“By far my favorite B & B in Hermann!!” 5 of 5 stars

Add it.
No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hermann
Serenity Place Guest House & Spa
You added Serenity Place Guest House & Spa to your Saves list
1011 Market Street, Hermann, MO 65041   |
Ranked #15 of 46 Hermann B&B and Inns
Hermann, Missouri, United States
“By far my favorite B & B in Hermann!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

My husband and I love to stay at B & B's, and I have to say that Serenity Place Guest House is, by far, our favorite. The staff is always very pleasant and accomodating, the rooms are very clean and quiet, and atmosphere is very calm and relaxing. We have actually been guests at SPGH 4 times and each time has been awesome. Not only do we get a clean, comfy, room with our reservation, but we also get to have an infrared sauna sesson for no extra charge. We LOVE SPGH, and we know you will, too!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
April G, Owner at Serenity Place Guest House & Spa, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Thank you so much for your positive feedback... we certainly do aim to please!

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

I love staying at b&b's and this one was extra special. With our two night stay we were given an hour long couples massage and sauna time!! All the innkeepers were awesome. I can't wait to go back for a girls weekend or another couples getaway. Such a good time!

• Stayed October 2012
I am happy that you were able to take advantage of the uniqueness of our Inn by relaxing in the sauna and enjoying a massage. I appreciate your comments.
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I made arrangements at Serenity Place because I thought it would be the perfect place for bachelorette haven. My girlfriend was getting married on Saturday and the brides maids were looking for a midweek retreat to recover from the hectic season of planning and preparing, Included in our party were two maids who traveled all the way from Europe for the wedding and were more than impressed with the quaint and yet luxurious guest house and spa. April, was very friendly and her gentle spirit radiated throughout the spa and added to the peacefulness in which we were seeking-and absolutely found. The rooms were perfectly clean, decorated elegantly and smelled relaxing in nature of the spa atmosphere. The bride felt rejuvenated from our stay and very pampered. After this experience I have returned to the spa for the massage services and have been very pleased. Over all, the calm that one gets from staying in a guesthouse that is coupled with the spa is beyond that offered in other B&B's in the city. I HAVE suggested many of my friends to stay Serenity Place while visiting Hermann.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Thanks very much for taking time to send us your feedback! We at Serenity Place and Massage for your Health are happy to accommodate small groups like yours by helping to make your celebration memorable. It was a treat for us to be a part of the pre-wedding excitement.
Olathe, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

My three girlfriends and I stayed at Serenity Place Guest House and Spa while on a girl’s weekend in April, 2012. My experience with SPGHS was overall positive and I would recommend this guest house for anyone looking for an inexpensive girl’s weekend away.
We arrived at the house late Friday evening and picked up the key in a prearranged location for letting ourselves into the house. The owner/employees are not there in the evening, so you have the run of the place (nice for a bunch of cackling old hens like ourselves).
Having done no research on where we would be staying myself (my friends had already settled on a location when I signed on for the trip) I had no preconceived notions as to where we would be staying. I was SO pleasantly surprised at the cleanliness and comfort of the Guest House.
I’m guessing that the house was built sometime in the 1920s or 1930s, the owner and her family have remodeled it to be a quaint little cottage. The first floor doubles as the spa, the bedrooms are upstairs. There are two large sleeping quarters, each with a queen bed and one with a futon, the other with a daybed and trundle. The beds were quite comfortable, the futon is, well, a futon.
Each bedroom is large enough to hang out in, but there really isn’t another “living” area to lounge around. They both have a television and dvd/vcr and the house has it’s own library of girly dvds and videos. There were also games and we indulged in our love of Mexican Train dominoes.
The bathroom is Spic and Span clean. It has a shower and toilet and the four of us had no problem using it to get ourselves ready in the morning. I wonder how a larger group would do?
As part of our package, breakfast was provided. Each morning of our stay we ate breakfast at “Kate’s Place” which is really the Alpenhorn Bed and Breakfast. April, the owner of SPGHS made the arrangements. Funny story, in the morning when we were headed to breakfast we kept trying to find Kate’s Place on our GPS or our iPhones and only when we texted April did we find out that Kate’s is actually named the Alpenhorn. Later in the day, the local shopkeepers or service providers in town, while making conversation, asked us where we ate breakfast. Each time we responded that we ate at the Alpenhorn. Each time they would give us a puzzled look until they figured out that we were actually referring to Kate’s.

