“Paradise waiting for my return” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Playa Escondida

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sayulita
Playa Escondida
You added Playa Escondida to your Saves list
Ave Playa Escondida # 1 | Sayulita Nayarit, Sayulita 63734, Mexico   |
Special Offer
Nature Lover's Special
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Sayulita
San Francisco, California
“Paradise waiting for my return”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

Playa Escondida is not your typical resort in Puerto Vallarta or Sayulita area. I've been to the time share condos and the all-inclusive resorts by the beach. This one definitely stands out. Not only did we get the privacy of a secluded beach with a beautiful view of the bay surrounded by palm trees and clean beaches, but the place itself had an infiniti pool, lovely staff and great amenities. This place is definitely built for relaxation. Massages were $45/60 min done well. Food was cheap even eating at the resort and you can request anything that is off the menu. You can attend excursions tailored to your needs for an extremely fair price. I had such a great time that I'm returning for a yoga retreat in October hosted by one of the guests that was there during my stay.

Although I would caution about the mosquitos and the fact that the rooms are not your typical hotel style rooms. They are bungalows but definitely puts you with nature if you like that sort of experience.

Room Tip: The other guests who had the beachfront rooms commented on how loud the crashing waves can be. Even...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Bay Area, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

We had five days to relax and unwind from a crazy first half of 2012, and Playa Escondida was just the right place. The staff couldn't have been more friendly, the setting serene and tucked into the jungle/beach hillside. You never felt like there were more than 8-10 people there with you, but the place actually has 25 rooms/suites. The food was also excellent and we ate all but one meal there and loved it! We had a romantic dinner on the beach - highly recommended - and spent most of our time shuttling from ocean to pool to hot tub and back again. We also had an onsite massage at their spa and it was one of the best ever. If you love natural settings, don't mind not having air conditioning, but lots of fans, and some of the best music being played in the background (Nina Simone, the Band, Bob Dylan, Jazz, etc.) then this is the place for you. No kids under 17 allowed except during the months of December and July. So get a sitter...

Room Tip: Ask for beach view - ocean may not get you right on the beach. Jungle rooms are also nice and very p...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

We had the most fascinating and thrilling time at Playa Escondida.
First off - the staff was terrific. Our hot water didn't work the first day and it was fixed right away. The house keeping staff really went out of their way to make the house shiny and clean. The servers were so fun and felt more like friends at the end of our stay. Anything we wanted, we just had to ask and sometimes, not even then. They were very attentive to our needs and desires.

The whole resort is full of eclectic and amazing hand crafted structures. We were in the guest house and wow! We had to get used to the 82 steps but what a way to work off our drinks and fabulous food. Yes there are noise and wild life in the jungle and it was fantastic. I will always laugh at the image of my husband herding out a crab with a kitchen spoon. And we learned what the raccoon-like animal was that was coming around to take a look. We talked about venturing into town, but had such a marvelous time, resting and relaxing that we didn't make it in as much as we wanted to. We packed earplugs and they worked perfectly to drown out any noise from the wildlife and the fans. (No air conditioning - which was fine by us...a little warm but so what?)

There was only one minor issue that I had and that was with the tipping of the service staff. On the menu it says "15% gratuity included" which is fine by me, but when I pressed further at the office, I was told that that was parceled out to the behind the scenes staff, again fine by me. But I wanted to make sure Jorge and Jose and everyone else was tipped as well so we left extra. If I had known that was the situation, I would have tipped throughout our stay. Now I don't know if we under tipped or over tipped (I hope the latter.) Again, this is so minor to the vastness of our excellent experience.

I wanted an experience that wasn't the shiny, enormous and sterile atmosphere of most resorts and PE was exactly that. It is not for everyone. (We thought who among our friends would appreciate this experience and had trouble thinking of more than a few...) It is for us. We will be back and hopefully many, many times.

PS. After our visit, we received an email from PE thanking us for our visit. That impressed me so much. In the 30+ years I have been traveling, I have never received a written thank you after the fact.

Room Tip: Their website is great and the pictures of the rooms/house are true and accurate. Bring earplugs fo...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Shawnigan Lake, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

We were excited about coming into this very unique resort. Nestled in the jungle, at first glance, it seemed beautiful and relaxing. Unfortunately, our first room (Love nest) was a very big disappointment on many levels: lack of space to move around, cold water in disfunctional shower, and lack of communication with our hosts. They forgot to give us a flash light, so, in the dark, at night, it was dangerous to try to get out of our room, and back to the restaurant. The night was restless, because of ocean noises, and bugs. So we changed rooms the next day, and it was a lot better. Fortunately, we had excellent meals at the restaurant, with a server that was very pleasant. We have voiced our disappointment to the management twice, to different people, and we were surprised that they didn't offer much compensation, although they did put in a work order to fix the first room that we were in. So, all in all, it was a disappointment, even if it is a beautiful private location. We much preferred our previous stay at Hacienda De La Costa, just a couple minutes down the jungle road.

Suzanne and Craig from Vancouver Island, BC

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
zen_geist, Owner at Playa Escondida, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
As hard as we try, we aren't always perfect! And we agree, a cold shower is unforgivable- you should have been offered some form of compensation.
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

Just a lovely place to spend some time. And the staff were out of this world amazing.
I have travelled around the world I have to say the Staff there are amazing. Jorge..Tomas..Joel and Jennifer were simply the best. I would recommend this property to anyone and everyone.
Oh..and the food rocked too.
Enjoy your time

M

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

I don't even know how to explain how amazing my experience at Playa Escondida was. I picked it to be the place where I would be married over a year ago, and from the second I made my decision, I knew it was going to be amazing. Brenda and Annie who were in charge of planning the wedding took care of everything down to the last detail. No matter what I threw at them, they obliged. The staff who was there during the wedding were unbelievable and they took care of me and my guests like we were family. I keep hearing from everyone how amazing the wedding was and I have heard more than once that "it was the best wedding they have ever been to". I can only thank the staff at Playa Escondida for this, as they went above and beyond in every way. Daniel, Jorge, Joey, Joel.. All the servers were just amazing! The front office staff were always there to help. Even if someone broke their sandals, they ran into town to buy them new ones.

I could go on and on about how amazing everyone was, but I want people to experience this place for themselves. If you are wanting to have the best wedding of your life, go to Playa Escondia. They are like family to me and I will never forget the time I had there.

I love you guys!

Becky and Brian xoxo

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Playa Escondida is a very beautiful resort. The beach/jungle huts are a truly unique experience! The food is incredible; so fresh and deliscious. The activities that are offered are very reasonably priced and a lot of fun! The service is fantastic and staff are always trying their hardest to make sure everything is great. The resort is lanscaped immaculetly and always clean. An absolutely incredible experience, I highly recommend this resort. I would definitely go again.

Room Tip: The b each and jungle huts are truly a unique experience.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Playa Escondida? Share your experiences!