“Not as 'hyacinth bucket' as I thought” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 14 Restaurants in Salema
Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
london
“Not as 'hyacinth bucket' as I thought”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

Always avoided as I thought it was full of golf sorts and atypical northerners - too much cheap gold jewelry, too loud and a sea of chinos and jumpers round shoulders.

Whilst there are many present who like to attempt to bat above their average, ordering expensive things that they don't understand the restaurant caries on regardless. Interesting food cooked very well, good value and nice staff. There were a couple of loud eeebygum's and debenhams finest waving coop gold Visa cards and smoking Berkeley menthols, but if you ignore them you will be fine. Well worth a visit. The chef reallyknows what he is doing and the owners keeps the prices sensible. Skate was great and the octopus to start was the best I have had. Bottle of house white also takes some beating.

• Visited May 2013

Lagos, Portugal
“The best in the Western Algarve”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

This place is really special and I urge anyone staying (or living if you haven't been there) in the Lagos-Aljezur area to visit it. The restaurant's name means mouthwatering and the food is certainly that. Every detail in the restaurant has been carefully thought out by the owner Paulo Castela who opened Agua na Boca with his wife Irene in 2008. The food is best described as Portuguese with flair and passion. My wife and I first went there when it opened and since then we have introduced many friends - none of whom have been disappointed. Last night it was the turn of a Dutch and German couple and the service was perfect and the meal excellent in every way. As well as food and wine we ended up discussing the restaurant's tiling with Paulo because coincidentally the same person (a perfectionist) had also tiled our dinner companion's villa. Fine architecture and food - what more could one want! .

Bristol, United Kingdom
“Just superb”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We finally got into this restaurant even though we hadn't booked due to the time of year being so quiet....we thought! All the other restaurants in Salema were half full to sadly empty but on arriving at 7pm we were told we could have their last free table. During the winter closure the previous outside area has been enclosed by glass which can be pulled back in the summer months so there are lots more tables available inside. The atmosphere was already buzzing and as the tables filled up, with a mixture of tourists/golfers and local Portugese/English it felt a good place to be. The couverts were very different with very tasty bread rolls. The main menu was extensive with unusual dishes but we went for the specials. My husbands whole gently stewed rabbit was superb, the gravy something even I had to dip my bread into. My fish dish with onion, pepper and coriander sauce was good although I prefer more sauce. Vegetables are served in a separate ceramic steamer. We didn't recognise any of the wine, which makes a nice change, and the wine which the owner recommended was absolutely delicious and very reasonably priced. Overall the prices are no different to some of the other 'top' restaurants in the area. It was just superb and we will be back in July, possibly booking a table before we leave the UK!

Empingham, United Kingdom
“Excellent food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is the most fancy restaurant in Salema and we saved it for our last night. I wish we hadn't as it was clearly the best and in barely different in price to any of the other similar restaurants there. The service was very good and the food was excellent. The host/manager was friendly and knowledgeable. I would definitely recommend this place.

“Absolutely superb”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

We visit this restaurant a number of times each year and it is consistently excellent. The menu is interesting but not pretentious and the service spot on. Tonight we were there celebrating a family birthday and my daughter was made to feel very special. Cannot recommend highly enough but don't forget to book!