“Loved our stay” 5 of 5 stars

Av del Palmar 10, Sayulita 34000, Mexico   |
santa cruz, cal.
“Loved our stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2008

We stayed at Junto al Rio for a week in Feb. I guess it used to have a stench as it's right next to the water treatment plant but that plant is all new in the last few years so no more stench.

Our stay was great. Quiet, peaceful, great views, great birds in their trees, but steps away from the action. I agree that staying near the square is really noisy and this felt like our own little beach. The palapa has a kitchen and outdoor eating are which was a nice treat for us. We felt totally at home.

Stayed February 2008

41 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Oakland, Ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2008

So anyway, my experience at the Junto al Rio was not great, but I could definitely see how it could be. It just so happened that my girlfriend and I got booked next to a room that seriously had at least 5 5-10 yr. olds staying in it. How you're allowed to book one palapa for yourself and that many kids is beyond me. It was explained to me that they were "friends of the owner." I suppose thats why they felt they were entitled to steal our table and plug in their boombox right front of our door (serious). But anyway, aside from that, I have to say that the Junto al Rio seems like a pretty great place to stay. Our Palapa was right on the beach, you could definitely hear the ocean at night, which is great. The staff was very friendly (aside from booking us next to 5 screaming kids, who wake up at the crack of dawn.) I would actually totally recommend this place to anyone who is looking for a great beachfront place to stay in Sayulita. The room was great, and the food was pretty decent too, and they will bring it to your room. Just make sure they're not booking you next to any of the "owner's friends."

Stayed March 2008
Central Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2007

Stayed at Rio Bungalows one night (June 2007) on the way from Chacala back to Puerto Vallarta with my kids. Great place to stay. Meagan, one of the owner's (I think) was helpful and rented us two surfboards (way better rate that down the beach). The bungalows are right on the beach, but back in the trees. Nice to get out of the sun and into the shade if you want (they have chairs and umbrellas for guests). It's off the beaten path by about a city block...perfect for getting out of the crowd, but being able to walk to grab a bite to eat or pick up some pan dulce for breakfast.

And, the elephant in the room is that Rio Bungalows is adjacent to the city's water treatment plant. But, there's no smell or noise from it. (Previous reviews commented on this negatively...I can't say the same.)

In short, great place to stay if you want a quiet get away. Their self-description is accurate of you ask me. (Also a restaurant on site and they'll bring your drinks to the beach! Kitchens in some, adequate kitchenettes in others. Wading pool, outdoor shower [essential for getting the sand and salt off], hammocks strung out in the shade for guests, funky-cool lighting at night. Price is right for what's becoming a hot destination for the gringo crowd.)

I'd stay again if I ever return to Sayulita.

• Liked — Gilligan Island-like rooms!
  • Disliked — Frik'n sand...but, that comes with the beach I suppose.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2007

Beware: Junto al Rio unwilling to return deposit refund. We cancelled our reservation within the 30-60 days, expecting to see the return of almost $300 USD, it has been 5 months and there is no promise of getting it back. We hear excuse after excuse and the main one is that there is a problem at the bank. If you run a business you better be capable of following through on what you state in your policy. We held up our end and have not seen honesty on theirs, avoid Junto al Rio.

starmom01, manager at Junto al Rio Beachfront Bungalows and Suites, responded to this review, July 9, 2008
This person did in fact of course receive their refund. Getting the charges reversed was from within the bank, and took longer than she would have like. However, in Mexico we know that we have to be patient, which is why there is no time restraint mentioned in the refund policy. We apologized for the delay and inconvenience and assured her that she would receive the refund. There was never any dishonesty on the part of the management whatsoever.
Santa Barbara, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2006

My friend and I stayed at Junto al Rio for 3 nights in January '06. After struggling a little to find Junto from where the bus dropped us off, we were grateful to come upon a wonderful place right on the beach. We stayed in a suite, which was small and a little funky, but served our needs completely. The "kitchenette" was marginal, beds were sufficiently comfortable, and the ceiling fans were fine for keeping the room cool at this time of year. The location was perfect because we were right on the beach (with a nice setback) and close enough to town to make it convenient but not noisey. Without exception, I heard from other visitiors in town that weekend nights are extremely loud if you are staying anywhere near the hub. (I had that experience a few years ago and earplugs only helped a little. You'll probably need Ambien to sleep anywhere near town!) Junto was quiet and peaceful. Someone warned us that there can be a strong stench at Junto, if the wind is blowing a certain direction and being so close to the river, but that wasn't our experience. Overall, the Junto al Rio was a good experience for us: clean, great location, nice (minimal) staff. I would definately stay there again.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — small
  • Stayed January 2006, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
california
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2006

My boyfriend and i just came back from spending a wonderful week in sayulita.
We stayed at Junto al Rio Beachfront bungalows. The place is beautiful, very close to village center and the best part: right on the beach!
It has a very natural feeling, with a hammock terrace and all rooms are cozy, super clean and built with natural materials. It really was a romantic and relaxing escape!
The hotel is located right on front of the surf brake so we could just grab our bords and go surfing anytime.

I really recommend this place for your stay..
carissa Abubo

Been to Junto al Rio Beachfront Bungalows and Suites? Share your experiences!