“Not worth the price” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 36 hotels in Columbia
illinois
“Not worth the price”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

We stayed at the Holiday Inn for one night in October. We paid almost $150 for one night. For that price I expect it to be spotless. I don't usually pay that much for a hotel (except for downtown Chicago), but we were staying with my son's team.

This hotel was anything but spotless. Our first room was on the bottom floor and smelled damp. The window looked out onto the construction area and air conditioning units. The bathroom was remodeled, but the rest of the room was stained and dingy. I went to the desk and asked for a room on a higher floor. We were given one on the third floor and the room itself smelled better and had a better view. However, the bathroom was outdated and not completely clean. We decided to stick with that room, because moving our stuff once was enough.

The people working were very friendly. NO complaints there. However, the carpets all over the hotel were stained, remodeling was being done, and the rooms were dim and outdated.

I would not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
hotelstaff1234, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Select Columbia - Executive Center, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear Mom2blondes, Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. We're happy to hear our staff was professional and friendly however it is unfortunate your experience with our hotel facilities prevented you from fully enjoying your stay. We are in the middle of renovating and are confident the necessary adjustments will be made in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction. Thank you again for your comments.

146 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Desloge, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Went to Columbia for my daughters volleyball game against Mighty Mizzou. We had a hard time getting a room, but decided to bid online thru Priceline.com. The price I offered was accepted by the Holiday Inn Executive Center. It was near my daughters team's motel (La Quinta). I had been to this motel several times for industry meetings, etc, so I was familiar with the decor, etc. But, had never been in one of the rooms.

You could tell the rooms were older, but had been updated. The room we were in was perfectly fine and we were happy with the price vs room. The bathroom had a nicer glass shower, but not tub (not an issue with us).

About the only issue we had (and it was very minor) was that the iron didn't work. But, I notified Josephine? at the front desk and we had one in less than 10 minutes.

Room Tip: We had room 332 which looked overlooked the large lobby/conference area. This is a good room.if you...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
hotelstaff1234, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Select Columbia - Executive Center, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear Semoguy, Thank you for your feedback. We're happy to hear that your stay was enjoyable and you had a good experience with our staff. We're always looking to improve our hotel so we appreciate all your thoughts and comments. Please come back and visit us again soon.
Maryville, Missouri, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

This hotel boasted both an indoor and outdoor pool, fitness center, and in some places, a whirlpool, other sites don't mention it. I called to confirm while on the way and the operator could not find my reservation. She insisted that I must have made my reservation at another Holiday Inn. Finally she realized that she was spelling my name wrong.

When we arrived, we found that while it looks like a very nice hotel, the indoor pool was shut down, the outdoor pool was not only full of leaves, but there was algae growing on the bottom of the pool. There were a couple of things covered with tarps as though they were not working, but I don't know what they were. The water was freezing cold, (in early September) and even my son wouldn't get in. We never did find a working whirlpool. By the way, with few working amenities, there was no breakfast provided either. While the amenities that were promised were non-existent, the price was not adjusted at all. This hotel is very overpriced, and it would have been nice to know that renovations were going on. We would have stayed elsewhere if we had known that there was nothing to do. Outside of the exercise room, this Holiday Inn is a dud! I'm finished with Holiday Inn. I have payed much less for much better amenities.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Heather H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Select Columbia - Executive Center, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
We truly apologize the indoor pool was closed during your visit. We had an unexpected situation that required our immediate attention and that has been resolved. The outdoor pool can be a little tricky this time of year as the leaves begin to fall, but we were working to keep it open a bit longer with the indoor pool being out for a few days.
I would welcome the opportunity to visit with you via telephone. I may be reached at 573-445-8531, ext. 785.
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I hope to hear from you.
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

We stayed here on a cross-country trip with a rental truck. We had no problems parking the large truck in the parking lot. The service at the front desk was very efficient and friendly. Our rooms were clean and everything was in good working order. We were offered passes to the executive lounge, so we went there in the evening for a glass of wine. The food offered was very limited, but the service was nice. We tried to eat in the Sports Bar attached to the hotel, but despite there being only two other people in the restaurant when we got there, the waitress and bartender couldn't be bothered with helping us, so we walked out and told the hotel manager about this problem. We did eat breakfast in the restaurant, but it was a buffet and the service was very nice.

Bakersfield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

First time staying here as we flew in to drop off my daughter at college. Yes, it's a bummer the hotel is undergoing renovations but they seem needed. Our room was great though, no complaints. To compensate, we got free drink coupons which was nice and the buffet breakfast which is included in the price was great! They do have a shuttle service to the hotel which is $20 but that's cheaper than a taxi! They really helped me out when I needed a quick ride four miles away..and they made sure I got where I needed to go! One suggestion....people tend to hang out near the temporary entrance and smoke...can we move them further away so we don't have to walk through a smoke cloud?

Room Tip: There are some first floor rooms right off the pool that look nice but I'm not sure if they are...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Olathe, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

I have been staying at this hotel for over 20-years and have attended several conventions here. Over the years, previous management let this place run down to the ground to the point I stopped staying here several years ago. Traveling here on business and getting a great rate, I decided to stay here and give it another chance. Columbia has extensive work with the roads and storm water drains around the hotel and the hotel itself is undergoing extensive renovation. I like this hotel and was pleased to see that it is finally getting updated. My room was one of the updated rooms and must say I was very pleased with the renovation and updating. I will admit the lobby renovation is unique with the three work stations. Every staff member I encountered was pleasant and helpful. Like I said, I have always like this hotel and pleased to see it getting back to its prime.

I will be back in a couple of weeks and plan to stay here again to see where they are with their upgrades.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Heather H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Select Columbia - Executive Center, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We truly appreciate that you have returned to staying with us while visiting Columbia.
The entire staff and management is extremely excited about the recent updates and much more is coming so stay tuned!
Independence, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

This hotel is in desperate need of a remodel. Mold and water stains are throughout the hotel. A lot of things no longer work. It seems like it used to be a very nice hotel, but the owners are clearly not maintaining it. The staff however, was very friendly and helpful. The hotel is also in a great location.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Select Columbia - Executive Center, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Dear mckapke,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay with us. We appreciate your kind words regarding our staff. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. We are sorry our hotel did not live up to your expectations and regret you were not satisfied with the conditions of the hotel. We are working hard to improve our product and would love for you to give us an opportunity to make up for your poor experience.

Again, many thanks for the feedback and our apologies for the shortcomings.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Select Columbia - Executive Center? Share your experiences!