“Skip Painted Ponies and find Alalberto and his horses” 2 of 5 stars

Los Horcones Higuera, Sayulita, Mexico
Website
Improve this listing
Vancouver, Canada
“Skip Painted Ponies and find Alalberto and his horses”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

I grew up with my own horses and I’m an experienced rider. I appreciate Pat’s (the owner’s) prompt reply to organizing the trip and that she gives you a ride to and from where they keep the ponies. It was also easy to make payments through paypal. Other than, the ponies were not kept in a good physical condition, many with wounds on them, matted fur and generally poorly looked after. Many of them were also nervous when touched and seemed overall anxious and irritable. There were several incidents with two ponies freaking out being tied up to the trees and literally hanging by the reins almost strangling themselves.

We did the two hour beach ride, which only included a 10 minute ride on the beach. The rest of the ride took place mainly on non-scenic roads and through a small village.

Two days later I tried out a local horse ranger in the town of Sayulita named Alalberto which was an amazing experience. The cost is the same as Painted Ponies, but it’s cash only. You can find him where the river that goes through town meets the ocean. He’s there most days and ties up his horses next to the river in the morning. He sometimes walks the beach to advertise, which is how I found him. He doesn’t have a website and I’ve misplaced his business card, but he also comes with great recommendations for organizing local fishing and surf trips. Anyway, I did a two hour beach ride which took us through the town of Sayulita, along the main beach, up the mountain through a really neat rain forest to an amazing lookout of the coastline, then down to another beautiful large secluded beach and back again. Plenty of beach time. There was a 7 year old girl with us on the trip as well, and I would recommend it as being child friendly. His horses are very well looked after and you can tell how much he cares for them and how relaxed they are, so all levels should be comfortable taking this tour. He will do longer and customized tours as well. I met a couple who did a sunset tour the previous day and they loved it. He’s super friendly and grew up in Sayulita so he can tell you all you wish to know about the local area as well as giving you a truly memorable horseback riding experience. I highly recommend his tours!

Visited February 2012

Long Beach, California
25 attraction reviews
“Nice, family run. Healthy ponies.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

three of us went for a beach ride.. it was a fun experience and not expensive. located just a little ways out of the town square. give it a go!

Visited October 2011
Hampton, New Hampshire
“Horse connection”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

Have you ever met a person and knew you had a connection? Well, that's how I felt when I was riding AJ at Painted Ponies. What a fantastic animal! Believe me, I'm not an experienced rider, I do it for fun when on vacations, and some times it's a blast and some times I feel unsafe. But at Painted Ponies, it was a wonder! We were matched to the horses based on our experience and our group had all different levels. The animals are really well trained and respond to commands very quickly. The guides took great pride in their job and made sure we felt comfortable at any point of time.
We rode through the jungle, through a village, and then got to a pristine deserted beach where we went in the water on horseback. I have ridden many different horses in the past but none has been such a perfect match for me as AJ. He would follow my lead as if he could feel what I wanted before I even gave him guidance. And not only him but all the animals were such a pleasure to be around!!!
Also, this is the most beautiful horse ranch I've ever seen! Situated in the middle of the jungle in an unspoiled forest with palm trees where the horses have plenty of space to run around, take mud baths, and just live free!

Visited January 2012
Seattle, Washington
“Wonderful experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

We had a great time on our horseback ride. It was my 6-year-old's first time riding so they led him on a pony and had a helmet for him to wear. He loved it! The ride along the beach was beautiful. I would highly recommend this place.

Visited December 2011
Rosetown
3 attraction reviews
“A check off my bucket list!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

I can't say enough great things about our experience with Painted Ponies. I first contacted them thru email from home in Canada and they were quick to repsond and very helpful. Once we booked our trip thru paypal it was all set. The owner Pat picked us up at our resport and was a great tour guide along the way. Once we reached the stables our horses were ready to go.
The manager Monica asked us about our riding experince once again just to be sure and we were off. We rode thru the dense jungle enjoying the smells, view and conversation. We then came out into a small town and rode right thru.
This was an incredible feeling being right in the heart of Mexico. It felt like something right out of an old movie. The locals were friendly and all waved or said hello. We proceeded to the beach and the closer we got the more excited I got. My horse sensed this so we danced our way onto the beach.

Riding on the ocean beach was a life long dream of mine and I was in tears as I felt the rush of the water and the sounds and smells. We spent time riding up and down then headed to another trail out of town.
It was a 2 hour ride filled with great trails, great company and I can't wait to go back and visit. If you want an experience of a life time with people who know what they are doing email Monica and Pat. They were professional, friendly and very conscientious. I am a horse owner and have spent a fair amount of time in the saddle but my husband has not ridden in years. We were both matched with great rides.I would trust the most inexperienced rider with once of their horses any day. But please be honest about your ability to ride, a horse is still an animal with it's own mind!

Visited December 2011