TRAVEL ALERT: SAFETY AND SECURITY More info

Casa Viva Troncones
Costera, Troncones, Mexico   |
Ranked #5 of 16 Troncones B&B and Inns
Seattle
“A life-changing experience! Total bliss!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2008

It was a last minute decision to take a trip and luckily we found David and Casa Viva!! Having never experienced such a total relaxed and interesting time, I will find it hard to capture everything that was so right in this perfect vacation. Outside of the main tourist area for a truly Mexican feel, but close enough if you need that tourist experience too. Physically, Casa Viva is a well-designed, open air, totally "green" resort with seperate sleeping cottages and a shared main kitchen/dining/pool/living area. The pool is fantastic, just a few yards from the beach offering spectacular views of the crashing surf, diving pelicans, and at night, a perfect view of the cloudless starry nights or spectacular evening lightning storms. The main table is elevated to allow viewing directly over the pool and there is an abundance of hammocks, swings, sofa and other sitting areas to fit all needs. Our cottage had it's own porch with a sofa and large swing if we wanted more privacy. Iguanas, smaller lizards, beautiful birds of all shapes and sizes enjoy the grounds too. Lush and plentiful vegetation and flowers abound (Aloe, bananas, cacti, etc, etc). Mentally, it is a total immersion into peace, tranquility and harmony. I was able to finish 5 novels, 2 historical essays, and do some much needed personal planning while lounging comfortably, guilt-free!! At night I slept more peacefully and fitfully than I have in decades. The beach is endless in both directions with no noise but the crashing surf and singing birds. Elvira cooked incredible authentic meals from scratch daily and Benito mixed the best Margaritas we have ever imbibed. We made friends with people at another nearby resort, ate there one night and had an overpriced "gourmet" meal of more americanized foods (sushi, pasta, piazza,etc). Bland!! We couldn't wait to get back to Elvira's cooking!! I can't say enough about this place and I welcome any and all questions for anyone lucky enough to find Casa Viva while planning their own vacation!!

• Liked — Staff, food, comfort, peace, quality time, the pool, wildlife
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2008

We (two families) recently returned to San Antonio from a wonderful 7-days at Casa Viva. This was by far the most relaxing trip I have ever experienced. The food was endless and absolutely amazing and the accomodations were world class. Words cannot adequately describe the feeling of laying in the hammock, or the bed, or the chairs by the pool, or anywhere else at Casa Viva and hearing the relaxing and mesmerizing sound of the waves and feeling the nice Pacific breeze.

If you want to truly relax, spend quality time with your family and enjoy tremendous food in a most amazing beach paradise, Casa Viva is the place.

Stayed June 2008
San Antonio, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2008

We just had one of the best summer trips ever! We were 2 families sharing one world class property. I was so disappointed to get back home and not have Elvira's cooking everyday. The fresh fruit and juevos mexicanos with guacamole for breakfast was a welcome treat each morning. We followed that up with mid-day snacks of sopes with more guacamole (the best ever by the way!) and for dinner we tried everything....fresh fish, shrimp, steaks.....we had it all. And to top it all off, an endless supply of the freshest handmade corn tortillas with every meal. When we weren't eating we were walking on the beach collecting an endless supply of seashells or just soaking in the beauty of the place. Our kids loved it and spent at least 6 hours a day playing in the incredible pool that is practically embedded in the living room overlooking the beautiful Pacific. All the while, I myself, relaxed in a variety of shaded hammocks finishing off at least one book a day. I will be back often.

• Liked — Food
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Bend, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2008

This is an amazing property, right on the beach (previous poster must have made a mistake), and we were serenaded by the sounds of the waves every night. The swimming pool is one of the best designed pools I have ever seen! It is right on the beach and has a shallow area for small children, a deeper area for swimming, a waterfall and a hot-tub. It sits right in the middle of the common area with the kitchen and areas for sitting and relaxing in the shade. It is a very natural, jungle-like property. The casitas are very comfortable, I liked the round casita the best, but the others were nice as well. The beds are comfortable and have mosquito netting which is required, because there do tend to be quite a lot of bugs in that part of the world. Some of the food the staff serves is grown right on the property, and they recycle the water used for showers and sinks to water the landscaping. The beach at this location is incredible! There are great places for surfing waves a short walk to the south, and the beach right out in front has lots of tide pools and rocks where all sorts of creatures live. My 8 yr. old son had a blast finding crabs of all shapes and sizes in the rocks right in front of the property. The staff was excellent, the food was great. We stayed at another property right next door also, but I thought this property was nicer and a better value. And beer was free! All in all it was very relaxing and we had a great time.

• Liked — The location and design
  • Disliked — A few bugs
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2007

I have one word to describe my experience at Casa Viva Troncones: Bliss!

I spent 5 nights at Casa Viva at the beginning of December, and this was one of the best vacations I have ever taken (and I have traveled all over the world, staying in some incredible properties). I have never been much of a beach person, but this trip changed my mind. It was utterly relaxing and rejuvenating, and I cannot wait to go back!

I stayed in the Square Casita, which was absolutely beautiful--like something out of a design magazine. We had a great view of the ocean right from our bed and could hear the sounds of the waves hitting the shore all night long--heavenly! The casita is beautifully-decorated and there are lots of nooks where you can hang out while reading a book, like the gorgeous swinging benches made of reclaimed wood (also found in the common area).

Casa Viva is right off the ocean, and the sunsets are breath-taking. This is a wonderful location--there is a lot of stuff to do nearby (salsa dancing, yoga, meditation, great restaurants, horse-back riding), but when you are at Casa Viva you feel like you are in your own world with your own private beach. I took many walks along the beach and rarely saw more than 2 other people. There is also some great surfing just steps from Casa Viva, and I tried surfing for the first time, which was amazing!

The staff who live on the property were so accommodating and the food they prepared for us was so delicious that I couldn't stop eating!

David and Sandra paid a lot of attention to detail when it came to this property. The design is incredible, without being too opulent. I felt completely pampered, but also in touch with nature and the surrounding community--a rare combination. I was amazed at how careful they worked to design a property that is preserving natural resources and allows the property to be operated in a sustainable manner. They are really setting a great example and have engaged the local community in their efforts.

I also had the pleasure of visiting the site where David and Sandra are developing a new eco-community called Playa Viva. That was incredible and allowed us the rare opportunity to release about 400 baby turtles into the ocean through a turtle sanctuary that is being operated on the site--what an experience!

I highly recommend Casa Viva Troncones to anyone who wants to completely get away from it all while still having all the comforts of home. This trip was the highlight of my entire year!

Tina in SF

• Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2007

I felt compelled to write a review when I saw that someone said this property was not on the beach. Anyway, the property is on the beach with the ocean 20 yards away.

The casa has 2 large bungalows and 1 smaller bungalow (but with small kitchen!) and then there is a common area that shares a living room, dining room, kitchen.

The design is great. Curves, natural colors, natural materials. They use solar for hot water and grey water to water plants.

The pool is simply amazing. I have a picture of it up in my office (so I can dream about it when I need to).

I recommend you check out their website and reviews there as well.

Highly recommended!

• Liked — Hanging out at thepool
  • Disliked — cost
  • Stayed May 2005, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Casa Viva Troncones? Share your experiences!