“I can make better food at home” 1 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: American
Saint Louis, Missouri
“I can make better food at home”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

My husband & I decided to try this restaurant as I had received a coupon from Restaurant.com. I was looking forward to finding a nice locally owned cafe to treat my mom to a mother/daughter date. We ordered the spinach/artichoke dip as an appetizer. The flavor was good, but it had so much olive oil in it you could have poured it off the top. After a few bites, it was just too much & too oily. My husband ordered the meatball sandwich and I ordered the soup/sandwich combo. The meatball sandwich was not homemade - the meatballs tasted processed and were perfectly round. The lobster bisque tasted exactly like the lobster bisque we had just purchased from Costco - nothing Famous about that. I was offered the roasted red pepper soup which was much better. My turkey club was sub-par at best. It was served on basic wheat bread & looked like it had been put in a sandwich press -- nothing special, I could have made a better turkey club at home.

The outside seating is a nice quaint area, but unfortunately it sits just off the main road through Cottleville which has become quite a busy road so it was loud & unappealing.

Overall, my husband & I thought we would have been better off to make our own sandwiches & soup at home. I will not be bringing my mother to this cafe. We're better off at Panera, even though I like to support our locally owned restaurants.

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
“Should be called "Waste of Thyme"”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Extremely lousy food and service. Burgers tasted like cafeteria food, appetizer took at least 25 minutes from the time we ordered and was not what we expected at all. Our drinks were constantly empty, even though the server was only taking care of us and one other table. The waitress, despite the "could care less" service attitude had the audacity to charge an 18% gratuity after tax, when we used the Restaurants,com coupon. You couldn't pay me to go back there. With $25 off we still ended up spending over $40 for a family of 4 and left mad for wasting our money. Absolutely miserable experience.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Saint Louis, Missouri
“The lady doth apologize too much, methinks.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

Never been to this place, likely don't expect to return--even though the food was very, very good.

They have a wide variety of fare (perhaps that's the problem) for such a small place and having driven by for many years I was excited about trying it. If I remember correctly, including our party there were a total of 13 diners inside and four outside—total—during the time we were there.

We had PLENTY OF TIME to study the menu; while our beer and wine beverages were delivered: one-at-a-time. I actually vacillated between a pizza and the Italian tilapia, but decided on the steak sandwich at the last minute. The menu also says that they have pasta, steaks, seafood, soups and salads.

The sandwich was excellent, prepared exactly as I ordered it. The red pepper bisque my wife had as part of a soup&sandwich combo was also excellent. But the soup and the sandwich were delivered 10 minutes apart!

All the food to our party was delivered serially. One dinner at a time over at about an hour. Being polite diners that don’t eat until everyone is served, meant my grilled steak sandwich was cold and my potato chips were gone.

In our party we had three people that ordered a pasta dish, different dishes, but all used the same noodles. It appeared that the kitchen prepared each completely separately. i.e. cook the noodles, prepare the dish; cook the noodles, prepare the dish; cook the noodles…

AND this was not a ploy to serve more drinks, the kitchen in this place was just that inefficient, mismanaged and poorly run. We were in this quaint little house in Cottleville for well over two hours!

Our server did a fine job—additional drinks and water refills were prompt—and was pleasant throughout this miserable experience. Eventually, even she tired of making excuses for the kitchen delays.

The one who appeared to be a manager, apologized to our party for the delay in delivering our food at least half-a-dozen times. Each time making us more and more and more uncomfortable, by last time, we were the only diners still in the place. I think she figured the more she explained—short staff, week night, limited supplies, etc.—the better it would make us (or her) feel. Sorry.

While we try to support local, one-off, places like this, it doesn't make me want to return if they can't get it right.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Family Meal All You Can Eat--If Everone Is 2 Years Old”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

Went with my family and ordered the family pizza deal, which is described as enough to feed four to six. There was enough pizza (not up to par, with cheap topping ingredients) for four at best. There was enough salad for two at most, and enough garlic bread (very good) really for only one person. Overall, not as good as most pizza buffets. Their pomegranate and blue berry salad dressing was very good, however. We had read some good reviews elsewhere, so we were very disappointed.

• Visited August 2011