“Needs a good cleaning, and some new furniture + mattresses” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Sonesta ES Suites St. Louis

Save Saved
You added Sonesta ES Suites St. Louis to your Saves list
Sonesta ES Suites St. Louis
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1855 Craigshire Road, Creve Coeur, Saint Louis, MO 63146   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #4 of 9 hotels in Creve Coeur
Portland, Oregon
“Needs a good cleaning, and some new furniture + mattresses”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Our room smelled strongly of cat and a litter box. Furniture in the main room is very stained and down to the springs with age. Mattresses are old and need to be changed out. Bathroom showers are both very old and moldy/stained. Property needs an update. The size of the room and the price is great, but expected more since other Staybridge Suites have been very nice in the past.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

96 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Hershey, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

Booked online through Priority Club. Received confirmation email. Arrived. No room available. What? Since I didn't get to stay in any room, I can only rate everything as 1-terrible, because no room at all is worse than any option.

• Stayed July 2012
s.ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

We stayed three nights over a weekend. It was very comfortable room was clean for the most part. They needed to sweep under the couch but so do I. The staff was friendly. Breakfast area was clean and the breakfast was good. It was a nice stay we would stay there again. Remember there is not reg. maid service over the weekends there. However if you did need anything the staff was happy to help you out.

Room Tip: pre pay on line the rooms are cheaper. if you are not a light packer ask for a ground floor otherwis...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Tyler, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

I cannot believe that this hotel, is associated with Holiday In or Staybridge Suites. I am a Platinum Priority Club member and travel for business, almost 10 months out of the year. This hotel is the dirtiest, filthiest, out of date hotel I have ever stayed at. I have come to trust using Holiday Inn and its sister Staybridge Suites all over the country. Thankfully, my wife is not with me on this trip, she would be disgusted and we would probably be looking for another stay in the area. The room's are in a state of despair, with out dated appliances, out dated tube tv's, that you can hardly here because the volume only goes to a certain range, dirty walls, floors and furniture. I moved my couch and found food and a half empty water bottle under the couch. My pillows on the bed were nasty and had to request new ones. There is only 3 washers and 4 dryers, actually 2 dryers because two were broken, servicing the entire complex of a 100 units or better. The pool is constantly full of kids screaming with no adult supervision and the water has a weird unkept cloudy appearance. Not sure if Id venture into it anyway. The breakfast and sundown socials, for which Staybridge is none for is sad at best. I went to the reception area one morning for breakfast and their spread was no better than a Days Inn continental breakfast, on paper plates. I have decided to do all my meals in my room. If ever having to return to the St Louis for work, you can be assured it will not be spent at this hotel....

Michael Adams
Field Superintendent
Elder Jones Inc

Room Tip: Stat away from this Staybridge Suites
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Sonesta ES Suites St. Louis, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Dear Michael A,

Thank you for being our Platinum Priority Club member and choosing to stay with us. We greatly appreciate you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We strive everyday to create special experiences to our guests and I am truly sorry we did not manage this for your stay. Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience and negative impression you may have had due to the condition and overall cleanliness of our property as well as your room accommodations. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHG Care
Minneapolis, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

Let me preface this review by stating that my husband travels almost weekly for business in Sales and is a Holiday Inn Platinum Priority Club member of which Staybridge Suites is part of the Holiday Inn or IHG family. Often times he travels alone, but this time, unfortunately I traveled with him. We love to stay at Staybridge Suites. They have always been consistant in providing a clean, spacious suite and nice amenities for travelers who need more than a simple room - either for an extended stay, to accommodate families with the option of multiple bedrooms or for business travelers like ourselves who need to work some from their hotel, then relax after a long day. We also travel quite a bit for pleasure and are easy to please - realizing we are not at home and staying at a hotel. . We have never complained before, even after I found a half-eaten sandwhich one time in a bathroom....interesting!

