“This place is an absolute toilet....” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Brow Head Hotel

You added Brow Head Hotel to your Saves list
Brow Head Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Empress Drive | Empress Villas, Walney, Barrow-in-Furness LA14 3DZ, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Walney
“This place is an absolute toilet....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

After completing 162 miles on a bike you look forward to shower, beer maybe a comfy bed if u want this go somewhere else.. 8 people 1 ensuite shower 1 communal shower. My shower took 11 minutes to warm up n then I had to dance around to get wet. As the queue was building for the other shower wat spat red hot or freezing cold if somebody else where turned a tap on I invited the lads to use mine not ideal. Then this thing appeared n demanded we were out by 11am sharp and to hurry and hand in brekky requests. When I complained about the rooms the showers and the fact we had £5000 worth of cycles and no where to store them, it replied why do people always think we have storage? Which I replied u told me u did and u advertise on the official w2w website a little missleading perhaps... Anyway rooms awfull dirty and dated, breakfast disgraceful bacon raw sausage overlooked n still cold... The owners attitude stunk. Told us if we didn't pay £35 pound each she would keep our bikes to which my mate told her I wouldn't let my ferret stay here its an absolute toilet........

• Stayed May 2013
Lee G, Guest Relations Manager at Brow Head Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback.

I'm extremely disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us.

We have recently invested thousands of pounds in improving our hotel and it has become something of a labour of love. It is therefore, disheartening to receive negative reviews especially as we've received so many extremely positive comments in recent times.

With regards to the storage of your bikes: we did advise you before booking of the type of storage we offered and you acknowledged this and said this was fine.

In respect of your comments about the cleanliness, I dispute this entirely. I am extremely proud of how hard the housekeeping teams work to keep the rooms clean and tidy before a guest arrives and during their full stay.

I am also disappointed to hear that you didn't enjoy your breakfast, which is cooked fresh, using the finest sourced ingredients, we have had nothing but praise from other guests and we are baffled by your comments.

Kind regards, -

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Walsall, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

We stayed here for a night whilst taking a short break in the area.
This hotel was cheaper in price than quite a few others in the area, ordinarily this should set the alarm bells off, but we had no need to worry.
Lee, the manager booked us into room 4, which had shared facilities with 3 other rooms which seemed to be empty so no issues there. It was a basic room that was clean, the bed was comfortable and tea making facilities provided.
The shower/toilet room would have benefited from extra hooks for towels/clothes.
Breakfast was good orange juice, quality cereal, your choice of cooked items, toast and coffee. or tea.
The Brow Head Hotel would be a great choice if you are on a budget or want to stay near the beach on Walney Island.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Lee G, Guest Relations Manager at Brow Head Hotel, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Hello Graham,

Thank you for taking the time to leave great feedback. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

I will share all your comments and praise with everyone here. We are currently upgrading facilities and decor at the hotel, and I will ensure we get more hooks / shelving in the communal bathroom.

"Good value for money" ... We love offering the best value possible, and you certainly got a great rate by booking direct with us! By booking direct, we offer a greater discount than you can get anywhere else, as we don't have to pay commission fees.

24/7 booking with live availability through our website.

Halifax, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

I had a very relaxed stay at this small b&b hotel. The staff are unobtrusive but there to help should you need them, this is a quiet hotel and not for you if you seek constant attention. You choose your breakfast the evening before and advise the time you want to eat it which works beautifully because 2 minutes after you sit down there is your breakfast hot and fresh. The rooms are well decorated and the decor modern and up to date. The hotel is very clean and tidy and would suit couples and singles and is certainly not the type of hotel for stag or hen parties. There are only 6 bedrooms and most do not have en suite but as it is a smaller hotel there is not a long walk to the toilet and shower. I would stay at this hotel again and have already recommended it to family. Thank you for an enjoyable stay. I will return again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Lee G, Guest Relations Manager at Brow Head Hotel, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Hello Anne,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such encouraging & positive feedback. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us.

I will ensure all your comments and praises are passed on to those who helped make your stay with us an enjoyable one.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Brow Head Hotel when you are next in the area.

