“Nice but lacking” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott St. Louis Westport Plaza

You added Courtyard by Marriott St. Louis Westport Plaza to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott St. Louis Westport Plaza
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11888 Westline Industrial Dr, Creve Coeur, Saint Louis, MO 63146   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Creve Coeur
Louisville, Kentucky
“Nice but lacking”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

The hotel was nice, nice pool, a little confusing to navigate through but there was no mini fridge in our room. I don't think I have ever stayed in a hotel without a mini fridge. Travelling with our 1 year old this made it very difficult to keep his food and milk

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Columbia, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2010

We had three rooms here and they were SO very helpful! They made sure we had everything we asked for. We had separate beds in each room and they even brought us our own mini refrigerator. We will definitely stay there again, if given the opportunity!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2010

I fear we were quite disappointed with our stay. We had a horrible night's sleep due a variety of factors including a jarringly loud air conditioning unit in the room, excessive noise from the hallway filtering into the room quite easily, and as a result of any time my wife or I shifted in the bed the entire mattress shook. Quite miserable to say the least. Also, breakfast is not included in spite of room rates that tend to revolve around $100 a night, but instead a buffet may be purchased for around $10. Overall, two significant factors for us in determining if we will consider staying again. It was also quite awkward to get to from the highway as you essentially drove around in a somewhat confusing large circle to try to get to it. Luckily we arrived during daylight hours, otherwise it might have been quite a task.

On the positive, I will admit my children enjoyed the pool and hot tub, which seemed well-kept. At night there was an excessive amount of guests running, jumping, and throwing things all around the place, but that was more a product of the disrespect by the patrons than the hotel's quality. The wireless internet access seemed adequate when I used it briefly. I also will share that the staff was very kind and cordial in all of our exchanges.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Cedar Rapids
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2010

We stayed two nights prior to our flight out of the airport to enjoy an extra day enjoying St. Louis (Nascar Speedpark not a good option for little kids (7, 6 and 3) at this time of year. The room we received was adequate (second floor). There is absolutely no smoking in this hotel so beware before booking. We used the pool area which is small but not busy the weekend we stayed (05/15 to 05/17) so worked well for us.

The location is fine for the airport with restaurants in the vicinity. McDonalds a block to the east for breakfast was cheaper for our family in the morning. The buffet at the hotel was over $10 for adults and I think $5 for kids and did not appear to be anything special.

They also charge 75 cents per local phone call so beware of that. I would have used my cell if I had known that in advance (it pays to research before picking up the phone).

This hotel did not offer airport parking and transfers so will stay at a place with that option in the future.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Quincy, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2010

