“Not as good as I hoped” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American, German
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Today, the renowned Vintage Restaurant is just steps from the main house of the Stone Hill Winery, and provides the perfect meal with the perfect wine. Over the years, the restaurant has catered to thousands of lucky diners, serving contemporary world cuisine, including German specialties, paired with Stone Hill Winery's award-winning wines. That's why it was nominated a "Best German Restaurant in America" by GermanDeli.Com. With its charm and warmth, the Vintage Restaurant provides the perfect setting for post-winery dining, rehearsal dinners, group tours and corporate meetings.
Overland Park, KS
“Not as good as I hoped”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

When friends and family learned I was going to Hermann for a weekend, most commented that I should stop at this restaurant because they had enjoyed it in past years. Maybe it was better then.

My visit didn't start well. The hostess walked my husband and me to a small table next to the noisy kitchen and asked, "Will this work for you?" I nicely asked if she could seat us at one of the other empty tables and, in a sharp, rude tone, informed us that the table we were looking at was our only choice. I asked “Why is that?” She replied that the empty tables were all reserved. They didn’t look reserved and it’s hard to say if the people who were later seated at these tables had reservations. Having lunch at this place on a Saturday doesn’t require reservations and the hostess’ attitude and demeanor made me question this odd situation.

It was mostly an older crowd. Our waitress was nice and brought everything at a good pace. There was a high school guy filling water glasses at all of the tables moving about like a drone. The décor was German kitsch from the 1970s, but I didn’t mind (even kind of liked) the atmosphere. The food was nothing to brag about. Some food was pretty good, most was pretty tasteless. They do make great pie.

Don’t go out of your way to go to this restaurant. If you happen to be hungry while at The Stone Hill Winery, it’s a fair option and one of the few restaurants nearby.

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Lincoln, Missouri, United States
“Good Food & Wine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

My husband and I make a special trip to Hermann two or three times a year just to eat here. I recommend the sampler platter or the apple cider braised pork shank. Generous portions and good food. After dinner enjoy the winery's tasting room next door. They also have a very nice gift shop.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Jill T, General Manager at Vintage Restaurant, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to reveiw Vintage Restaurant on TripAdvisor. The Sampler Platter is one of our most popular dishes. It gives those who have never tried German cuisine a taste of a couple different items.
Thanks for visiting and we hope to see you again very soon.
Martinsburg, West Virginia
“Disappointed..............”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

I am now on a gluten-free diet, and was so delighted to discover a very extensive and most interesting menu at the Vintage today. I ordered Sauerbraten, covered with carmalized onions, munster cheese, served with a creamy horseradish sauce. Plus I ordered red cabbage on the side. When my order was presented, I received a non-descript pile of beef and a side of red cabbage....no sauce, no onions and no cheese. Without tasting it, I returned it to the kitchen for "repairs." When the waiter returned with my plate, they had put perhaps a tablespoon of onions on my huge pile of beef and barely warmed a slice of cheese. I was told I could not have the horseradish sauce, as it had gluten in it (why put this on the menu????). Okay, so I finally tasted my dinner. Cabbage was fair...not the best I've ever had. But the meat....??!?!!?!?!?!? This was NOT SAUERBRATEN!!! It was just plain roast beef......there was no "sauer" to it at all. When approached by the manager to see how my "repaired" lunch was, I had to confess that it still was not right...that this was definitely NOT sauerbraten! She apologized, offering to get me something else; but by now my dining companions were almost done with their dinner and I declined to give them a third chance at getting me a decent meal. She also confided that when the restaurant runs low on sauerbraten,, they often do not marinate it as long as they are supposed to (5 days) and just serve it as it is. I maintain that if it is NOT what it is supposed to be, then DON'T OFFER IT!!!! Apologize to your clients and explain that you are out. There is no way to run a restaurant! I will say that they were nice enough to remove the charges from my bill, and were very apologetic. But the best thing was to get it right before it ever leaves the kitchen. My suggestion: HIRE A NEW CHEF if he/she is that careless. This restaurant has potential, but even the food for the rest of the table was just so so. I have been to some wonderful German Restaurants and this one didn't measure up by any stretch of the imagination. They would do wise to check out the Bavarian Inn in Shepherdstown, WV, as well as The Bavarian Chef in Madison, Va.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Chesterfield, Missouri
“Nice Dinner When In Hermann”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Dinner is always nice here. Nothing to rave about, but good country cooking. Had the pork while my wife had the chicken. Both prepared well. Also had a bottle of their sparkling wine, the brut one. Good.

Visited October 2012
Iowa
“Worth the drive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

When you Hermann, plan to visit on a weekend. The efforts will pay off with a visit to the Vintage Restaurant. The fried chicken is heaven sent.

Visited October 2012