“OK though this certainly is the poor man's Galapagos” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 14 Activities in Paracas
Type: Adventure
Sydney, Australia
29 attraction reviews
“OK though this certainly is the poor man's Galapagos”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

I took one of the two hour tours from Paracas to the Islands and enjoyed the experience though would not feel as though I missed out on much if I hadn't done it. It was good to see the sea lions and birds from up close though I didn't feel as though there's anything particularly unique about what you see as I've done almost identical tours other places in South America.

The landscape of the islands is interesting and the guides commentary (in English, Spanish and German!) around the history of the island, in particular the farming/collection activities of the bird crap!, added to the experience.

I was definitely impressed by the organisation of the tours and the quality of the guide's presentation. This is one of the only places in my 9 months of travel around South America that I've come across guides who can speak decent English.

Overall, the Ballestas Islands are worth seeing if done in conjunction with the Paracas Reserve however I wouldn't advise anyone to go out of their way to see the solely the islands.

Visited May 2014

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
“Great Guided Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

I'd highly recommend a guided tour of the islands.

They are fantastic and 2 hours is more than enough time to look at the various birds, seals and if your lucky dolphins.

Visited December 2013
3 attraction reviews
“What an amazing island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

Very, very nice to see all the animals that live on the Island. The boattrip was good fun, but we did not expect to see so much animals so close at the island. A must see!

Visited April 2014
A TripAdvisor Member
“Great for Birdwatching”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

Not much happening in Paracas but the tour made the stay worthwhile. Great to see the candelabra Geoglyph from the sea as well as penguins, sea lions, pelicans, turkey vultures etc. Just wish it lasted a bit longer than 2hrs

Nottingham, United Kingdom
18 attraction reviews
“Dont miss it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

We thought we might have to miss this section of our trip due to bus problems...luckily we didnt it was fantastic, far better than we expected. The opportunity to see Humboldt penguins and sea lions in the wild was great.

Visited March 2014