I would be pleased if you would drop me an email and let me know your last name or room you were in. We keep all record logs that were called to the front desk on room issues from customers and I will check to see if you called about the shower and outlet plug. We can always move guests to another room if there are problems but we have to know at the time you are here.

My apologies for the issues and I would be glad to make it up to you if you write me an email at agm@trumanjeffersoncity.com.

Again, thank you for giving us your input so we can strive to make it better.
Lindsborg, Kansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

I only booked a room here because we were unable to get a room at our usual hotel. It had a great lobby and restaurant but that is about it. We requested a non smoking room but when we entered the room it had a strong smell of smoke. We decided to tough it out as there wasn't much option on hotel rooms. The chairs had stains on them and the exhaust in the bathroom did not work. After leaving we realized my daughter left something behind. I called a couple times and got the run around and the front desk woman was rude. We will never be staying here again!

• Stayed May 2014
Jeff W, General Manager at Truman Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Thank you for your review. I am very sorry to hear about your room issues. I would like to know which room you had so I can get this issue resolved. Our rooms are clean and the beds are new and

I do appreciate the kind comments you made mention of. This is a great hotel but older. We have a friendly staff always willing to go the extra to help a guest. We offer a good rate with a full service hotel and full breakfast Mon-Fri with our rates.

You said you left something but I did not read if you got it back. Please let us know so I can check if you did not get it back.

I value all opinions and good or bad...I am here to make this a better hotel.

Thanks for your input.
Saint Louis, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

I would spend more to stay somewhere else. Or better yet stay in Columbia for way more activities to do and better restaurants. Our A/c did not work. Room was very hot. Had a dingy smell. Could be a nice place with a little update. The German restaurant next door made this place not a total bust

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Cami,

Thank you for your review. I do appreciate your nice comments on staff and food quality. If there is anything I can do to make your next stay more enjoyable just let me know. We are working hard to get this charming, historic hotel back to what it can be.

Again, thank you for your review.

Cordially,
Columbia, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

My trip to this historic hotel was to bea romantic two nights. I cannot day that the rooms helped with the setting nor the free breakfast which does not include drinks. We had to change rooms and got a pool side which though it was not open yet, it was very nice to sit outside and you could feel that when opened it will help in overlooking some updates needed in rooms. The front desk staff was great and I enjoyed a few laughs. The room guide is outdated. Room service was good and very polite. However, I have had business meetings in the restaurant and the food on menu is very good. The bar still offers the old hard wood and is very inviting. Lot of meetings are conducted. As far as romantic getaway location, I would choose another place. Stop in for lunch or dinner would be a nice fit. Pricey for the rooms in the condition they are in, again which again is maintained but in much need of some updating. Enjoy pictures for special events on the grand balcony overlooking the main entry or on stairs going down each side. This hotel is located in a prime spot to the capital area, strsight shot West to Lake of the Ozarks and over MO bridge to enjoy the winery. A walk downtown to see some wonderful buildings, taste great food, shop in all forms and have a couple drinks in some of the best atmospheric taverns. Family hotel or in for a convention yes. Lookink for a Romantic getaway might look elsewhere... for now.

• Stayed April 2014
Jeff W, General Manager at Truman Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Cami, Thank you so much for your review. Sure we are a little dated (part of the character and charm) They don't build them like this anymore! To answer your question...you bet there are plans for this hotel and area. Very exciting!

Again, thank you for your review and staying with us.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

I had a very nice stay at the Truman Hotel. The room was very comfortable. I would stay here again and I would recommend this hotel to friends and family. The staff was very helpful also. The bed was really comfortable.

• Stayed April 2014
Jeff W, General Manager at Truman Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Dear alisonsherman85 :

Thank you for taking time to give us your review. I am glad you had a nice stay and we look forward to you staying with us again.

Been to Truman Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!