“Never stayed at a Holiday Inn before...” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #17 of 36 hotels in Columbia
“Never stayed at a Holiday Inn before...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

The reviews on this hotel are all over the place, why one would be a member of "HI rewards" is beyond me, makes sense to be a member at REI but not an establishment like this. Hotels are usually pretty similar but this place falls into a different category. Seems much larger then it needs to be and upon entry thue entire building has a musty smell and I feel like it is no longer 2013.

While in the lobby they have three overly modern, odd shaped desks that the employees have to bend over to use the computers at. The largest issue was the entire outdoor area was closed and when we asked about using the area we were told we would trip and they can't be liable.

Onto the obvious water damage in the entire building, after the obviously musty smell I began to check for signs of water damage and almost immediately after entering the large open area over the lounge bar and looking up I saw poorly done stucco patches on the beams. The obvious moisture issues carried on through out the building from various walls in common areas, near elevators and even in individual rooms, I went into three and noticed water damage and different examples of poor repair in each. As well they should pay their finish carpenters more money so they do a good job, or by them some good materials so they can get their crown molding joints correct. And these observations are after spending no more then 5 hours in the hotel and room.

Another issue was that the room was quite large but had only one desk and a chair where this was a double room, I was expecting another table and chairs and at least one arm chair, but I suppose that's to much to ask for a hotel of this size. There were also no towel racks, forcing us to have to use many towels, not at all environmental friendly. Nor was there any mention of corporate responsibility for the local environment they affect and the other effects they have on the local community, many of their employees didn't seem happy to be there...

And after reading reviews it seems like the hot tub has been missing for some time. The outdoor pool is advertised as "seasonal" but it is mid May and muggy outdoors yet the entire pool area is closed off and the indoor pool is locked at 10, that seems a bit early. I have no need to lift weight at 11pm but I dip in the pool may be relaxing.

Seems like the entire Holiday Inn organization is squarely focused on profits while providing a poor representation of customer service and facilities management.

• Stayed May 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Select Columbia - Executive Center, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Dear TravellingStuck,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to write a review of our hotel. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and we are truly sorry to read that we failed to exceed your expectations for your stay. As our success is measured by how our guests evaluate our services and facilities, We want you to know that the feedback we receive are taken seriously.

We would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay. Nevertheless, We want to assure you that the points you've raised in this review will be looked into.

Though we would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and hope that you will consider us again on your next visit.

Joel B

156 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is conveniently located by the Columbia Mall, with lots of shopping and dining choices nearby. (As for dining, I highly recommend the Flat Branch Pub & Brewery - see my review on that!) They are currently doing some road construction on the main road by the hotel, but nothing that caused any accessibility issues to the hotel. When I checked in I was dismayed to learn something went awry with my corporate travel booking and I was apparently booked for two double beds instead of my customary king. The staff changed my room with no problems and seemed happy to accommodate my request. That really wowed me right there. The rooms themselves are nicely apportioned with a fridge, flat panel tv, dresser, desk and armchair with ottoman. The doors to the rooms are a little dated but lock securely so that wasn't an issue for me. The gym is large and nicely apportioned with a variety of workout equipment, including CrossFit style items! There are washing machines on site as well. This was a business trip so I didn't get a chance to check out the pools. There are two restaurants on site, which I didn't get a chance to check out but it's nice to have options. When I had to request an item for my room it was promptly brought to me. The front desk was helpful on dinner recommendations as well. It doesn't appear that breakfast is included if that is a concern of any one. I received a call from the manager every day to ensure my stay was going well and that I didn't need anything (I am a Priority Club member so not sure if that had anything to do with it). Overall I feel like the value is worth the price of the hotel, and I will stay here again when business brings me back to Columbia.

• Stayed May 2013
Concordia, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I was with a large convention for three days/2 nights. Luncheon, Dinner and Banquet food was NOT diabetic as I had requested and wait staff would NOT substitute. I asked for a manager, but, he/she never showed. I paid a lot of money for food that I could not eat and had to go elsewhere for my meals.

The 'Hospitality Coffee' provided by the hotel from 8-10 AM was empty of the bagels and coffee by 9 AM and not refilled. There was no tea and when I requested some hot water and a tea bag, I was told that it was impossible.

My room was booked online and it was acceptable, not great as I had paid for. The a/c was on and it was 63 degrees upon arrival on a day when the temperature outside was 40's and snow. There were no instructions on how to change it from a/c to heat in the hotel notebook and the phone lines to the front desk were constantly busy. I had to go to the front desk and ask.