The spa portion of our stay was not exactly what I expected and, knowing what I know now, I probably would only book a massage with Fran. The ultimate hand package and ultimate foot package were not manicures/pedicures; instead they were a hand massage and a paraffin wax treatment and a foot massage with a moisturizing mask. Ehhhh. The massages were nice, but apparently they are not licensed to use tools to give mani/pedis, so, just something to note.

One other spa item to note: Since most spa goers are from out of town and in Hermann to enjoy the wineries, I would suggest anyone booking spa appointments for Saturday book for first thing in the morning so that you can have the whole afternoon for touring and tasting. If possible I would recommend doing the spa on Friday afternoon or Sunday morning before you leave, that way Saturday is open for wine.

Lowlights of the trip: this is a small thing, but apparently making arrangements required numerous phone calls between the owner and my girlfriend who arranged the trip. I would suggest the owner/employees make a list of all the questions they need answered and send one email communication.

Highlights of trip: The employees/owners seem to be some of the nicest people we’ve encountered while traveling together. The house provided comfortable, clean accommodations. Run, don’t walk to Kate’s/Alpenhorn B&B for breakfast. Book Fran for the best massage of your life; that woman has a gift.

I would definitely stay at the SPGHS again for a girl’s weekend.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Thanks so much for taking time to post your feedback. We certainly do aim to please and will take into consideration your comments. Fran will be happy to hear your praise... she is a pro! I am so thrilled to have several massage therapists each gifted in different areas. Fran is especially good at deep tissue massage.
I laughed out loud when I read your story about "Kate's Place" (Alpenhorn Bed and Breakfast). All I can say is Hermann certainly is "small town life" at its best. Kate is a master in the kitchen! I am delighted how many businesses in town can cooperatively mesh to give our visitors a very unique experience.
Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

I stayed here in late April with three other women as part of a girls weekend, and we had a great time.

The accommodations:
The B & B is on the edge of town, but since the community boasts only 2,000 people, it's not a long walk, and there is a trolley service that will pick you up right at the end of the driveway.

As other reviewers mention, the first floor of the house is a spa -- there are massage rooms, a little office space, and a reception area. Guests have total run of the house after the spa closes in the evening.

Upstairs, there are two bedrooms and an expanded bathroom.

The bedrooms are lovely, but I don't think they would hold more than 6 people, maybe 7, comfortably. (I think it advertises that it sleeps 8.) In one large bedroom, there is a queen size bed, and a twin daybed with a twin trundle beneath. In the other large bedroom, there is a queen size bed and a futon. The futon would be awfully cozy for two who weren't a couple.

There are televisions in the bedrooms, and we found a stash of board games, popcorn and movies. However, there really isn't a good common area -- like a dining or living area space where guests can relax together.

Breakfast isn't actually served on the premises, but April will ask if you'd like to have it brought in, go to "Kate's" or the restaurant next door. Without fail, your answer should be "Kate's," which isn't really "Kate's." It's a lovely Bed and Breakfast a few miles away (you'll need a car) called Alpenhorn. Kate is the proprietor and the two meals we ate there as part of the package at Serenity absolutely made the trip. The food she serves is really, really something special. In fact, I feel a little guilty saying this, because I truly did enjoy Serenity, we booked a second trip to Hermann as we ate breakfast at Kate's one morning. We'll be staying at Alpenhorn on our next pass through.

The massage was one of the best I've ever had. They really do it up right, and members of our group booked massage services at Serenity for the next time we visit Hermann.

The negatives:
Our weekend package included pampering for all four guests, but our services were spread over two days. This made it tricky to tour the lovely town of Hermann and all of the wineries. We would've preferred getting our spa treatments all on the same day. We were also unprepared for male guests arriving at the spa while we were all sitting around in our robes. Just remember, it is a business, and while you will have the run of the house in the evenings, don't get too comfortable during the day!