Sunderland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Stayed over easter for two nights with my wife and 8 yr old son,upgraded to the en suite which was nice and handy with kids running too and from toilets.Reading some reviews there's some truth in people gripes about this and that but the way i see it i've stayed in places costing twice this and had problems with noise/decor/staff etc.The Brow head was warm and welcoming and the room was ample for our needs with a great comfy bed,good linen and towels etc.Is it a hotel is it a B&b ? Who cares.Breakfast was good with great choice..We picked Barrow to be near the South lakes animal park which is great if you havent been,and the areas along the coast are great.
we would pick the Brow head again if we're over that way again.

Room Tip: room 2 is ensuite
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Lee G, Guest Relations Manager at Brow Head Hotel, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments and feedback.

I will pass on your comments to all involved who helped make your stay with us a good experience.

We are currently gearing up more towards the B&B market, after 35 years of offering meals in our restaurant & accommodation in the hotel side.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future and thank you for being such kind guests.

Your Brow Head Team
liverpool
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

we have been to this hotel 4 times now we cant fault it staff were great room was very clean cant fault it and breakfast was a full english plus cereal fruit juice i will continue going back there

Room Tip: we have stayed in room 1 2 and room 3 they were all ok for us
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Lee G, Public Relations Manager at Brow Head Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2012
Thank you for your kind comments.

I will pass on your review to all those who helped make your stay with us a pleasant one. I am really pleased that you have enjoyed all your stays with us and thank you for taking time to leave us positive feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Yours Faithfully,
Brow Head Hotel Team
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

Stayed here for two mid week nights, excellent price, and breakfast inicluded. The hotel is perhaps more of a B&B, but this simply adds to its quality. Its homely, clean, with friendly staff. The decor isnt modern, in fact its perhaps a little old fashioned... but I loved it! If i wanted minimalistic I would have stayed at a souless travelodge! Instead, this B&B has charm and a personal touch running throughout it, its obviously run by people who enjoy what they do.
The bed... sweet child of mine... the comfiest bed I have ever slept in! The room was small without being cramped, and had digital TV, a kettle with tea and coffee, and a sink and mirror. Spotlessly clean, two excellent nights sleep were had.
Breakfast is fantastic. I was able to fill out a menu in the evening and stated a time I would like it served in the morning, and it came when id requested it, a cooked breakfast, with a choice of cereals as well.
Only issue I came accross was perhaps the shower needed some more power, but it got me wet so what else could I really need from a shower!
I would highly recommend staying here, its a lovely place, perfect positioning with an indian accross the road, and some other nice pubs local to it as well, and just far enough away from the centre of Barrow. 5 star excellent in my book, and I intend to return as early as next week!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Lee G, Public Relations Manager at Brow Head Hotel, responded to this review, February 25, 2012
Thank you for your kind comments. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us, being a small family run business is difficult, but encouraging comments like your makes it all worth while. Your comments will be passed on to the releavant teams that were working during your stay. I hope that we can accommodate you again in the future, best wishes - Your Brow Head Hotel Team.
Alcester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2010

The Brow Head isn't a bad spot. We were disappointed to find the rooms we were booked into weren't en-suite (but that's not their fault, it's our companies fault for booking them by mistake) but they were nice rooms with digital TV, sink and a comfy bed. Staying in hotels with no en suite you usually find the toilet/shower facilities are excellent - kind of over compensating for the fact that you haven't got one in your room. But the Brow Head is an exception to this rool! It was dim lit and i can say for sure that it was the worst shower i've ever used. Barely more than a dribble. And i've been to the depths of Bolivia. This was a shame really as with the cosy room and excellent breakfast it was an otherwise faultless experience. There are better places to stay for the price in Barrow but if you're in Barrow for a short period it's really not all that bad. A far better experience than the soulless Travelodge anyway.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Lee G, Guest Relations Manager at Brow Head Hotel, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your previous stay with us!

We have made a lot of changes since you stayed with us and we hope you'll give us another chance when you are next in the area.

We have upgraded all our rooms; en-suites & economy standard, and completed a major redecoration program.

Your Brow Head Hotel Team

Been to Brow Head Hotel? Share your experiences!