“Should be called Rico's Island..” 4 of 5 stars

Robinson Crusoe Island Resort
2.0 of 5 Resort   |   PO Box 2580 | Nadi Airport, Viti Levu, Fiji   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Likuri Island
Waikerie, Australia
“Should be called Rico's Island..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

I just got back from a fantastic week on RCI. From the moment I arrived on the island I was an islander - I even got dressed up in traditional costume to welcome a night trip!. The staff were so friendly, but Rico was the man. This is dedication for you - he had 3 days off while I was there, but was always doing something 'just to help out'. He made my stay, along with Nelson, Tuks, Fraser, Phillip, Lex, David, Seb, Roko and all the guys and girls. They are all so happy, maybe a bit happy for 6am when I'm trying to sleep, but I wasn't needing much energy.
If you're expecting a 5 star resort then this is not what your looking for. If you want a holiday where you can relax if you want, or you can mingle and meet others, or you can do lots of different activities then this is the place for you. Lazy Mondays and Islander Friday's are the best as there are no 'invaders'. Invaders are the day trippers that come for the day and the fantastic show. Even when they arrive you can find yourself a nice little spot up the beach away from it all or you can join in the turtle viewing, crab racing, snorkelling, etc. The food is wonderful - a lovo everytime there is a day trip, plus simple food when there isn't we had hamburgers, curries, and my favourite was a spinach and coconut cream dish that I will try to recreate at home, recipe please kitchen staff? Don't forget to let them know if you have any food allergies as they will cater to your every need, and if you don;t like something let them know. I hate curry so they whipped me up a quick stir fry.
I went on a dive and had a great time, Sharon held my hand the whole time as I was a bit nervous being only my 2nd dive, my first was in hawai'i and this was jusst as great. Saw a couple of reef sharks. Captain Fraser always knows te good spots :).
I made some great new friends with other travellers. It didn;t matter that I was travelling alone, we did everything together, even a few of us went to Liti's house on the mainland and went to church with her. Wonderful experience - do it if you can.
Staff were always cleaning, ok so it's not luxury but it's amusing having a bucket shower and it's clean. I stayed in the Bure Lai Lai, and it was so cute, perfect for a single traveller, or two friends who want separate rooms could stay in the two across from each other. They are a bit close to the main area though, which means no early nights as the music is on until the generator goes off at midnight, and early mornings when the staff get up to clean the toilets. My one suggestion would be to move them (haha) failing that I would get the staff to turn the music down if no one is dancing. Sometimes we couldn't just sit and talk as it was too loud. Most times it didn't matter though as no one really wanted to go to bed before the generator went off as we were hanging with our new friends and drinking Kava if we wanted.
I was a bit worried about the fact that I was booked in to RCI for my whole stay (except my first night in Nadi) and I wouldn' t be able to do any tours. Maureen emailed me a lot to answer all my questions and reassured me, but once I got to the island I didn;t want to leave - so I didn't (well except for church). I thought about doing a day trip to another island, but why leave home when you've got it on your doorstep? The water may not be as clear on the beach as other islands in the Yasawas, but there are some nice spots on the island and the pool is great too.
I'm already planning my trip back in December/January and this time I'll be staying for longer. I cried my eyes out when it came time to leave - well actually from the moment I woke up that morning - I really felt like I belonged there and that I wasn't meant to be coming home. I've travelled a lot and NEVER experienced being so welcomed. Graham - I have 6 weeks please let's work out a way for a kids club or me to do something. I'd love to come and stay/work there. I'll do it for FREE!!!!
Lastly, I say go with an open mind. Let yourself experience traditional Fijian life. You'll meet some new friends and see the best fire dancers in Fiji. I miss everyone and I C U baby.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2010

We arrived a day late thanks to flight delays but the staff were very understanding and didn't charge us. Off to a good start! This place is not like anywhere else we stayed. There is a real personal touch. The staff learned our names and chatted to us, introduced us to other guests and generally helped usto feel like we were one of the family. The bure (small houses) are rustic and traditional. The food was good quality and plentiful. The showers are fun! The hammocks on the beach steal the show! Lots of activities to join in and I suggest that you do. Even though you might feel like a wally at times, it's these memories that made the place. Of course, if you just want to hang out - that's there too. my favourite moment was the bonfire at sunset...just gorgeous! Thanks guys for making this a real highlight of our trip to Fiji!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
portugal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2010

Having recently returned from our world trip, here is our experience on Robinson Crusoe Island....

