We travel to St. Louis often because we have family there, and usually stay at the La Quinta on Lackland Rd. in the Westport area-- very close to this Drury Inn. We wanted to try something different and maybe find a hotel with an indoor pool. Based on the Tripadvisor reviews, we chose this Drury Inn. We were not happy with our stay. Here are the main reasons…
• Front desk was swamped when we checked in with a line 5 or 6 people long.
• The evening drinks and snacks “Happy Hour” was packed. There was no place to sit, and my husband had to wait in line 10 minutes to get a beer.
• Everywhere you looked there were unsupervised children running around. I asked one of them “Are you here with a Youth Group or something?” They said “No, just here with my parents.” (And just so you know, we are not anti-kids… we were traveling with our 2 year old.)
• The pool was closed when we tried to go swimming. Try explaining to a 2 year old that they can’t go swimming after you have been talking it up all day. Not fun.
• The hallway was noisy all night. I was woken up twice by kids running and being loud, and once by some sort of loud cart at 5:30 in the morning.
• We went down at 6:15 with our 2 year old to eat breakfast, only to be told that breakfast doesn’t start till 7am on the weekends. Luckily they had already put out the cereal, and my daughter was content with that.
I’m not sure why this Drury Inn was overrun with children… I think maybe families with lots of kids stay here and take advantage of free breakfast and (sort of) dinner. Having said all that, I realize that a lot of these complaints are not in the control of the Hotel, but if you are trying to choose a calm, restful place to stay, I highly recommend the La Quinta. It is just as good, but without the indoor pool and “happy hour.”