“Not so much...” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 26 Restaurants in Hermann
Cuisines: German
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Vintage Restaurant was restored in 1979 from Stone Hill's original carriage house and horse barn.
Olathe, Kansas
“Not so much...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

We had dinner at Vintage Restaurant on 11/23/2011 and were terribly disappointed. I think this was a byproduct of the Oktoberfest craziness. The food came out SCARY FAST making me think it was all pre-plated. The entire meal was lukewarm and the rice undercooked. The chicken was rubbery and bland. The potato pancake and apple sauce were good as a side dish but the rest was not good. We had heard rave reviews about the place from all the locals so I would be willing to try it again if we came outside of a festival weekend. Another couple staying at our B&B said their meal was ok…nothing to brag about but not bad. I believe they had the Sampler and the Pork.

• Visited October 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Tulsa, OK
“Sad and tired staff and menu”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

We dined at the Vintage Restaurant (inside the Stone Hill Winery) in Hermann, MO late (last seating) on 9 Oct 2011. I'm not sure whether they were using a limited menu due to the larger then normal crowds brought by Octoberfest or their menu is always pretty limited. Either way, there were not many choices (one beef entree, one pork entree, etc.). While our food was not bad in any respect, not one dish was in any way remarkable. The staff performed their jobs acceptably, but without the slightest signs of affection for their work or guests. Imagine the zombie workers of "1984" and you get the picture. The uniforms and decor look like they were last updated decades ago. Nothing was wrong, but I wish we'd tried the Black Walnut Bistro restaurant in downtown Hermann instead. We only looked in the windows of it, but it looked like they're trying to bring some new cuisine to Hermann.

• Visited October 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC
“Good Food in a Nice Setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2011

The food is pretty good and so is the service. The setting is quaint. This is where I usually eat when I am in Hermann.

• Visited September 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
High Ridge, Missouri
“Good Service, Average Food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

If you're looking for knock-your-socks-off dining, this isn't going to work. But if you're looking for a decent meal in a charming setting, I think you'll find Vintage just fine. Although the dining room was fairly full, we were seated almost immediately, and our server came to take our orders soon after. We needed a little extra time, and our server was happy to check in a couple of times to see if we were ready. I ordered the Sweinnhaxe, and my wife ordered Schnitzel. Our salads were standard.
The spatzel, which we both selected as one of two sides with our main course, was a bit flavorless and wetter than I like. My wife got the red cabbage; it was a bit milder than usual, although I thought it was okay. My German potato salad was just the right combination of sweet overcoming sour.
My Sweinnhaxe was huge--a full hock of pork--and it was somewhat overcooked. I ate as much as I could, but the meat was a little dry for my taste. My wife's schnitzel was also somewhat dry and under-seasoned. She did like the German sauce that came with it.
Overall, the atmosphere was nice; the restaurant looked as if it might have been a barn once. The decor was fine, and our server was attentive the entire time. We didn't dislike anything, but we might or might not come again in the future.

• Visited September 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
St. Louis
“Not bad, I'm just not a fan of true German food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

There wasn't much on the menu for people that don't enjoy true German food. Not a bad place, just don't like that kind of food.

• Visited August 2011