We arrived at the hotel at 10:00pm after a 10 hour drive from Minneapolis, and noticed they must have been doing some remodeling, due to all the junk (as it turned out to be roofing materials) all over. Upon checking in, my husband was told they were re-roofing but it shouldn't be a problem. We were "upgraded" to a 2 bedroom suite but were paying their standard rate of $140.00 a night for a single bedroom suite. When we entered our room, the first thing we noticed was all the black "stuff" on the inside door and on the wall to the left.........mold or mildue perhaps.....not sure but gross! The white? (it probably was at one time) kitchen counter was stained with something red. The 4 burner electric stove had one burner sticking up....not sure why. We entered one bedroom to find fingerprints all over the mirrored closet doors. The furniture was outdated......chunks missing from sides of the dressers for example, very old, dirty carpet, uncomfortable beds, cracks in the bathrooms, tube TV's and the "suite" looked like it hadn't been cleaned in a LONG TIME. We were both exhausted from the long drive and crawled into bed.......me in my clothes because I seriously wondered about the bedding.

The next morning, my husband left early for sales calls and I thought I'd check out the outdoor pool because the forecast was for temperatures in the 100's and was one of the reasons we chose this hotel. The pool was closed due to the hotel roofing/construction - too bad they didn't tell us when we arrived or had a note on their website, I walked around the grounds and noticed how in disrepair the hotel was....gouges in wooden steps and siding. This hotel needs MUCH more than new roofs.

Since there was no place for me to spend outdoors, I spent the day in our room. I had trouble with the tube tv's......one of the changers didn't work. When my husband returned, we went to their evening reception, hoping to grab a beer and perhaps a snack. The "bar-b-que" looked dried out and disgusting - served simply with chips. We decided it was safer to "pass", but thought we'd grab a beer from the keg in a cooler sitting out since it was 113 degrees. My husband was told the keg wasn't working........to which he responded "what does work around here". The staff member apologized but agreed with our frustration.

We spent the next night there, simply because it was close to a sales call my husband had to make the following morning, and knowing we would be leaving that day. My husband complained to the Sales Director/Manager who was apologetic but seemed surprised when he told him this was the filtiest hotel he'd ever stayed in and cited the specifics.

This hotel will no longer be part of the Holiday Inn organization as of August, 2012, and we understand why. It is FAR below any of the other Holiday Inn hotels we've stayed at including Holiday Inn Expresses.

We will never be back to this hotel, would never recommend this hotel to others and have complained to IHG Corporate. There are too many hotels to choose from, and many vacancies due to the economy to settle for a dirty, outdated hotel. Do better homework than I did when booking this hotel and find something better....we will when we return to St. Louis in a couple of weeks.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Sonesta ES Suites St. Louis, responded to this review, August 4, 2012
Dear zsazsamom,

Thank you for taking the time to relay your comments regarding our property during your recent stay. I’m very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. We apologize for the inconveniences you have experienced with the services as well as the quality of our property. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. While we understand that your stay was less than satisfactory, we hope that you will still choose to stay at IHG hotels in your future travels.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

I really wanted to write this review for any families who were planning to travel to St. Louis. Let me start by saying that we are a pretty typical mid-western family. My husband and I are in our very early 40's, and our kids are 17, 15, 8, and 6. Our idea of a 5-star hotel differs from the normal classification during this time of our lives.

We traveled to St. Louis for a family vacation in 6/2012. It was my husband and I, our 15 year old son and his best friend, also 15, our 8 and 6 year old, and a Border Collie. We were looking for function over fashion on this trip, as we would be staying for four nights and doing lots of sight-seeing.

We chose the Staybridge because it has a living room, FULL kitchen, two bedrooms and bathrooms, a pool, free breakfast, and during the week, free light dinner. We were also able to bring our dog for a small fee.

We were in Building 7, toward the back, on the ground floor.

Could the suite have used a tad updating? Sure. Was it spotless? No. Did it need a little paint touch-up here and there. Yes. Was it the perfect place to stay for us? YES.