My party and I arrived at Courtyard by Marriott on Friday, April 30, 2010 and right away we began to have problems because our hotel swipe cards would not unlock our room, so the staff had to place us in another room. The room they switched us to did not have a balcony, which we specifically requested, so they once again had to move us. Once inside our room and situated, everything seemed to be going fine.
We reserved the room because we were attending a concert the following day in Sauget, Illinois and figured since we‘d be in the St. Louis area that we‘d visit some of the local attractions the day before the concert.
May 1st, the day of the concert arrived and we decided that we wanted to reserve a room for Sunday, and that since the venue that was promoting the concert is open 24 hours it would be more cost efficient for us to just stay there or sleep in our car until check-in time on Sunday. With that option being agreed upon by my party and I, we proceeded to the hotel lobby to check-out and met with a deceptive African-American woman named Aretha. We explained to Aretha that we were wanting to reserve a room for Sunday and that we were checking out today to go to a concert and since the concert will let out late we will just stay at the venue or sleep in our car until check-in time. We began to turn in the hotel swipe card and Aretha said “no, you keep that. I got you. Just hold on, and I’ll take care of you”. She said that we were welcome to come back from the concert and stay overnight and that we would only be charged for the stay on Friday and Sunday at our friends & family discounted rate. We repeated what she had told us just to verify that we understood her correctly, to which she replied: “I said I got you, go have fun at your concert and afterwards you can come back here”. I was so thankful for her hospitality that I slipped her $10.00 as a tip for helping us out.
That night after the concert we returned to the hotel exhausted, and settled in for our night’s sleep. Unfortunately, a few hours later our sleep was disturbed by the guests in the room next to us who were engaged in extremely vocal sexual relations. With no sign of the disturbance letting up, we decided to contact the front desk. The attending hotel employee made it apparent that he would feel uncomfortable disrupting the guests in our neighboring room, and assured us the noise should quiet down shortly. With the feeling that we were being disrespected and our complaint not taken seriously, we buried our heads in our pillows and attempted to fall back asleep.
The morning after, we found our hotel receipt slipped under the door. The receipt was in the amount of $203.01 which is $67.67 more than what was agreed upon. I showed my girlfriend, who exited our room to confront the hotel management about the overcharge. She returned to our room stating that she met with Greg Kreith, the hotel’s general manager. To say that she was upset would be an understatement. She exclaimed that Greg was the most rude and inconsiderate manager that she has ever dealt with. She said that she had tried to explain to Mr. Kreith the arrangement that was promised to us by Aretha, but he kept interrupting her and repeating “why would I give you a free night”? Unsatisfied with the way my girlfriend had been treated and that the situation remained unresolved, I decided to confront Greg myself. Words cannot describe how horrified I was by the immature demeanor and actions of Mr. Kreith, and the fact that he was the hotels general manager. I calmly explained the situation and promises that were made by his employee, Aretha. Greg quickly intercepted the conversation and said “Why would I give you a free night”? I replied “you didn’t, Aretha did”! Greg then became more irritated and said “That just doesn’t make sense to me, why would I give you a free room”? I once again explained to him exactly what Aretha had promised us, and told him his employee allowed us to stay those few hours for free and not him. Greg became more angered and said “why would she do that? I just can’t believe that you want me to believe that she gave you a room for free. It just doesn’t make sense. Aretha has been with us for 14 years. This is a business, why would she do that. I began to say that “I figured she was trying to give us superb customer service and exceptional hospitality”, but Greg cut me off. He raised his voice and said, “since you’re the type of person who expects to get something for nothing, why don’t you go into Best Buy, take a CD off the rack and walk out the door with it”? Shockingly, I replied, “I don’t steal, but I do expect people I do business with to keep their side of the agreement”. Greg chimed in by replying, “Maybe that was a bad example. How about you go into a restaurant and eat, then leave without paying”? I said back, “look, I’m not here to argue with you. I was promised something, and now your not honoring what was promised to me. Greg replied “I called Aretha, and she told me she never agreed to any such arrangement and that she would help you out by giving you three nights at the friends and family discounted rate, and that is what she had done. I’m sorry if you misunderstood her”. I rejected his comment to me and stated to him “oh, I understood just fine. You and your employee’s operate a bait and switch scheme on your hotel guest. It’s apparent that I won’t get anywhere with you, so just be aware that this charge will be disputed”. Greg replied by saying, “you can dispute it all you want, but I stand by my decision. You will be charged accordingly.
I exited the hotel lobby and returned to my hotel room. Inside our room I contacted customer care for Courtyard by Marriott hotels and explained the situation. They apologized and placed me on hold while the called the hotel to speak with Greg Kreith. The customer care representative returned and stated they had spoken with hotel management, and that the management is unwilling to credit for the nights stay that I was disputing. They said that there is no way to rectify the problem because they have to go along with the hotel’s decision. The representative then reminded me that the friends and family discounted rate is a privilege and that if I escalate the complaint it could have irreversible consequences.
After returning home from our trip, I was informed that Greg Kreith had made contact with the employee who had given us the friends and family discount. Greg had informed the employee that he is adding a penalty charge to our account because my party and I were smoking in the hotel room. The irony in this complaint from Greg is that we are non-smokers and therefore were never smoking in the hotel at all.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Charleston WV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2010

The moment we checked in Ms. Aretha was so helpful, cheerful and responsive. Staff addressed needs and accomodated us. Rooms were clean and hotel looked well maintained. My father-in law required a special diet and we we're going to forego the buffet breakfast until Ms. Mabel agreed to cook his food personally accomodating his special diet. The food and service was impeccable. Ms. Christine our buffett server was very cordial and polite. This was a terrific example of customer service.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2009

I got this hotel for only $44 per night on Name Your Own Price on Priceline and stayed two nights. It was an excellent hotel for the price. Rooms were clean, the staff was nice and it has amenities like a pool and fitness room. The only problem I had was that even though the hotel is non-smoking, there was a faint smoke smell in my room...noticable, but not a big deal.
The location is not very convenient if you are there as a tourist. It is a about a half hour drive to downtown St Louis...but there is easy access to the highway. There are plenty of dining options only a half mile away at Westport Plaza. Overall, I thought it was great hotel. Much cheaper than staying downtown and we planned our activities so that we only had to make the round trip to and from the hotel once per day.

• Stayed July 2009

Been to Courtyard by Marriott St. Louis Westport Plaza? Share your experiences!