The air in the entire hotel was hard to breathe as it smelled of smoke and very dusty. As I am a Priority Club member I expected better.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Select Columbia - Executive Center, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear 249DomesticGoddess,

Thank you for the review of our hotel. We just want to assure you that our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. We are disappointed that we did not meet your expectations on this particular day. Though we would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and we hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Connie D
Frisco, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Upon check in my group was informed by the front desk clerk that since we booked through an online travel site and they were so full we had to be moved to smoking rooms. Apparently when you don't book directly through them they give you the rooms located on the ground floor that are disgusting. My friend arrived in her room and kicked off her shoes to relax and noticed men's shoes and a briefcase. She quickly left the room and informed the front desk. They actually placed a single woman in a room that was already occupied. To make matters worse the room they moved her to was on the ground level and the window did not lock. She didn't sleep a wink that night and and left the next day. The hotel would not even refund her for the night she didn't stay there. I was able to move to a non smoking room, but had to share a bed with my friend. There was no hot water and the smoke alarm battery was low so it beeped for hours before I finally figured out what was going on. Upon check out we talked to the manager and explained all of our troubles only to be informed once again that she could not help us do to the fact we booked through a online site. I told her that they shouldn't even sell rooms through an online site if they are not going to treat the guest with the same respect as someone who booked directly through them. This hotel is dirty and outdated and management could care less about customer service.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Select Columbia - Executive Center, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear PPresley,

Thank you for posting a review of our property. We aim to provide the best possible service and experience and it is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing. I truly regret the inconveniences you had with the rooms that you were given and mishaps in the staff service. Kindly be assured that your comments have been noted and this will be used to consider improvements needed at our facility. We take the confidence our guests place in us to rectify unsatisfactory circumstances.

Again, thanks for the candid feedback and my sincerest apologies.

Regards,

Pam G.
McHenry, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

I arrived on a Saturday. Bad idea.
Understaffed. Long lines. Chaos!
When I finally arrived at my top level Executive room, which I paid a premium price for, it made no difference. Ice machine out. No one would answer the phone for over an hour to give me my wi-if address.Awful. The one positive was the housekeeping crew who were kind and the room was very clean. Then the next morning came and the toilet not only overflowed, onto my bag, but gushered like a fire hydrant. Horrific! The manager removed $40 from my charge. Doesn't matter, I just wanted to get out of there. I will never return...

• Stayed May 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Select Columbia - Executive Center, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear Kevin B,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn around. It sounds like we fell below your expectations, and I apologize you were not satisfied with the room conditions. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. Thank you again for your review and we hope to have an opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Janice A
lethab2000
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I stayed here 4/20/13 I had booked through their website. When I arrived at 5pm the line was long and when it was my turn the computer was down, I requested they not give my room away since I needed to go to a wedding and that I would return after. The clerk Stephen said no problem they would hold my room until 2am. The hotel had a softball league staying there so many teenagers were about. When I returned at 9:30 pm I again waited in line and the people ahead of me were having difficulties apparently their booking wasn't available and they were going to have to switch rooms during their stay as well as have the wrong room the first night. I am usually patient, but when it was finally my turn the hotel didn't have the room I had booked available(king non-smoking) and wanted to give me a double-double. I told them I had paid more for a king and that is what I was expecting, the clerk called over another clerk and offered me the double-double again. I explained that I paid extra, and am a priority club member, that if I couldn't have the room I had booked, I would like a partial refund, or additional club points. Magically they found a room for me then. The room was large, clean, nicely furnished, well updated, and the bathroom was huge. I was able to enjoy a long soak in the tub, with nice soaps from bath and bodyworks. The breakfast buffet was tasty with lots of options. The wait staff in the sports zone was fast and friendly. The low carb ice cream in the sports zone was really good. The location is next to the Columbia mall and the interstate so it's very handy. If the check in had been better I would have upped my review score.

Room Tip: request a quiet floor if you go on a weekend due to all of the kids activity groups that stay there
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Select Columbia - Executive Center, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear lethab2000,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding breakfast.

However, We’re sorry you received poor customer service from our front desk which was unacceptable. We will address this point. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
McHenry, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I stayed here for two nights. Friday and Saturday. Convenient off I70. Beside the very outdated Columbia Mall, it was a disaster from the word "go". Long check in lines! NO one would answer the operator line. Awful service. I stayed and paid extra to stay on the executive top segregated floor. It made no difference. Children running up and down the hall. Out of control. No one at the Hotel would answer the phone to give me the wi-if access code. I ended up calling the 800 number. They were horrified. The room was clean.So, cheers to housekeeping. The ONLY positive about this facility.
The Hotel was way understaffed and incapable of dealing with the weekend attendance. No HD TV. NEVER again. KB

• Stayed May 2012
Dear Kevin B,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. Please allow us to apologize for the issues you had during check-in and any inconvenience you may have experienced with the service you received during your stay. We also apologize you were not satisfied with the amenities in your room and the noise which affected your stay negatively. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and guest services are superior and strive to be the best hotel around. For that reason, the comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to show you how great our hotel is.

Anthony M
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Select Columbia - Executive Center? Share your experiences!