Check-in was a breeze. We completely unpacked and felt like we were staying in someone else's condo for a few days. We brought enough food to cook in the suite (hot dogs, breakfast foods, sandwich stuff, mac and cheese, lasagna, etc.) Everything we needed was in the kitchen for our use. The beds were VERY comfortable. The "master" bedroom had a huge walk-in closet that held all our extra stuff. The other bedroom was on the other side of the living room, so our older boys could stay up if they wanted and not disrupt us.

This Staybridge is about 20-30 minutes from everything you want to do. We went to the Arch, City Museum, the zoo, Turtle Playground, and Magic House. We ate dinner at Fitz's. We drove right past the Science Center several times. Yes, we could have stayed 20-30 minutes closer to the Arch and been closer to the attractions, but we would have paid at LEAST as much as we did for this Staybridge hotel, and had only one room with two beds crammed in it. We also would have had to eat our meals out all the time. To us, it was much more economical to stay outside the city. We only used 1/4 tank of gas in our Suburban the whole time we were here.

The pool was great. And there was a hot tub. The food was fine. Not top-notch, but definitely fine for our family. Breakfast had homemade waffles, eggs, and a hot protein, yogurt, fruit, toast, bagels, and cereal. The light dinners were tacos, bbq sandwiches (so good), hot wings. Good enough for us!

We asked for no housekeeping, and the front desk gave us anything we asked for, anytime we asked (like towels, trash bags, etc.)

The only downfall was that when we arrived there was a note that the building was to have it's roof re-shingled while we were there and they were "sorry for the inconvenience". Work was to be from 9-5, however it started more like 8:15 a.m. Now .... this did not bother us. We were up and around by the time the work started, and we were on the bottom floor. HOWEVER, if I would have been on the top floor, or if I would have been needing to sleep in a bit, I would have been FURIOUS! There was no prior notification. In my opinion, the hotel should have contacted each of it's customers ahead of time, or offered a discount. If I was upset about this, I would be getting a significant discount, I guarantee it! As it was, however, it didn't really disrupt us (other than we had to pick up many nails out of the parking lot and sidewalk so that we didn't end up with one in our tire or in the foot of one of our kids or dog.)

If you are a family who is not snooty about where you will or will not stay, the Staybridge is the hotel for you. We were very comfortable here and felt like we were at a "home away from home". I would highly recommend it for your family, and we will stay in Staybridges for our family vacations from now on.

Room Tip: I would certainly as for Building 7 or 8, 17 or 18. They are in the back, away from the main road an...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Arlington, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

This hotel is a very good value especially if you're traveling with family. Upon check-in, the staff was friendly. We had 2 adults and 1 child and we stayed in a 2 bedroom 2 bath suite (went June 13-15). it's very spacious and clean. I slept well and the beds were very good because I was a little fearful of that. I really appreciated the fact of not having to share a bathroom as they are connected to each room. There's also a full kitchen with everything you need pots, silverware, plates, glasses, etc. We didn't actually cook but we did have somewhere to store our leftovers and were able to reheat them. We got this hotel at a rate of $101 per night which is good for everything you get in my opinion. Another plus is the free breakfast, you get the usual fruit, muffins, bagels, juice, coffee, yogurt, and there's a make your own waffle machine. The waffles are huge! This hotel also offers a "social meeting" if you stay Tuesdays-Thursdays. During the social meeting, they served free beer and wine and light appetizers (we had grilled hamburgers). One drawback is the location. We went to the zoo and Six Flags and it took every bit of 30 minutes to get to these attractions. If the traffic is heavy it might be a little longer. So if you want to see the sites but stay here without a car you might be in trouble. I know they do offer a shuttle but I'm not sure where it goes and didn't bother to check since we had a vehicle. Anyways, long story short, I would definitely stay here again and recommend to others :-)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Sonesta ES Suites St. Louis? Share your experiences!