“best pineapple fish ever” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Jakal

El Jakal
Ave Del Palmar just N of Miramar | Food Truck (Go Over the Bridge-To the North Side), Sayulita, Mexico
Improve this listing
Ranked #14 of 92 Restaurants in Sayulita
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
San Francisco, California
“best pineapple fish ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

We came to Sayulita during the hottest time of the year, and found this little gem close to where we were staying on the North side of town. I'm forever grateful for that heat, because if we would have gone only to town to eat, we would have missed out on the most glorious pineapple fish, coconut shrimp, and grilled shrimp tacos I can imagine. El Jakal is amazing. The food is cooked to order - down to the cutting of the pineapple and coconut - the owners clearly take pride and creativity in their craft and service, and the price is unbelievable for the quality. We came back every day after we discovered it, ordered something new each time, and everything we tried was delicious. If you are in Sayulita, and you love food, DO NOT MISS THIS! If you are staying in town, the walk will be worth every last step.

• Visited July 2014

laguna beach, california
“A Fabulous Accidental Find ~ GREAT Food !!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

My boyfriend and I set out to find a restaurant which we found out had closed for the season. Next door to it was El Jakal (which I had actually wanted to try and didn't realize it was right in the same neighborhood) ~ we saw a family who had sat next to us earlier the same day at breakfast bad they beckoned us in, saying it was outstanding and that they had been eating there every night!!! So....there we were, hungry and having been give a good recommendation we took one of the 4 tables in a little patio area in front of the food truck. Oh my gosh!!! The food was beyond amazing!! Seriously, we had the BEST shrimp ceviche, the BEST coconut shrimp with pineapple dipping sauce and the BEST crazy guacamole with shrimp!!! ALL the food was extremely fresh and the portions were huge and everything was delicious!! We had so much food that we took enough home for the next day's lunch!!! The chef and waiter/bartender duo were very friendly and helpful ~ Hector and Juan. Hector has had many years of cooking experience in various restaurants and he certainly shines!!! It's a little off the beaten path but well worth the extra little walk to find it!! Fantastic !! (An added plus for ME was the beautiful resident Siamese cat, Pepino!!! If you're not a cat person, don't worry, she won't bother you! If you love cats and call her name, she loves attention!!) Don't miss this hidden gem ~ they plan to expand next season and add more table seating ~ a very popular place to eat!!! The price was very, very reasonable and well worth every peso!! They are open from 1 to 9 pm everyday except Sundays, so lunch and dinner is waiting for to to try!!!

• Visited June 2014
Sayulita, Mexico
“Food-Truck Excellence, Mexico-Style”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

Love this place!

The Guacamole Tostadas were as beautiful as they were tasty.

Manta Chicharones? Hmmm... That was a new one for me and I had to order it, to 'get it' and I'm glad I did. They were sooooooo good.

Creative options, everything is made to order and the quality is superb. I plan to go back for some other adventurous options I saw on their menu that I had never heard or and my mind couldn't quite wrap around.

For Eaters, Foodies and Food Truck Lovers alike... This place is a winner!

Visited May 2014
Chicago, Illinois
“El Jakal is a must!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

Honestly, the most delightful restaurant visit. These three kids went in on this food truck and parked it in front of a building owned by one of the dads. They built a very small patio with 5 tables and a tiny area for mixing drinks. The food is great. Fish tacos, coconut shrimp, crazy guacamole, tequila shrimp are all delicious. Our margaritas were perfect. They take great care in what they do and make sure everything is to your liking. I will go every time I m in Sayulita.

Basalt, Colorado
“Best fresh made margaritas + tapas”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

YUMMIEEE! Our first afternoon in we went around the corner for happy hour, and that was it. Super small, home made, kind folks, DELICIOUS food and gorgeous margaritas made with sweet, hand squeezed limes. We went back at least once a day, and brought our friends. I hope these guys will be around for a long time. Oh! The coconut shrimp are out of sight, too!

• Visited May 2014