“Elegance and Relaxation at your fingertips” 5 of 5 stars

You added The Elms Hotel and Spa to your Saves list
The Elms Hotel and Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   401 Regent St., Excelsior Springs, MO 64024   |
Hotel packages
“Elegance and Relaxation at your fingertips”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

The staff were extremely helpful and knowledgeable about their areas. You could actually ask any of the staff what they thought of a menu item or a wine and the could intelligently respond on their thoughts. The spa and fitness area is kept to a high level of standards and is a great place to relax and shed the stress of the day away. This is also a great place to hold conferences because they were shown to be efficient in set-up and take downs with little to no issues. The only difficulty was locating the hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Topeka, Kansas, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

The Elms Hotel and Spa was a lovely and inspirational setting for my trip. It is reasonably priced and has as one of its focuses that clients can engage in self-care at the spa, pool, exercise room, etc. It is clearly a nurturing environment in a healthy fashion.
If you need an experience that refills your cup and energizes you this is indeed a setting where that can occur.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Jefferson City, Missouri, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Really enjoyed the hotel. All my needs were meet. The staff was very friendly. Look forward to staying again in the future. I made sure the Elms stays on our list of hotels we stay at for business trips.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

We returned to the Elms to celebrate our 11th wedding Anniversary. We actually stayed here on our honeymoon.
The renovations are breathtaking. The rooms are beautiful and up to date.
We had the one King bed regular room. (Groupon) To my surprise it was amazing! Big flat screen TV on the wall (even though we never turned it on), a KEURIG with coffee and teas, a Sony 'Dream Machine' iPod/iPhone alarm clock radio, plenty of wall outlets, a small desk with big oversized mirror. I could go on and on.
We knew to book the spa early. We each had the Signature Rose Petal Vichy Scrub. Highly recommended!! We had this same service 11 years ago, and it is still one-of-a-kind!!! The Grotto was phenomenal. The steam shower was an amazing experience! If you can get up enough nerve, you take the 'Cold Plunge' shower right after. We spent about an hour in the Grotto, and felt that was just enough time. It also had a HUGE rectangular hot tub, dry sauna, and steam sauna.
We wandered the hotel for a little bit. Just to see what changes have been made since we where here last. There was a wedding being set up for the next day in the gazebo. The outside pool is nicely sized and there is also a hot tub out there. The inside pool was gorgeous! But I have to admit, it's in an awkward location. And the chlorine was overbearing.
As we walked the halls we noticed that there's just something about this hotel. We didn't know if it was the history behind it and all the famous people who visited here, or just our sentimental value.
If you plan to come to the Elms, read about its history. Take in all the original woodwork and designs from when it was rebuilt in 1912.
Also, I must mention the restaurant. I felt that it was over priced, and not that big of a selection. If you want some local food, go to Wabash BBQ, literally a block away. It's amazing. And if you're lucky, they have a Live band on the weekends!

• Stayed April 2013
Kansas City, Kansas, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

This classic hotel is an excellent get-away for girls or couples. I loved it's history and all the beautiful details. The staff was super friendly and the amenities were very nice. The food was also excellent and would love to go back for more spa treatments. I'll recommend this to all my friends.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Jefferson City, Missouri, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

If you're looking for a romantic, relaxing place to stay, this is it! The room are luxurious, the beds and very comfortable. The entire property has an ambiance about it.... the staff are friendly, the food is tasty. This was our first stay at the Elms, we will definitely go again. Its worth the drive!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Jerusalem, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I regularly come to Kansas City to take my elderly mother out on a road trip. In the past, we have stayed at bed and breakfasts situated in old and beautiful mansions in the area, but at 90 years old, the bedrooms at the top of those gorgeous winding stairways are just a bit out of reach for Mom. We bought a Groupon in the winter for The Elms in Excelsior Springs. I was a bit hesitant, because I remember being a little scared when visiting the mineral pools surrounding the hotel as a young child. I swallowed my fear and made a reservation for two nights in April. I called at the last minute and the place was pretty booked, but they found a room for us for both nights. We arrived on Thursday afternoon, April 11. Everyone seemed extremely young but friendly and very professional. When we got to our room, I noticed that there was one king size bed. I had forgotten to make the reservation for two beds. I used the phone in the room to call down to the desk and ask if they could find us a room with two beds, but it was impossible because of the wedding party arriving the following day. Instead, they put us in the Truman Presidential Suite. It was huge and gorgeous. I loved the large bathroom with the antique style tub. Mom saw the king size bed and promptly curled up in a corner of the bed and went to sleep. I used the sofa bed, which was fine. We ate dinner at the 88. Delicious but not cheap. I enjoyed the spa, lap pool and exercise rooms. I used our $50 spa credit for a haircut, which gained me free access into the Grotto. Loved it. Went from wet sauna to dry sauna to steam room to hot tub with breaks in between to relax and listen to music.

I understand that the hotel just reopened after extensive renovations. It is beautiful. I was a bit reluctant to walk down the steps to the lap pool, remembering going down to the mineral pools as a child. I finally got to the bottom of the stairs and opened the door to a beautiful and well lit lap pool. Sigh of relief!

Mom and I visited area shops and flea markets (great antiques) during the day as well as a trip to the Hall of Waters, which tells the history of the area. The springs that are under the building are now closed. For our second night, we went to the barbeque restaurant around the corner from the hotel. Great food in an old train station. There are a number of restaurants in town, but we enjoyed the hotel's little coffee shop for a light breakfast.

The trip was great, but more than anything I was appreciative of the staff. I was amazed at how young they were but so well trained and professional. They were smiling, friendly and just pleasant to be with.

Although there was a wedding going on and the hotel was fully booked, it did not bother us. The wedding did not have loud music, but rather soft worshipful music which was enjoyable. The only noise I heard outside of my door was one of the noisy guests speaking loudly in the hall. Why anyone would do that I do not know.

Highly recommended and we will hopefully go back!

Room Tip: We were on the third floor - it was nice and quiet. Some rooms overlook the pool area which might be...