“Hippie/Meth-head hangout” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Mountain Creek Campground

Mountain Creek Campground
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Eldridge
Mountain Creek Campground
You added Mountain Creek Campground to your Saves list
11564 Kinfolk Rd, Eldridge, MO 65463   |
Kansas City, Missouri
“Hippie/Meth-head hangout”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Review Summary: This place needs to be shut down! Read if you want but it's long...

Maybe I'm just new to the MO camping experience but this is unlike any campground I've ever been to. This is basically just a place for professional hippies to hang out at all summer and fund their hippie lifestyle by renting out canoes and cabins - they don't care if customers are satisfied as long as they have SOME money coming in. Now I have to say I don't have a problem w/ hippies. I am from Austin but this was a whole new level.

We get there around 2:30 to check in and the office is locked w/ a sign that says back at 12:00. (Hippies don't believe in wearing watches.) Then the couple helping didn't seem to realize that anyone was even staying that night even though I made the reservations 2 months prior. We had to wait an hour for our cabin to be cleaned and actually get into it.

We got into our cabin and it still wasn't very clean - the guy could have swept the floor. And for $70 a night you'd think there would be a small kitchenette. There was certainly room for one.

We asked about WiFi because I (stupidly) didn't make sure my Spotify music was in offline mode and one girl (the nicest one from NY) said the password was $2.00 so when we came back later another guy was like "here is it..." with out charging and while I was circling the building trying to get my signal back another creepy girl was like "there's no phone service and we can't give out the WiFi since we have 5 other computers - it would be too slow." Really? I didn't think true hippies believed in technology?! Actually, she said "there's no service" in a "no one will hear your cries when we eat you tonight!" tone. Clearly these people aren't clear on the rules of the camp.

Then for our float we had to wait 1.5 hours after the shuttle time and as we were waiting on one bus the crowd was crazy. I don't mean college-kid, drunk and silly crazy. I mean, are you sure your trailer isn't in flames right now from all that meth you've been making in there?? OMG I've never been so out of place in my life. One guy, missing most of his teeth [whatever was left was black], decided somewhere along the way that women would actually show him their tatas for Jello shots. "Um...you're gonna have to fork over a LOT more than that dude!" I JUMPED off when a guy came on and said there was a kid bus! Our neighbors were pretty cool and we talked about it later that night about how they should have bailed also.

Did I mention the park brake on the bus didn't work so they used a heavy wooden block to keep the bus in park?! That HAS to be illegal.

The one good thing was our cabin was far from everything else (including the river - no bueno) so things weren't so bad when it was just us but dealing with these people and the majority of the other floaters was just a nightmare.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Families
Solo
Business

Been to Mountain Creek Campground? Share your experiences!