“Average Experience” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Bells at Killcare Boutique Hotel, Restaurant and Spa

You added Bells at Killcare Boutique Hotel, Restaurant and Spa to your Saves list
Bells at Killcare Boutique Hotel, Restaurant and Spa
5.0 of 5 Guest house   |   107 The Scenic Road, Killcare, New South Wales 2257, Australia (Formerly Killcare Bells)   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Killcare B&B and Inns
“Average Experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We stayed at Bells earlier this year in a deluxe double storey cottage. Overall I was disappointed with our stay at Bells.

Based on reviews and the website, I expected more of a full service type of retreat. I found the reality comparable to an up market holiday park cabin. Yes the cabins are very nice, along with the gardens, however they really are like a self catering holiday park cabin. There is no mini bar, there is no room service, no turn down service, no option to have breakfast in your room.

Check in was 3pm on the dot (house keeping must have just completed their work in our cabin by the official check in time). Breakfast finishes by 10am, a bit too early on a weekend away Sunday morning.

If you are looking for a full service property, perhaps look elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Karina B, General Manager at Bells at Killcare Boutique Hotel, Restaurant and Spa, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor, it is disappointing to read your interpretation of your stay as we pride ourselves on the level of service that we provide at Bells at Killcare. Feedback is extremely important to us and our team and we only wish that you let us know of your dissatisfaction back when you stayed with us so that we could have repaired the situation on the spot. Check in time is 3pm but we have always encouraged our guests to arrive early and use any of the Hotel facilities and enjoy the local area whilst we securely store your luggage. I am not sure why you are under the impression that we do not offer room service to our cottages as every guest on check in receives an information pack about all the services and facilities that we provide and included is our room service menu. I am sorry that you missed this and in future we will ensure that this service is pointed out more clearly. Most of our guests prefer to stroll up to the Restaurant and enjoy breakfast on the verandah and if they arrive later than 10am they are always welcomed and looked after, if guests have a special request to have breakfast in their room then this is always accommodated. All our guests also have access to any beverages on our award winning wine list and our restaurant team personally deliver drinks with all the appropriate accompaniments and glassware.
In the rare instance that a guests’ expectation of Bells at Killcare is not met, we strive to repair the situation immediately. We only wish that you had contacted us directly so that we could have had the opportunity to turn your experience around. Please contact me personally if you are returning to Killcare as we would very much like the opportunity to totally spoil you at our beautiful property.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

I treated my wife to a weekend away at Bell's for her birthday in June 2013. Stayed in a King Spa Suite which was a great size for the two of us, nice sun drenched balcony for the morning, wood fire to start toasty warm (and to toast marshmallows!), comfy massive bed and a huge bathroom. The staff were all lovely. The continental breakfast at Manfredis was really good. We enjoyed a relaxed morning reading the paper and munching on freshly baked pastries and a killer burcher Muesli. We also enjoyed the restaurant for dinner, with a hearty winter menu and massive wine list. I'm no connoisseur but the wine we chose was delightful.

The national park just down the road has great day walks accessible from the hotel directly. We did a couple of walks, one along the ridge overlooking Maitland Bay with amazing vistas, and another along the shore line from Putty Beach - beautiful.

All in all a fantastic time, great treat to spend time together away from our children in such a relaxing environment.

• Stayed June 2013
Brian B, General Manager at Bells at Killcare Boutique Hotel, Restaurant and Spa, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Thank you for your comments. We are glad you had such a relaxing time with us and we wish your wife many birthday wishes. See you again.
Avoca Beach, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

