“Disappointing Experience” 3 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #15 of 36 Hotels in Columbia
“Disappointing Experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

I was really disappointed in my room. The air was stale and the linens smelled stale and musty. The shower was not as clean as it needed to be. I politely reported my concerns to an assistant manager. The general manager was supposed to call me back but I never received a return call.

• Stayed June 2013
Heather H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Select Columbia - Executive Center, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
I truly apologize the stay did not meet your expectations. The staff did share your concerns and I did try to call and followup. Unfortunately, the phone number on file would not go through.
I would welcome the opportunity to visit with you. I may be reached at 573-445-8531.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Columbia, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I live in Columbia but used this hotel for my wedding guests to stay. Everyone loved it. Their rooms were clean, comfortable and everyone was very nice. The entire staff is friendly. I would recommend this hotel to anyone coming to Columbia. Great access to the highway and near local attractions.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
We enjoy working with all the groups and conventions at the hotel and appreciate the review.
Hope to see you again soon!
Marthasville, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

We had a Seminar here on the weekend of June 08/13. There was around 500 that attended. The rooms, Meals, and Staff were Perfect. We had dinner on Friday night, Saturday was Breakfast, Meetings, Lunch, Meetings, and Dinner. Sunday was Breakfast, Meeting, and Check out. There was very few that complained about Minor things. You will never get 500 people together and Completely Satisfy all of them. I thought the meals were very good, You needed to season the items just a little because not everyone likes the same amount of salt or pepper. The rooms were spacious and clean. I would not hesitate to set up another gathering here.

Room Tip: The rooms that overlook the pool can be a bit noisy till the pool closes at 10:00 pm
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Stayed at hotel for conference. Sound travels quite well in the hotel, right through the thin walls and doors accounting for a very bad nights sleep due to people making to much noise in the hallways. At breakfast, for a conference {meaning more than 10 people} they did not come close to providing enough foods, as a result we were still eating when the first conference speaker was trying to present.,

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Select Columbia - Executive Center, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Dear TCPDump,

Thank you for taking the time to communicate your concerns. I would like to express our sincere apologies for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay and for the inconvenience this has invariably caused you.

We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your comments. We strive to provide the best guest experience possible, and may use some of the feedback you’ve provided to further improve our service. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Thank you again for your comments. Your business is valued and we hope your future travel plans will continue to include IHG properties.

Regards,

Brenda J.
eMedia Coordinator
IHGCare
Saint Charles, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

A very accommodating experience.
The hotel staff had our room ready and very clean before the expected arrival time.
The food at their restaurant "Spanky's" was not too bad for a sports bar and grill.
Easy access to Highway 70 and most importantly only a few minutes from Mizzou!
Pricing was a little steep but worth it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

The reviews on this hotel are all over the place, why one would be a member of "HI rewards" is beyond me, makes sense to be a member at REI but not an establishment like this. Hotels are usually pretty similar but this place falls into a different category. Seems much larger then it needs to be and upon entry thue entire building has a musty smell and I feel like it is no longer 2013.

While in the lobby they have three overly modern, odd shaped desks that the employees have to bend over to use the computers at. The largest issue was the entire outdoor area was closed and when we asked about using the area we were told we would trip and they can't be liable.

Onto the obvious water damage in the entire building, after the obviously musty smell I began to check for signs of water damage and almost immediately after entering the large open area over the lounge bar and looking up I saw poorly done stucco patches on the beams. The obvious moisture issues carried on through out the building from various walls in common areas, near elevators and even in individual rooms, I went into three and noticed water damage and different examples of poor repair in each. As well they should pay their finish carpenters more money so they do a good job, or by them some good materials so they can get their crown molding joints correct. And these observations are after spending no more then 5 hours in the hotel and room.

Another issue was that the room was quite large but had only one desk and a chair where this was a double room, I was expecting another table and chairs and at least one arm chair, but I suppose that's to much to ask for a hotel of this size. There were also no towel racks, forcing us to have to use many towels, not at all environmental friendly. Nor was there any mention of corporate responsibility for the local environment they affect and the other effects they have on the local community, many of their employees didn't seem happy to be there...

And after reading reviews it seems like the hot tub has been missing for some time. The outdoor pool is advertised as "seasonal" but it is mid May and muggy outdoors yet the entire pool area is closed off and the indoor pool is locked at 10, that seems a bit early. I have no need to lift weight at 11pm but I dip in the pool may be relaxing.

Seems like the entire Holiday Inn organization is squarely focused on profits while providing a poor representation of customer service and facilities management.

• Stayed May 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Select Columbia - Executive Center, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Dear TravellingStuck,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to write a review of our hotel. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and we are truly sorry to read that we failed to exceed your expectations for your stay. As our success is measured by how our guests evaluate our services and facilities, We want you to know that the feedback we receive are taken seriously.

We would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay. Nevertheless, We want to assure you that the points you've raised in this review will be looked into.

Though we would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and hope that you will consider us again on your next visit.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is conveniently located by the Columbia Mall, with lots of shopping and dining choices nearby. (As for dining, I highly recommend the Flat Branch Pub & Brewery - see my review on that!) They are currently doing some road construction on the main road by the hotel, but nothing that caused any accessibility issues to the hotel. When I checked in I was dismayed to learn something went awry with my corporate travel booking and I was apparently booked for two double beds instead of my customary king. The staff changed my room with no problems and seemed happy to accommodate my request. That really wowed me right there. The rooms themselves are nicely apportioned with a fridge, flat panel tv, dresser, desk and armchair with ottoman. The doors to the rooms are a little dated but lock securely so that wasn't an issue for me. The gym is large and nicely apportioned with a variety of workout equipment, including CrossFit style items! There are washing machines on site as well. This was a business trip so I didn't get a chance to check out the pools. There are two restaurants on site, which I didn't get a chance to check out but it's nice to have options. When I had to request an item for my room it was promptly brought to me. The front desk was helpful on dinner recommendations as well. It doesn't appear that breakfast is included if that is a concern of any one. I received a call from the manager every day to ensure my stay was going well and that I didn't need anything (I am a Priority Club member so not sure if that had anything to do with it). Overall I feel like the value is worth the price of the hotel, and I will stay here again when business brings me back to Columbia.

• Stayed May 2013

Been to Holiday Inn Select Columbia - Executive Center? Share your experiences!