“Avoidance may be the best policy.” 2 of 5 stars

Motel 6 Columbia, MO
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   3402 I-70 Drive SE, Columbia, MO 65201   |
Ranked #23 of 36 Hotels in Columbia
Boston, Massachusetts
“Avoidance may be the best policy.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Searching in March for a big football weekend in September, the Motel 6 East represented our last hope to secure a hotel room in Columbia. There was a reason for that. I booked a room for two nights hoping for the best, but fearing the worst. Reality landed more toward the latter. Management obviously realizes the laws of supply and demand as I paid $109 per night for the room...which was a roughly 100% mark up over regular rates. Let me say first that I'm sure local management is working hard...the front desk folks were kind and helpful. However, that can't make up for the old and tired condition of this motel. Smells galore...and not sure what they were. Carpets such that you really didn't want to walk on them barefoot. Sheets were laundered, I'm sure, but it didn't seem as though they were as they were, like the motel, old and tired. The cooling system worked but made a lot of noise...seemed like it was on its last legs. Shampoo comes in small tearable pouches...hard to open. Shower is dicey at best. Maybe for $49 or so it would be what you would expect...but not for $109. We won't be back.

Room Tip: Not sure there's a "good room" to be had...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

My husband tried 2 different rooms on October 5th and ended up leaving. It's smelled discusting and gave him a headache and sick to his stomach with all the chemicals they used to clean the rooms. The halls were riddled with stains.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Perry, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

This motel exceeded all of our expectations. We also noticed the strong smell of disinfectant but that means they are cleaning thoroughly. As far as the sound of I-70, we were not surprised because of the location of the motel and honestly after about 5:00 PM, there was virtually no noise. Last month we stayed in Columbia at a more "high-end" hotel and our experience at Motel6 was much better and for less money. Our stay was so pleasant, I wonder if maybe some of the negative comments were from the other Motel6 in Columbia. Will stay here whenever we visit Columbia.

Room Tip: If you are concerned about the noise level, just request a room on the front of the motel.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Cooper City
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Agree with Brent T.'s review entirely. The hotel had a damp odor that they seem to be masking with a heavy cleaning agent smell. You will need to run the room fan all night to mask the I-70 traffic noise. We had the same issues with the cigarette holes in the blankets, and also had problems with getting the toilet to flush properly. This is a pet friendly motel and I did not feel comfortable walking around in my bare feet as the carpets looked like they needed a good cleaning. Overall the hotel looks new on the outside, but is in need of upgrades on the inside.

The biggest issue we had was with our hotel rate. Upon calling to confirm our initial reservations, we were told that they could not honor our original rate and had to raise it due to the high demand (football weekend). After complaining and speaking to the manager (this is a Franchisee), we were forced to call the national Motel 6 Guest Relations number for them to intervene and resolve the problem. Have never had this happen before and definitely question the management at this motel. Will never stay here again. Recommend the Fairfield Inn on the other side of I-70.

Chillicothe, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

At $119 a night, this hotel was simply appalling. We were staying for parents weekend and should have known when all the rooms elsewhere were booked that there was a reason this one wasn't. I slept on a towel and used washcloths on the pillow, The blanket had numerous cigarette burns and one looked like someone had vomited on it. Questionable stains were scattered on the carpet, which totally grossed us out. The strange smell and dampness made it difficult to sleep. No hairdryer, clock, or kleenex were provided and the shower had a miniscule stream. My husband wouldn't let me shower because he just wanted to get out of the room--the thought of what had probably taken place in the room creeped us out.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Vince G, Manager at Motel 6 Columbia, MO, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
We apologize that your stay did not meet expectations. We take these accusations very seriously and are investigating the claims. If possible, can you please e-mail us at m64255bo@motel6.com with your confirmation number so we can provide a resolution to this matter? Again, we apologize for this and hope you choose Motel 6 in the future.
Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

We stayed here 3 nights for the Ga-Missouri football game. Price was reasonable and hotel was very clean. Rooms are large and furnishings looked new. No restaurant or breakfast though. There are places to eat nearby, as well as a large grocery store (Patricia's) that stays open late, right next door. Easy to find off of the interstate. Did not hear any traffic noise. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We were on the 2nd floor near the elevator - but heard no noise. They told us that the 3rd floor was...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

I stayed here in July without a reservation over the weekend while filming the Hiking With Randy web series. To be honest I was very impressed and couldn't believe this was a Motel 6.

The rooms were fairly standard for the Motel 6 chain, but was very clean, quiet, had a microwave and small refrigerator as well as WIFI internet.

At the end of the Hallway were soda and snack machines as well as ice.
This motel has a nice indoor swimming pool (though I did not have time to try it out personally).

Beneficial to me was its laundry machine room, which saved me a lot of hassle, since the majority of the time I was camping while traveling in remote film locations.

The staff were very friendly and the main entrance lounge was attractive.
I stayed over the weekend and paid the typical $55.00 Motel 6 rate.

This is perhaps the nicest motel I have ever stayed in while traveling in the USA for the price.
Had a wonderful sleep here after driving 11 hours from Oklahoma City.

There was a sign indicating a fitness center, but I was unable to locate it. I didn't intend on working out, I simply wanted to see what equipment was available and its size.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Been to Motel 6 Columbia, MO? Share your experiences!