This was a wedding anniversary. We could only get away for one night, a Friday. The room deal was good. I booked my wife into the day spa for shortly after arrival, for a Kodo relaxing massage (we both need her in de-stressed state, you see she is one of those long suffering teachers, who look after the kids umpteen more hours than their parents do). My not booking a massage as well was for two reasons: 1) so I could save money for spending in Manfredis on site restaurant, 2) also so I could de-stress by walking to the lookout to watch the lights come on over Sydney. Killcare Heights people say they look down on Sydney, and that is literally true - the lookout is high above most of Sydney's vista, and from there one looks all the way down the coast past Palm Beach & Pittwater; the office towers can be seen in the distance, and that distance between us that night was a way to really "kill the cares" of a working life. So by the time I got back we were both relaxed and ready to share the chilled champagne which the managers had left us as a special treat. The cottage suite (Unit 3) was spacious and inviting with a great bathroom, complete with huge shower and a spa bath large enough for three (who else was meant to stay?). In fact the bed was large enough for 3 which almost made me wonder if menage a trois' ever happen there....but my wife out-votes me two to one , so that was alright.
Soon I had the Jindara slow combustion fire glowing (it was winter) and noted that the staff had been kind enough to leave perfect sized pieces of firewood, and plenty of it. This is not just any ordinary hotel, they have thought about the details. They even had my Foxtel channels ready for watching the rugby, but I was soon reminded that TV was not on the agenda as it was a special night for two after all. There were lots of other details - huge fluffy towels, Bells' own "Bouddi" brand toiletries (rosemary fragrance - which my wife just loved), for me great coffee, crunchy bikkies, maps, a torch/lamp, large umbrella, plenty of hanging space - in fact I couldn't really think what they missed. This is probably now THE best boutique hotel on all of the East coast - perhaps a complete coin-toss with Tower Lodge where we had been married. But we hadn't yet experienced Steve Manfredi's fare......
So, off to dinner, feeling very laid back after the champers, etc. This was one of the best meals we have had in our time, and I do remember Belmondos. Delicious little olives in an amuse bouche, with wonderful Italian bread baked on site, with a wonderful olive oil for dipping. The spaghettini sounded so good that we both ordered it, and it was full of delightful spicy seafood and since my wife loves chilli, she was already in raptures before the mains arrived. She had the blue-eye and loved the crispy skin and the green beans dripping in garlicky oil, whereas I had the most tender steak I had eaten since the Union Bank in Orange - but that was a huge country Hereford and this was a Cape Grim Tasmanian grass-fed delicacy, cooked to perfection by our chefs. Could I eat any more? The full tummy told me 'no', but my wife & the head telling me it was 'her' night, combined with the sight of the dessert list, said "yes". So we plunged into a shared (had to compromise somehow) mixed gelato & sorbet & ice cream dish whose name I've forgotten - after all the high quality wines were starting to take me off to other places by now. I will always remember the coconut ice - delicious, but it and the whole meal (together with our wait staff) was an absolute pleasure and a credit to Stefano for how he keeps maintaining quality whilst constantly re-inventing. And, I should also mention that Manfredi's have their own on site vegetable gardens, so we were getting the very freshest of ingredients.
You see, Manfredi has struck it lucky - this property is rumoured to be a former wholesale vege garden; it seems to grow anything well, and one can see this from the magnificent gardens spreading over the 8.5 acres with 23 cottage units so well spaced and interspersed with hedges and carefully chosen foliage that each set of guests has their own private domain, untroubled by others. That is one of the unique aspects of this retreat, something akin to the original version of Parklands at Blackheath (NSW) - but better, meeting many of the high quality marks of Cape Lodge (WA) - but more private, and with magnificent gardens and walks - which Tower Lodge doesn't have. I do suggest readers take the time to explore all the facets of this place, because Killcare, Hardys Bay, Wagstaffe, Maitland Bay and, at a slight distance, MacMasters Beach, are all unique little gems of places which time and development have not been able to spoil.
In short, go there!.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Wow! What a review. Happy Anniversary to you both. What a great way to celebrate such a special occasion. You make the experience sound amazing and one that all should have the opportunity to enjoy, so thank you. A great read, and, we agree that Bells at Killcare is probably the best boutique hotel on the East Coast of Australia - if not all of Australia!! Many thanks and we hope to see you again.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

