TRAVEL ALERT: SAFETY AND SECURITY More info

Present Moment Retreat
3.0 of 5 Spa   |   Playa Troncones Lote 3 Mnz. 21, Troncones 40880, Mexico   |
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Troncones
New York
“Went in search of waves; found stillness peace and connectedness”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2008

I happily and whole-heartedly recommend Present Moment Retreat for anyone seeking a serene, picturesque surrounding, warm smiles from a friendly staff, out-of-this-world dining, and a menu of wellness services that leave you feeling blissed out. It is no exaggeration to say PM is the closet thing to heaven I've yet encountered. Imagine doing yoga each day, all day, on a bluff overlooking the sea, feeling the power of the sea as waves crash against the rocky shore a few meters below you; imagine sipping mint water after having had a wondrous Reiki or massage under a tent that faces west, as you watch the sun sink slowly below the horizon; imagine taking hour-long walks on a beach that seems all your own because there's no one but you and perhaps a couple of other beach combers and sounds of the waves and spray of the ocean.

The Tom and CJ, the owners and founders of Present Moment Retreat had the vision to see that all that and more was possible, attainable, and affordable. The amount of care and precision with which they built their retreat is evident in every way: in the lovely floral garden arrangements, the hospitality of all their staff, the amazing menu --if anyone is Top Chef, it is Chef Murachi!-- the excellence of their wellness team, and the vast array of wellness activities --Qi Gong, Yoga, Nia, Salsa dance parties, live music.

I went to Troncones because of its reputation for being the ideal spot for longboard surfing, and I did indeed surf. But I didn't expect that my surfing would lead me to such a place of peace, relaxation and centeredness.

Whether you're a surfer, a diver, a snorkeler or someone who simply enjoys the beach, if you go to Troncones, make PM your place of residence. You'll find you won't want to leave, and you may forget what you thought you originally went there for, and perhaps you'll discover why you really went there.

• Liked — Friendliness and professionalism of staff; Yoga and massage
  • Disliked — Having to travel a ways to surf
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
chapel hill
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2008

Present Moment is one of THE most beautiful, peaceful places I've ever stayed (including Ritz Carltons!) From the moment of arrival there is a nice calm welcoming atmosphere with the most gorgeous landscaping! This is one place that looks EVEN better than the on line photos!! One can enjoy so much just steps away...a beautiful beach, fabulous classes (the Qi Gong & NIA were my favorites), meeting very open like minded people, the great pool in the middle, incredible massages with the most caring, warm givers, and the best bonus....5 star food!!! The margaritas and enjoying the excellent food looking out over the ocean make me want to live there!!

Judy G
Chapel Hill, NC

• Liked — Very natural, spacious huts with open air.
  • Disliked — Can not think of one single thing!
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2008

My husband and I followed our intuition on booking a week stay at Present Moment. It was a magical experience for us as soon as we stepped through the gates, unbenounced to us, intuition followed us down in Troncones and manifested itself in the form of a palapa. The sound of the waves sang us to sleep at night after the sumptuous meal that left our bellies laughing. We love the qigong classes and the restorative yoga classes in the afternoons, something that my husband and I could do together. We connected, interacted with fabulous and genuine people, from the owners CJ and Tom, to the teachers, therapists, Nia and fire dancers, housekeeping/restaurant staff, groundskeepers and established budding friendships and sense of family with the other guests who were there for the same reasons: to find respite in the present moment in this hectic high tech world, to learn lessons from each hour as each day unfolded without expectations, to experience(see and be an observer without judging is so relaxing, taste the sand with our feet, smell the aroma of food from the kitchen as it filtered into our palapa which happens to be just a few steps away, feel joy and freedom of effortless movement and to hear the sound of the universe and spaces between thoughts). We felt that we've come home.

• Liked — The whole experience
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2008

I would recommend Present Moment Retreat for anyone who wants a relaxing vacation with wonderful food, yoga, dance, music, massages, walks on the beach, clean and comfortable rooms with the sounds of the ocean to help you fall asleep, and FUN in the sun. The staff members at PMR are helpful and do everything to make sure you are satisfied with all services. As I single woman traveler, I was a bit nervous about making this journey. It couldn't have been a better place for me. I felt completely safe and met many other wonderful yogis (many solo travelers as well). I will return!

• Liked — Clean, comfortable, open air
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2008

My wife and I are yoga teachers for many years, and decided to host a retreat at Present Moment. The accomadations were incredible. The entire compound is built with found wood. That means that no trees were cut down in the construction of this place. You could certainly feel the intention and care that went into the creation of this sacred space. The Food was amazing. They were able to provide delicious raw vegan meals for some of our students, while amazing the others with bomb sea food.
We didn't want to go home and all of our students said they would come again. I left Pressent Moment with an overwhelming feeling of Gratitude.

• Liked — the rooms
  • Disliked — couldn't stay longer
  • Stayed April 2008
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2008

I have traveled the world-wide searching for the perfect place to be. And this is it! And it's so close too. The friendly - almost totally private, warm water, white sand beach is wonderful. The dozen private bungalows - each one special, with it's own personality. I have been lucky to have visited this amazing place three times - each time in a different cabana - and each time a totally new and beautiful experience. Luxuriously rustic. It's like living in a perfect garden. The food is wonderful - sometimes I spend hours thinking of what I'm going to eat. The management are delightful , accomodating.and anticipating your every need. The atmosphere is like 'coming home'. And the weather has been perfect each time I've been there. Once I check in, I don't have the feeling to leave until it's time to check out and I must. But I carry the lasting friendships with me from the people I meet in the warm, fun, family ambiance. I have been there with family, with friends and alone and each time I left planning the next time.

• Liked — Total comfort and relaxation.
  • Disliked — I loved it all.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
st. augustine
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2008

My fiance and I stayed at Present Moment about a year ago. I was 6 months pregnant. I booked the all inclusive and he booked the a la carte stay.

The yoga classes were phenomenal. The food was better than I can possibly describe. Ahh, the coffee! The grounds were a total oasis. The whole package seemed amazing.

Then we ran across a few problems. The a la carte included activities that I could not participate in because I was 6 months pregnant. I asked if I could put the funds alotted for hiking, surfing or horseback riding towards something else. Nope. "Different department."

When we checked out, we were charged for many, many items from the restaurant menu that we were lead to believe were included. I'd estimate that the bill was almost $500 more than we thought it would be. I was also charged a credit card fee that was never mentioned while booking.

They have a beautiful thing going ... too bad money turned it sour.

• Liked — The cabanas
  • Disliked — No A/C ... hard when pregnant
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
natureboy56, Co-founder at Present Moment Retreat, responded to this review, May 9, 2008
Thank you so much, Danielle, for your kind words regarding your stay here at PMR. We truly regret that any part of your experience was less than 'amazing'. If any guest chooses to enjoy an additional massage in place of the 1 adventure tour offered in the R&R package, we ALWAYS oblidge regardless of the circumstances. As far as the restaurant charges are concerned, the only items not included in your package are clearly reviewed within the fact sheet presented to you at the time of your arrival. Other than coffee, tea and water, all beverages are consumed at an additional cost. If in your original estimate, you did not include sales tax, this may have contributed to your dismay. Every client has the payment option of their choice; however credit cards in Mexico carry a high rate of interest, so we charge a small fee for their use. We feel that the overall generosity of PMR is one of our greatest strengths, and I apologize if our staff neglected to answer any of your questions, or concerns, adequately. Money is simply a necessary means for doing business, and it's importance is not in any way reflected in the sincere treatment of our guests.

Been to Present Moment Retreat? Share your experiences!