“Nice bar” 5 of 5 stars

Los Pinos 533, Huanchaco, Peru   |
Medellin, Colombia
“Nice bar”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

Watched Ireland win the 6 nations here. Really nice staff and a comfortable setting. Food looked good. It's located very close to the beach also. The Señora behind the bar was very friendly and very helpful

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

I spent three or so nights here with a friend. The room and bathroom was a bit grotty, but then again it was pretty cheap, so you can't really complain too much! However, the bar/restaurant downstairs was great. The food was cheap, but tasty and there were always people around and about, giving it a good atmosphere. The staff were pretty friendly too. If you're just concerned with getting your head down and a bit of fun, I'd recommend this hostel.

Stayed March 2014
Cusco, Peru
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

Sooo cheap, but sooo mediocre. If you're a male surfer and coming to Huanchaco to surf 95% of your time and not spend any time in your room then you'll probably love it (and to be fair, that's probably who they market for). Although the staff were so lovely and the food was awesome, we changed hostels after one night. I felt that when I had a shower I came out dirtier than before I went in arrrgh.

Also, roofttop bar + BBQ are advertised but they unfortunately don't exist. There is however a basic bar downstairs in the restaurant.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

We payed 15 Soles each, for a double room. Cheap cheap! The restaurant downstairs serve really good food, the price is desent. The staff is friendly and helpfull. Many backpackers all over. Great beds, the shower is so-so. They also have a great place to chill out on the top floor. The location is perfecto.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Lynnwood, Washington, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

My Friend Hostel is where I had a 5 day reservation, but they put me up in Grandma’s house because of overbooking. This is an extremely personable privet home with grandma and two aunts, a few blocks away from the hostel. But I did feel cut off from the use of the common room, TV, Kitchen, regular use of the Wi-Fi, and flow of regular information that happens when a group of travelers get together
The restaurant was good but the service was bad. WiFi was unreliable.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Lima, Peru
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

I loved my friend hostel! In total spent 2 weeks there and i couldnt have been happier. The staff were very friendly and helpfull and the food i would say is the best in huanchaco in terms of value for money. Extencive menu, very fairly priced and delicous. They offer surf school and your only 1 minute away from the ocean with a very friendly begginer wave to learn on.
I would go back again.

Room Tip: Top is best
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Campinas, São Paulo, Brazil
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

Although the price is very cheap and the staff was really good, we had some problems at the hostel.
We were checked-in in a wrong room, so we were asked to move to the right one as soon as it was cleaned because they had people arriving in the room we were. We were going out so they told us they'd move our bags to the right room. When we got back, our bags were still in the same place, and nobody had arrived in that room.
Still, we changed rooms and got in the right one. The problem is that in this place, the shower was broken so there wasn't hot water. We reported the problem and they said they'd call somebody to fix it and offered another bathroom to take a shower, but we decided to wait, as they said the man would arrive in a hour.
The man didn't come to fix the shower that day, actually, he only arrived 15 minutes before our check out. We had to use the outside bathroom to take a shower.
Also, the wifi doesn't work in the rooms, only on the restaurant area.
We had a discount in our day rate, but in the end, it wasn't worthy because of this problems.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
randal q, Manager at My Friend Surf Hostal, responded to this review, January 12, 2014
Thanks for your review. We take feedback seriously and have taken on board your comments.
Unfortunately, during the busy period around Christmas and New Year we had problems and our plumber was unable to come as quickly as we had asked. The shower has now been fixed. We have also recently installed a new router in the upstairs área of the building so that our guests can enjoy WIFI throughout the hostal.
We´re sorry you had problems during your stay and hope that it didn´t ruin your time in Huanchaco. Thanks again for your comments, we hope the improvements we´ve made will benefit future guests.

Been to My Friend Surf Hostal? Share your experiences!