A really lovely little spot to have a break. We stayed here for just one night and the weather was awful, but we cosied up in our little cottage for the afternoon with log fire and spa bath and then enjoyed a long and delicious 4-course meal in the restaurant. A great place to forget about the rest of the world and indulge in some rest and relaxation. We hope to be able to return and spend a bit longer next time.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. Bells is perfect for rest and relaxation so we do find that if the weather turns, most guests do exactly as you said. It's a lovely opportunity to truly relax, unwind and enjoy the company of your loved one. Life outside of Bells is chaotic and hectic, so it's a real treat to feel like you can just curl up and rest. We look forward to seeing you again.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

From the moment you enter the gates, all pressures melt away. This oasis has been designed so thoughtfully with all the little touches that make it so special. From the perfectly manicured gardens, sumptuous gourmet cuisine, beautiful products in the bathroom, cleverly designed verandahs that afford privacy to the most amazing spa. And if that is not enough you have some of the most beautiful beaches just minutes away. The cottages are are spacious and beautifully decorated in a relaxed Hamptons style, and include a lounge area, kitchenette, fireplace, BBQ and comfortable verandah furniture. Staff are friendly but professional. We shall return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Great to hear that you will return and thank you for posting a great review. The staff work very hard at making our guests feel number one, so it's always nice to hear first hand, of the excellent job they are doing. Thank you and we hope to see you again.
Sydney Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

This review is long overdue, but I have not been able to get this place off my mind. It is a truly stunning property, and this hotel is very good at looking after its guests and making them feel special. We stayed for two nights last year to celebrate our anniversary and we didn't want to leave.

The accommodation was beautifully appointed, very roomy and very clean. We arrived late on a cold evening and the fireplace was ready to go. The bed was so comfortable and so big! The bath products are beautiful (their own product) and it was lovely to use their bath salts in the spa bath. What a treat.

We dined at the restaurant on both nights. The food was lovely and the service was attentive but not invasive. We tasted the most amazing olive oil at the restaurant and were able to purchase a bottle (which they ended up gifting to us because of a very minor mix up at dinner!).

I also had a Kodo massage at the spa and it was hands down the best I have ever had anywhere in the world! The pressure to buy products after the treatment though is disappointing and does slightly detract from the experience.

The only minor disappointment was that breakfast was underwhelming compared to dinner (even the hot food which you have to pay extra for!). I would recommend exploring the local area for breakfast.

Overall, this is a lovely property with exceptional staff, accommodation and restaurant. They do go above and beyond for their guests. Thank you for the lovely handmade chocolates and handwritten card on our anniversary!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Brian B, General Manager at Bells at Killcare Boutique Hotel, Restaurant and Spa, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Thank you for your comments. We love to make our guests feel special and our staff are very good at going above and beyond. I'm thrilled that almost a year after staying with us, this is what you remember the most about your stay.
I have heard similar comments about the Kodo massage being the best our guests had ever had, and we are truly blessed to have such an experienced team of therapists on board.
Since you stayed with us, we now have a package whereby guests can pay $15pp extra and then receive the full hot breakfast at Manfredi at Bells. This package is very popular and the menu has had some great feedback of late.
Hopefully we will see you again for your next anniversary! Thank you again.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

We loved this place..... not only is the resort wonderful but the geographical setting of Killcare and the Bouddi National Park is probably the most special part of this place. The service was very good and attentive while respectful of the peace and privacy of this place. Rooms are generous and sumptuous. Gardens are gorgeous and well maintained. Manfredis restaurant was fantastic and everything and more than we expected. The area offers some wonderful bush walks through the Bouddi National Park where we discovered amazingly beautiful and secluded beaches and lookouts.... pace yourselves because 1000 steps down to Maitland Bay is also 1000 steps back up to the road but well worth the workout. This place is a must !!!!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I do like your heading. We think Bells at Killcare is perfect for rest and relaxation, so to hear your words - recharging, fantastic food and attentive and respectful service - is wonderful. We also agree the National Park is so very special to our incredible region.
We hope to see you again.

Been to Bells at Killcare Boutique Hotel, Restaurant and Spa? Share your experiences!