WOW, this place is amazing. Some of the best times of our life were spent here on a short 4 night stay. The staff greeted you with singing off the boat and immediately we were made to feel welcome. The food was outstanding and the cuntural shows were the best we had seen. Every aspect of this place was fantastic. We stayed in a dorm for the first two nights, and then upgraded to a private Bure for Valentines day. Such a wonderful experience, we would LOVE to go back again and see our friends!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2010

Charming, rustic Island experience - no luxuries but who cares! I went with my Mum who isn't really the 'outdoorsy roughing it' type but she loved it! Amazing massages and treatments for really cheap, lovely comforting food, great fun atmosphere! Top of the class staff who really make you feel welcome and magnificent performers too! Lots of activities to keep you entertained or just lie on a hammock and soak it all in.... Bliss!

• Stayed August 2009
nadi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

What an island! From the minute we stepped foot off the boat to a welcome song from the staff, we have loved every single minute.

There is never a dull moment on this island with plenty of daily activities including crab racing, turtle viewing, dancing by the staff including fire & knife dancing which is the best we've seen! The snorkeling is incredible with the best visibility and the most amazing colours of fish, turtles and even sharks! Make sure you make the most of the diving, its really reasonably priced and is a must whilst visiting the island! It was the first time my friend and I did a dive and we were so relaxed with the help of the great diving team.

The staff are awesome and make you feel right at home. It's refreshing to find a resort where the staff can socialise with the guests during the evenings which adds to the culture, there has been many evenings where we have sat drinking Cava until the early hours which gives a great insight into the Fijian life!

The dormitories are basic but very comfortable and there is something to suit all budgets, including a private luxury lodge. The bucket showers sound much worse than they actually are, infact there a refreshing end to the day after being in the South Pacific heat all day...

Food is always tasty with the traditional Lovo most days of the week where food is cooked in the ground.

This place is truly awesome and wasn't just a resort you could stay at once, we made great friends here and will definately be returning in the near future.

It's a must see when visiting Fiji and worth staying for at least a couple of nights to get the real experience.

Thanks to all the staff that made this trip more special than we could have imagined...

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

This is our 3rd trip in 4 weeks to this beautiful island, and we'd still return if we had the time... Each time has been better than the last with the friendly staff welcoming you into their 'family!'

The staff are amazing, and make the island what it is, their fun personalities ensure that you never have a dull day! You either have the option to join in the fun (all day) or simply sit and chill in a hammock overlooking the beautiful Pacific Ocean.

Accomodation is clean and comfortable and the lodges are well worth upgrading to for that more luxurious stay. The facilities are always kept to the highest possible standard and should you have any concerns, the staff are always available and willing to help out!

Fresh meats and salads are served everyday and there is always plenty to go round even when the island is at its busiest.

Overral this is the best place we have stayed in our 4 month trip, and we look forward to visiting again next year...

Thank you Robinsons for giving us the Fiji bug!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Duluth, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

Robinson Crusoe island is a great place to go to see an authentic cultural dance and Cava ceremony the staff takes the proceedings very seriously to show you how it is suppose to be culturally. i had been to 5 islands prior to this one and none took it quite as professionally as this one. i went and camped on the island for 3 nights and the first night they welcome you to the island and include you as one of the islanders as you say goodnight to the day trippers. throughout the course of the 3 days i became very close with the staff and went net fishing and i dressed up as a local warrior and helped with welcome ceremonies. they like to play vollyball and so do i so that was a daily staple of life at 4:30 again optional. lodging is great as a backpacker it is very comfortable and clean. the snorkeling on the island is very marginal because of the constant assult of waves on the coral so of the places i had been in fiji this had the poorest water visibility and reef. can not speak for the scuba diving. but heard it was better. i can not say enough about the staff on the island. the island itself is small and if there is few people staying on the island. the locals are great people to meet traditionally after a cava ceremony you are considered family and i felt like it. and you will too go to robinson crusoe island and spent a few nights meeting the locals learn some of the language the culture is unparalleled and the people are the most friendly BULA TO MY BROTHERS THE SONA LOA LOAS!!!! LEX, GAS, JOE , MAT, DAVE, BISKETE URO LEVU, AND THE POLENESIAN love you guys!! ill be back one day thanks for an amazing time.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Robinson Crusoe Island Resort? Share your experiences!