Also, after we booked, they called our contact person (poor girl) several times to inquire about where we wanted to have breakfast and all sorts of other odds and ends. It was very stressful for her. She would've preferred to have everything just set up as part of the package rather than so many choices and phone calls. (I wasn't the contact person, so I can't really say, but she was upset about the number of phone calls she received.)

We also never picked up the chocolates that came with the package. I know the idea is to get us into the chocolate store, but if chocolates come with the package, they should be provided on site rather than giving out a coupon.

The town:
We loved Hermann, Mo., and as I said earlier we will be back. We're all very excited to take our husbands. It's an absolutely charming town. The wineries (we only made it to four of the dozen or so) were wonderful and delicious. And the people, for the most part, were warm and friendly.

If you go, I would probably recommend a more traditional bed and breakfast. Serenity is pleasant enough, but it just fell a little short of what we hoped for.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts. We do have a unique situation with a shared spa and inn. Just as an FYI however, most Inn guests who are not getting spa services at the time occupy the upper level of the home while the spa is on the lower level.
My staff and I maintain the policy of making each visit with us as personal and individual as possible. I apologize for the stress that the extra phone calls caused your friend.
As with most of the businesses that cater to those who are visiting the Hermann area we work together to serve the tourists and try to provide them the most positive experience. In order to do that, we do try to encourage folks to visit local shops through little gifts and coupons. If you choose to visit us again I would be more than happy to have the chocolates delivered to your room.
We at Serenity Place and Massage for Your Health feel so privileged to be able to offer our guests and experience unlike many other Inns in the area at a very reasonable rate. We thank you so much for your thoughts and comments. We do hope you will visit Hermann again soon.
kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

I was looking for a reasonable place to stay for a girls’ trip. From my first phone conversation with April I knew that this was going to be one great trip to Hermann, MO!!

Our group of 6 women stayed here during our 3 day/2 night trip. There are only 2 bedrooms and they are upstairs above Massage for Your Health. I loved the rooms—from the way they were decorated, comfortable beds, seating area, books and magazines, to the relaxing CDs and CD player. I appreciate all the thought and care she put into making the upstairs so inviting. There was also a refrigerator stocked with bottled water and room for any items we wanted to put in it. We used the microwave to heat water for the hot tea and cocoa as well as the popcorn she provided. Of course, there was a coffee maker for those in our group who wanted early morning coffee. Oh yes, she also had a library of DVD and VHS movies that we could choose from. She provided robes and house slippers for us to use which was really nice as we could lounge around before getting our massages and ultimate foot package downstairs. They were wonderful---talk about pampering, did we ever feel pampered! In fact, we went to the local chocolate store and were given some wonderful locally made chocolate with the free coupon that April gave us. Of course, it was go good we all bought more pieces!

I really liked the fact that it was “our” space. We had a key to the house, could come and go as we wished, and had the place all to ourselves at night---very helpful when you get a bunch of women telling stories and laughing without having to worry about bothering others.

April does not fix breakfast but offered us 3 options--sometimes decisions are just too hard to make  One morning we ate at a local restaurant with vouchers she gave us. The next morning we drove to another bed and breakfast and had the most amazing breakfast. The third option would have been a continental breakfast that April would have brought to us. The breakfast options were perfect for us as we had morning coffee before we left and then were able to head out for the day after our breakfast at the restaurant and the B and B.

Our group is already planning another trip. April has the gift of hospitality and attention to detail. I’m so glad that we stayed at the Serenity Place Guest House and Spa.

Salem
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

The size of the place was disappointing. Didn't get the chocolates like ad indicated. Very pricey for what we received and the messages were adequate. The breakfast place was an experience in itself!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to send you comments. I am so very sorry we missed the mark on the chocolates for you and that your experience wasn't what you had hoped for.
I do want to comment, however, for others who are reading this review that our Bed and Breakfast is by for one of the most reasonably priced in town. If you have any questions about the Inn check out our website and you can view the rooms, prices and other details.

Been to Serenity Place Guest House & Spa? Share your experiences!