“Beautiful in EVERY SINGLE way!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Haramara Retreat

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sayulita
Haramara Retreat
You added Haramara Retreat to your Saves list
Near Sayulita, Sayulita, Mexico   |
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Sayulita
Mexico
“Beautiful in EVERY SINGLE way!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

I travelled to Haramara for a 10 day Yoga retreat. Everything is absolutley amazing, you feel disconected to the outside world and you really get in touch with nature. The location is breathtaking, the yoga open air platforms make your yoga practica go to a completly different spiritual level. The rooms are fantastically integrated with nature, the staff is super friendly, the food is healthy and delicious. I do not have one single complain about my stay. I´ve been meaning to go back ever since my last stay. LOVEEEEEEED it.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2010

Loved the accommodations, open air living, yoga facilities were exceptional , dining area was magical. Close to town (20 minute walk, 5 minute cab), for more good food, surfing, fishing or night life. Staff very accommodating.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2010

I have been lucky enough to go to Haramara for 2 yoga trips. It is quick 35-40 min drive from from the airport. Staff met us at the driveway of Haramara to give us the rundown of the resort and to take us to our bungalows. Each one was better than the next, Private, georgeous views, comfortable beds, spacious, wonderful bathrooms. clean clean clean! The yoga meditation hall is one of the best spots I have ever been...360 degree view of water and jungle. The room is open on all sides. Great spot for watching the sunset.

Food was great. Healthy and always delicious. Great variety. Make sure you have tropical snack at least one afternoon.

Staff can arrange local activites you want to do. The town of Salyulita is very quaint and the beach is wonderful. The Haramara beach is rocky and seculded and not to be missed

Staff is great, friendly, accomodating.

I would highly reccomend the Marianne Wells yoga trip to Haramara, she has led multiple international trips (I also joined her in Costa Rica) and she understands how to work with her students as well as the resort to make sure that you have the ultimate yoga experience!

• Stayed December 2009
Chanhassen, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2010

I have visited Haramara Retreat twice with Marianne Wells Yoga School Retreat. This place is paradice! We flew into Puerto Vallarta, it was an easy 45 minute ride to Haramara. My first stay was in a private bungalow with my huband - very romantic - we had a front porch with table and chairs with an unbelievable view above the pacific ocean. The private shower was outside and also overlooked the ocean - very cool! The bungalow was immacuate and the bed was very comfortable. On my second trip I stayed in the dorm. This is bungalow that sleeps six very comfortably. There is a large bathroom on each end. Our daily yoga practices were held in a meditation space with evening sunset views over the Pacific. Marianne did an amazing job of coordinating and organizing a group of people from all over the world. She was able to meet each of our individual needs. Marianne has more knowledge, passion and dedication to her practice than anyone I have ever met. We learned so much on a physical, mental and spiritual level. Practicing yoga in such a beautiful place with Marianne Wells was truely a gift of a lifetime. Our group had local activities including canopy tour, horseback riding, surf lessons, and a visit to a secluded beach that is one of the most beautiful in the area. Almost every day, we walked into the town of Sayulita. It was a fun 20 minute hike along the beach and we felt very safe. I would highly recommend taking the time to visit this cute little town. Taxi's are available for those that don't want to walk. Or, just below Haramara Retreat is a secluded and beautuful beach where you can sit and relax. If you are there at the right time, you may see a whale in the distance. Although the beach is somewhat rocky, we still had fun surfing in the waves. The food was very healthy and good. We often had fresh seafood and each day we were treated in the afternoon to a tropical snack. The staff was extremely friendly, and prompt. This is a very safe destination as many Americans live there in the winter and have businesses in the area. This is one of the most amazing places in all of Mexico.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2008

I found out about Haramara from someone who posted a trip review on the Sayulita forum, but there is no formal listing for the retreat on tripadvisor, so I'm adding it now.

My husband and I had to postpone our already very belated honeymoon until January due to lack of vacation time and other obligations, so we decided to take a quick 3 night trip to Sayulita with the intention of surfing, relaxing, and surfing some more. Villa Amor was booked for a wedding, and I wasn't sure about renting a private villa without understanding the layout of the town, especially after reading lots of mixed reviews about actually staying in town. So it was down to Playa Escondida and Haramara. Neither have a/c, Luna 1 at PE was booked, Haramara was supposedly closer to town by 10-15 minutes, and looked so beautiful, so I took a leap and booked Haramara.

