“Great Mushroom & Swiss Burger!! Homemade pie!” 5 of 5 stars

+1 573-221-8100
Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: American
Description: A local tradition featuring classic home-cooked foods and healthy options in the heart of Hannibal, Missouri. Now under new ownership! Open Tuesday through Friday from 10:30am-2:00pm for lunch and Saturday 7:00am-2:00pm for breakfast and lunch. Closed Sunday and Monday.
Hannibal, Missouri
“Great Mushroom & Swiss Burger!! Homemade pie!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

My son & I had lunch here today. The mushroom-Swiss burger I had was delicious, generously topped with 2 slices of REAL Swiss cheese (not the nasty fake processed stuff some places try to pass off as real), fresh lettuce, sliced tomato & pickle. My son had a Club Sandwich and reported he liked it a lot.

We both had homemade pie for desert. Service was prompt and friendly.

This diner is still evolving and I am liking it better every time I come in.

Just last week I tried the Turkey Burger with the fresh herb seasoned patty...very tasty, moist too.

Karen Ruble is a delightful host and owner and clearly wants this to be the best diner around and she is taking steps to make that dream a reality.

I'm looking forward to trying the breakfast, which I hear good things about.

Based on my last three lunch experiences, if I were visiting Hannibal & staying downtown(or a local looking for something off the beaten path and good), I'd make a beeline to this comfy, friendly "not your average" diner.

Two thumbs up, Karen! We'll be back!

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Overland Park, KS
“Good meal at the diner”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Went to the diner and was caught in the middle of the lunch rush. It seemed that they were a bit understaffed to handle the number of people there. It took a while before we were helped. The server was very friendly and apologetic that it was taking so long to get served. Food we got was good and filling. I got the chicken fried steak which was good sized and had a good flavor with some homemade mashed potatoes. Gravy didn't really have any flavor, which was a bit of a letdown. I didn't realize until the end of the meal that I was supposed to get a roll with the meal, which I didn't. The coleslaw that came with the meal wasn't great. My wife got the chicken salad sandwich, which she thought was good. The potato chips that came with her meal were *salty*. Almost inedible salty. Everyone was friendly enough, and I'd definitely be willing to give it another go next time I'm in town.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Racheal R, Daughter of owner at Becky Thatcher 3rd Street Diner, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Hi Mister_Mojito,

Thank you very much for your review and feedback! I have let our cooks know and hope you'll be happier with the gravy the next time you visit.
Kirksville, Missouri
“What a deal!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

I am writing to highly recommend the Becky Thatcher 3rd Street Diner in Hannibal. This is a small, clean, friendly place with fantastic everyday food. (It's "everyday" only if you are accustomed to fresh and high-quality food.) There are daily specials that are some of the most reasonably priced entrees that you can imagine. The salads are excellent (try the quinoa salad), the pie is fantastic--all homemade. The new owner has hired enough people to cook and serve so the patrons don't have to wait long for their food. Don't miss this neat experience when you are in Hannibal, Mo.!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Columbia, Missouri
“Relaxing and friendly. And pecan pie!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Casual dining and friendly service. We were travel-weary and this was the perfect place to recharge in Hannibal. Our expectations were exceeded by the friendly service and good food...and the home-baked pies! I had the pecan pie, and it was among the best I have ever had (and I consider myself to be a pecan pie aficionado). The only drawback to this diner is that they serve Pepsi products (but no Coke). I consider that to be a small disadvantage for the hominess this place offers. Great, despite the touristy name...Becky Thatcher's.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Hannibal, Missouri
“Hidden treasure in America's Hometown - Hannibal, MO”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I love going to the Becky Thatcher 3rd Street Diner! Great quality food choices. Quaint diner environment. It is always nice to discover hidden treasures in small town America. This restaurant is one of them. The daily specials rock! And the desserts are out of this world!

• Visited May 2013