“Very disappointing!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 36 hotels in Columbia
Maryville, Missouri, United States
“Very disappointing!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

This hotel boasted both an indoor and outdoor pool, fitness center, and in some places, a whirlpool, other sites don't mention it. I called to confirm while on the way and the operator could not find my reservation. She insisted that I must have made my reservation at another Holiday Inn. Finally she realized that she was spelling my name wrong.

When we arrived, we found that while it looks like a very nice hotel, the indoor pool was shut down, the outdoor pool was not only full of leaves, but there was algae growing on the bottom of the pool. There were a couple of things covered with tarps as though they were not working, but I don't know what they were. The water was freezing cold, (in early September) and even my son wouldn't get in. We never did find a working whirlpool. By the way, with few working amenities, there was no breakfast provided either. While the amenities that were promised were non-existent, the price was not adjusted at all. This hotel is very overpriced, and it would have been nice to know that renovations were going on. We would have stayed elsewhere if we had known that there was nothing to do. Outside of the exercise room, this Holiday Inn is a dud! I'm finished with Holiday Inn. I have payed much less for much better amenities.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Heather H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Select Columbia - Executive Center, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
We truly apologize the indoor pool was closed during your visit. We had an unexpected situation that required our immediate attention and that has been resolved. The outdoor pool can be a little tricky this time of year as the leaves begin to fall, but we were working to keep it open a bit longer with the indoor pool being out for a few days.
I would welcome the opportunity to visit with you via telephone. I may be reached at 573-445-8531, ext. 785.
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I hope to hear from you.

151 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

We stayed here on a cross-country trip with a rental truck. We had no problems parking the large truck in the parking lot. The service at the front desk was very efficient and friendly. Our rooms were clean and everything was in good working order. We were offered passes to the executive lounge, so we went there in the evening for a glass of wine. The food offered was very limited, but the service was nice. We tried to eat in the Sports Bar attached to the hotel, but despite there being only two other people in the restaurant when we got there, the waitress and bartender couldn't be bothered with helping us, so we walked out and told the hotel manager about this problem. We did eat breakfast in the restaurant, but it was a buffet and the service was very nice.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Bakersfield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

First time staying here as we flew in to drop off my daughter at college. Yes, it's a bummer the hotel is undergoing renovations but they seem needed. Our room was great though, no complaints. To compensate, we got free drink coupons which was nice and the buffet breakfast which is included in the price was great! They do have a shuttle service to the hotel which is $20 but that's cheaper than a taxi! They really helped me out when I needed a quick ride four miles away..and they made sure I got where I needed to go! One suggestion....people tend to hang out near the temporary entrance and smoke...can we move them further away so we don't have to walk through a smoke cloud?

Room Tip: There are some first floor rooms right off the pool that look nice but I'm not sure if they are...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Olathe, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

I have been staying at this hotel for over 20-years and have attended several conventions here. Over the years, previous management let this place run down to the ground to the point I stopped staying here several years ago. Traveling here on business and getting a great rate, I decided to stay here and give it another chance. Columbia has extensive work with the roads and storm water drains around the hotel and the hotel itself is undergoing extensive renovation. I like this hotel and was pleased to see that it is finally getting updated. My room was one of the updated rooms and must say I was very pleased with the renovation and updating. I will admit the lobby renovation is unique with the three work stations. Every staff member I encountered was pleasant and helpful. Like I said, I have always like this hotel and pleased to see it getting back to its prime.

I will be back in a couple of weeks and plan to stay here again to see where they are with their upgrades.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Heather H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Select Columbia - Executive Center, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We truly appreciate that you have returned to staying with us while visiting Columbia.
The entire staff and management is extremely excited about the recent updates and much more is coming so stay tuned!
Independence, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

This hotel is in desperate need of a remodel. Mold and water stains are throughout the hotel. A lot of things no longer work. It seems like it used to be a very nice hotel, but the owners are clearly not maintaining it. The staff however, was very friendly and helpful. The hotel is also in a great location.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Select Columbia - Executive Center, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Dear mckapke,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay with us. We appreciate your kind words regarding our staff. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. We are sorry our hotel did not live up to your expectations and regret you were not satisfied with the conditions of the hotel. We are working hard to improve our product and would love for you to give us an opportunity to make up for your poor experience.

Again, many thanks for the feedback and our apologies for the shortcomings.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Fredericktown
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

This hotel is right along the lines of average. It seems to be set up as striving for the upper echelon of properties, but not quite making it. The rooms were dated, but mostly comfortable, and the foyer, lobby, etc. always seemed depressed. While the staff were friendly, it seemed the atmosphere in the public areas of the hotel was deflated. Also, I would have loved for there to have been furniture in the room other than a bed and desk chair. It is nice to have an actual chair to sit down in, and my room offered no such thing.
This Holiday Inn is very conveniently located to I-70, the Columbia Mall, and it is only a short drive downtown. Overall, this place is average, not bad, but should cost less, or upgrade. I do not like being in a parking lot, and lobby that feels like a scene from the Walking Dead. This Holiday Inn could be doing a great deal better, and for the money should be.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Select Columbia - Executive Center, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear paulinmo,

Thank you for leaving a comprehensive review, highlighting not only the bad but also the good. We are so glad you liked the convenient location of our hotel in the area. We apologize for the room accommodations you received that was less than satisfactory. We also apologize for the condition of our hotel affected your stay negatively. Your feedback is very important to us as this continually helps us improve the facilities and guest services we offer to our guests. Your review will be used to consider improvements needed and we hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Eureka, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Our team has stayed at this hotel the past two years during the Show Me State Games. The hotel itself is very nice. We stayed in a non-smoking room, and the full beds were comfortable. We stayed on the 3rd floor, and it does not appear these rooms have been renovated. The bathroom is dated, but met our family's needs. The walls are thin so you will hear your neighbors and people in the hallway. When the kids weren't playing in the games, we were at the pool. They have a large pool area, which is great if you are traveling with a large group of kids. My big complaint is CHECK-IN! You can't check-in until 4:00, and they don't allow early check-ins. That means EVERYONE starts checking in at 4:00! We waited in line for an hour to get our room keys. Last year was just as bad. This is a big hotel, and I would think they would be able to come up with a better plan when they know there will be a high volume of check-ins.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Heather H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Select Columbia - Executive Center, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay. We know you have several options while visiting Columbia for the Show-Me State Games.
We do try to check guests in early if at all possible. However, on this particular date, the hotel was fortunate to be completely sold out the night before. This resulted in check-in taking place at 4 p.m. as guaranteed.
Thank you again for your kind words and review. We hope to see you again!

Been to Holiday Inn Select Columbia - Executive Center? Share your experiences!