Haramara Retreat consists of a small number of very elegantly designed open air cabanas on the hillside overlooking a small rocky, but dramatically beautiful beach in a secluded cove.

We stayed in a premium cabana, which had ocean and mountain views from bed and the open air shower. It looks just like the photos on their website. There is no electricity, just several oil lamps and candles to light up your cabana at night, but it has plenty of hot water in the very pretty bathrooms, as well as normal flush toilets. There was plenty of purified water in our room. When we first arrived it was very warm, and we worried about getting to sleep that night, but by the time we went to bed, it had cooled off and we slept fine in the romantic mosquito-net enclosed bed (although my husband was a little claustrophobic with the netting at first). The following days were cooler and it was very enjoyable to lay in bed during the late afternoon after surfing all day, and just relax. You can hear the ocean crashing all night, which I loved, although my husband complained it kept him awake the first night.

To get to the open air restaurant, you need to hike up a steep jungle-lined dirt path. No shoes are allowed in the restaurant area, probably to avoid tracking in the dirt. The restaurant is also beautifully designed, with amazing ocean views, and at night, it is also lit by oil lamps and candles. 3 meals a day are included in the rate. They are mostly vegetarian, except sometimes shellfish or fish, and they just serve everyone the same thing (no menu), unless you tell them about your dietary restrictions. We had some dietary restrictions, and although I had told the woman thru which we booked, she didn't tell the restaurant manager. However, when I told him directly, they accommodated us with modified meals. The food was interesting and good - not great though. A little bland, but very healthy. They try to use local produce and focus on wellbeing. They come up with the menu each day and like to surprise you. Breakfast was a cold buffet (with hot coffee and tea), and dinner was a 3 course meal. Alcoholic drinks are extra - we ordered several delicious margaritas. We ended up skipping lunch every day to eat in town since we didn't want to trek all the way back btwn surf sessions (fish tacos in town were delicious!).

To get to Harmara's beach, you hike down the steep jungle lined path. There are (plastic?) beach loungers under a few shade palapas. You can also climb over the boulders to a gorgeous larger cove beach. We swam and jumped waves there the first afternoon we arrived - SO nice - the water seemed cleaner than Sayulita, and felt like the temperature of bath water! There is a mansion being built at the top of that beach, but right now, it is only accessible from Haramara, or by hiking through the jungle from town, and so it was often empty, which was really nice.

The focus of the Haramara is holistic health and yoga - many yoga groups come here for retreats. There is an ocean view yoga studio somewhere (saw it on the website, but didn't actually see it on site). Neither of us are into yoga, so we were kinda of outsiders. The first night seemed to be the last night for one yoga group of mostly women, and I was sure my husband was like what did my wife get me into? Nobody talked to us. Then the 2nd night a new yoga group came in with more couples, and they were much friendlier (though we instigating the conversation). Still, we definitely felt like outsiders, both from the group and the Harmara staff, which were much friendlier to the yoga group, and pretty much ignored us. Thus, I'd probably recommend this much more to yoga focused travelers.

There is a massage hut and the retreat also organizes snorkeling, sailing, and canopy excursions, but since we were there for such a short time, we didn't partake.

The cleaning staff was trustworthy and thorough.

The hike across to the 2nd beach and then through the jungle to town took about 20 minutes each way. I thought it was a nice little mini-workout adventure every day.

Anyhow, I'd have to say this is one of the most beautiful and unique places I've ever stayed. I showed photos to my mom (a yoga nut) and some friends, and they were all ready to go. I am struggling btwn the 4 and 5 star rating - I felt like they could have been friendlier to us, the food could have been a little tastier, and for the price, alcoholic drinks or some other extras could have been included. We got a special rate, and it still seemed a little on the pricey side. However, I did really love it, and if you want a new experience in a gorgeous setting, and have a hankering for rustic elegance the way I do, you will too!

• Liked — gorgeous cabanas, views, setting. good location. very unique.
  • Disliked — unfriend and distanced staff, probably b/c we weren't doing yoga. food a little bland (but healthy!).
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Haramara Retreat? Share your experiences!