“Disappointing and interesting” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Playa Escondida

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sayulita
Playa Escondida
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Sayulita
Shawnigan Lake, Canada
“Disappointing and interesting”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

We were excited about coming into this very unique resort. Nestled in the jungle, at first glance, it seemed beautiful and relaxing. Unfortunately, our first room (Love nest) was a very big disappointment on many levels: lack of space to move around, cold water in disfunctional shower, and lack of communication with our hosts. They forgot to give us a flash light, so, in the dark, at night, it was dangerous to try to get out of our room, and back to the restaurant. The night was restless, because of ocean noises, and bugs. So we changed rooms the next day, and it was a lot better. Fortunately, we had excellent meals at the restaurant, with a server that was very pleasant. We have voiced our disappointment to the management twice, to different people, and we were surprised that they didn't offer much compensation, although they did put in a work order to fix the first room that we were in. So, all in all, it was a disappointment, even if it is a beautiful private location. We much preferred our previous stay at Hacienda De La Costa, just a couple minutes down the jungle road.

Suzanne and Craig from Vancouver Island, BC

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
zen_geist, Owner at Playa Escondida, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
As hard as we try, we aren't always perfect! And we agree, a cold shower is unforgivable- you should have been offered some form of compensation.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

Just a lovely place to spend some time. And the staff were out of this world amazing.
I have travelled around the world I have to say the Staff there are amazing. Jorge..Tomas..Joel and Jennifer were simply the best. I would recommend this property to anyone and everyone.
Oh..and the food rocked too.
Enjoy your time

M

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

I don't even know how to explain how amazing my experience at Playa Escondida was. I picked it to be the place where I would be married over a year ago, and from the second I made my decision, I knew it was going to be amazing. Brenda and Annie who were in charge of planning the wedding took care of everything down to the last detail. No matter what I threw at them, they obliged. The staff who was there during the wedding were unbelievable and they took care of me and my guests like we were family. I keep hearing from everyone how amazing the wedding was and I have heard more than once that "it was the best wedding they have ever been to". I can only thank the staff at Playa Escondida for this, as they went above and beyond in every way. Daniel, Jorge, Joey, Joel.. All the servers were just amazing! The front office staff were always there to help. Even if someone broke their sandals, they ran into town to buy them new ones.

I could go on and on about how amazing everyone was, but I want people to experience this place for themselves. If you are wanting to have the best wedding of your life, go to Playa Escondia. They are like family to me and I will never forget the time I had there.

I love you guys!

Becky and Brian xoxo

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Playa Escondida is a very beautiful resort. The beach/jungle huts are a truly unique experience! The food is incredible; so fresh and deliscious. The activities that are offered are very reasonably priced and a lot of fun! The service is fantastic and staff are always trying their hardest to make sure everything is great. The resort is lanscaped immaculetly and always clean. An absolutely incredible experience, I highly recommend this resort. I would definitely go again.

Room Tip: The b each and jungle huts are truly a unique experience.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012 via mobile

We attended a wedding and stayed for five nights mid May 2012. There was 54 people attending the wedding & we filled the entire resort.

I was blown away by the staff as they worked non-stop to give us what we needed. Everyone on staff spoke english really well and we're incredibly friendly but in the most genuine way. The food was full of flavor and very fresh. Highly reccomend the guacamole & chips and the fish tacos as a lunch time snack. The drinks were super tasty too!

We stayed in Bird Canyon - Golondrina. It was far enough away that we got our very own golf cart. So fun & a great price. Hardly saw any bugs and I was thankful for that because I'm not a fan. They kept our room in great shape and cleaned it perfectly every day.

The beach was gorgeous and the sand was hot! Don't forget your flip flops! We alternated between pool & beach throughout our stay. Both were keep extremely clean and beautiful every single day. We even had a massage. One word... Heaven. Too hear the waves crash and feel the warm breeze blow while I was pampered from head to toe was beyond relaxing.

A huge thank you to every single staff member. You gave us memories to last a life time. I can't imagine how the bride & groom felt if I was this pleased. You seriously exceeded my expectations. Thank you. We will be back & tell all of our friends about this little piece of paradise!

Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Santa Cruz, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

Stay here. Awesome hotel, great food, excellent service. Review over.

No really though. We found this place almost by accident. Its not easy to find, and we came in without reservations and the staff were very friendly and let us look around and have a beer in the restaurant. Since it is sort of out of the way I don't think they get very many walk ins.

In just the time it took us to have a beer we were charmed by the friendly staff and atmosphere. They manage to be professional, efficient and friendly without being obsequious.

Our room was stunning, with an ocean view balcony. The bathroom was outdoor, a favorite of mine, and also shared an amazing view of the ocean. How often do you get that? The rooms we looked at were all different and seemed unique and charming, but ask to see a few if you have the option to pick the one you like.

The food and drink was amazing as well. They had local fare done well as well as delicious pizzas, flavorful salads and perfect cocktails. Its easy to accidentally spend a day just eating and drinking by the pool and staring at the ocean, which for us is unusual as we're normally very activity based travelers.

I can't recommend this place highly enough. They just nailed every aspect of the hotel experience.

Room Tip: We prefer the ocean view, but it can be loud if the surf is up. We loved the outdoor showers, so lo...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

My husband and I spent a week at Playa Escondida to celebrate our 15th Anniversary. We were looking for a peaceful, romantic location and found Playa Escondida met all of our expectations. The pictures on the resort website are representative of the accommodations and all the reviews on this site and others seemed right on. Friendly and efficient staff, clean rooms with beautiful views, delicious food in the restaurant and the best drinks in Mexico.
To enjoy the resort, you should be up for a little adventure as there are lots of steps to climb, sand walkways with vegetation, and little jungle visitors. We enjoy a little ruggedness and natural surroundings so Playa Escondida was perfect for us. We stayed in the Guest House for 5 nights and Villa 1 for 2 nights. Both were excellent accommodations with beautiful ocean views. The Guest House is quirky and artistic. The Villa 1 was romantic and relaxing.
The beach is scenic and well appointed with cushioned chaises and palapas for shade. The surf is a little rough for swimming but Sayulita is close by for surfing and paddle boarding. Purchase a surf tour through Wildmex for access to private beaches perfect for beginners or experienced surfers.
If you are looking for a romantic getaway, Playa Escondida will not disappoint.

Room Tip: We enjoyed Villa 1 the most because it had less jungle noise than Guest House, although we still lov...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Playa Escondida? Share your experiences!